• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of walmart

Kloutier

imported post

I was kicked out of walmart (springvil) while waiting for a new release of a game for open carrying He told me its was corporate policy that forbade it. I did not fight it since I had only only started to open carry for about a week or so. However I went home and found out that the policy of wal-mart is to follow state law. I went back the following night and the manager who kicked me out this time did not say anything. I think he perhaps did the same research I did.

I just thought I would share this little story about Open carry harassment.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Kloutier wrote:
I was kicked out of walmart (springvil) while waiting for a new release of a game for open carrying He told me its was corporate policy that forbade it. I did not fight it since I had only only started to open carry for about a week or so. However I went home and found out that the policy of wal-mart is to follow state law. I went back the following night and the manager who kicked me out this time did not say anything. I think he perhaps did the same research I did.

Awesome. Now there is one more Wally World manager who knows better. :) It's good that you researched and went right back there and exercised your right.

Kevin

scorpioajr

imported post

Kloutier wrote:

Sorry to hear about your experience. Walmarts are hit or miss these days with OC. it's funny becasue THAT Walamart in Sprinville, righto ff the exit, is the location I OC'd with my buddy for his first OC adventure. We bought ammo, played the demo games and then bought some lunch. No harassment.

This might also speak volumes as to how LITTLE people actually notice the OC'd Firearm. IMO.

Kloutier

imported post

Yea I think it was the sups problem. If he ever brings it up again I will likly say. I understand wal-marts policy and you also have the right to ask me to leave but when you do ask me to leave for trust passing I want you to say Is because you make me feel uncomfortable and not that is a wal-mart policy.

Porter N

imported post

wal-mart's employee policy is that NO walmart employee can ever have a gun on walmart propery on or off the clock (except for a few states that protect employees by allowing them to keep their gun in their car)

so i think most management has heard that policy somewhere along the lines and applies it to the public, which is incorrect. Their policy is to follow state law for non-employees.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Porter N,

Walmarts actualinternal policy for employees is that while ON the clock they can never have a gun on them or in the car (some states override this and the car is allowed).

Walmart also says no employee OFF the clock may have a "loaded" gun onany property of walmart/sams. Employees of walmart/sams may carry an unloaded firearm in the store or on the property provided it is not loaded and the chamber is empty.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
Porter N,

Walmarts actualinternal policy for employees is that while ON the clock they can never have a gun on them or in the car (some states override this and the car is allowed).

Walmart also says no employee OFF the clock may have a "loaded" gun onany property of walmart/sams. Employees of walmart/sams may carry an unloaded firearm in the store or on the property provided it is not loaded and the chamber is empty.
that's not how one of my managers reads the policy. i'm no longer allowed to carry in the store i work at while off the clock, even when no one else really cares.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
AP-01 is the policy, it is pretty clear and specifically reads no loaded firearm. Use the open door policy to kick it up the chain as your manager is wrong.
Wal Mart's AP-01 policy reads

"updated September 30, 2009

This policy applies to all associates who work for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., or one of its subsidiary companies, in the United States ("Walmart").

Policy

Associates shall not carry or have in their possession any firearm (loaded or unloaded, authentic or imitation) while on company property (to include vehicles) or when attending any time of company business or function. This would include individuals who are licensed to carry a concealed weapon in states with a concealed handgun law. This is applicable to all associates who are coming to or leaving work for official company business

Furthermore, associates will not maintain a loaded firearm on company property (to include vehicles) without the express prior written approval of an officer in Asset Protection/Corporate Security.

State Exceptions

Pursuant to state law, an associate in Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oklahoma, or Utah who lawfully possesses a firearm may have the firearm locked in a vehicle on company property. An associate in Florida who has a concealed carry permit and lawfully possesses a firearm may have the firearm locked in a vehicle on company property.

In certain circumstances, the company may employ off-duty police officers for non-security positions within a given facility. If the police department by which he/she is employed requires him/her to carry a concealed weapon as a part of their off duty responsibility, this is a conflict with company policy, and will not be allowed. This person would not be eligible for hire in any position other than providing off-duty police security presence, where available. Off-duty officers employed for the sole purpose of providing security at a given location shall be permitted to carry a firearm if authorized by the Police Department of which they are a member.

Failure to follow these guidelines may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination."

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

correct, although with our policies, I wouldn't print internal ones online :)

The part of no firearms at all is followed by the only applying to company business or to and from such.

The second paragraph is what applies when we are not doing something work related, the loaded weapon part.

Porter N

imported post

as of april 19 2010, AP-01 has been revised to ONLY ban on-the-clock carry and now says nothing about off the clock carry.

so, in my opinion, it make sense that if their corporate policy for associates allows off-the-clock carry, all stores should allow customer carry.

Gpaw45

imported post

Wal-Mart Letter, 15 May 2010.

I was just in Walmart of Clinton (15-May-2010) and was cornered by two security guards and the so-called store manager. I was told it was there policy that OC'ing in Wally world is strictly prohibited. You can concealed with a permit, but not openly. They are a public business open to the public, they say the property is private and it scares the customers. Maybe the customers should read up on their state laws in-stead of being sheep! I was given a print out by their so-called manager who looked as if she was ready to piss herself. (Sorry) Deer in the headlight look the whole time I was talking to the security guard. (Rod Gentle, Assistant Protection) The letter that I was given states:

Team,

This is the ruling on the gun activist that is trying to bring his side arm in our stores.
Please read the email below mine.
* We do not have to post a sign at the front of the store
* We have the right to refuse to allow guns in our stores.
* It is company policy that no fire arms are allowed in the store by customers or associates.
Thank You, Don Schulthies
Market Manager
Market 281 SLC, UT.
Region 44

Sorry but this sounds like a load of horse crap to me. I was Pissed to say the least, I would like to know what Wal-marts Corporate Policy is not local.
I read on here some where about someone else having the same problem in west valley and the west valley store found out that they were wrong to ask the customer to leave because they where Oc-ing. I have an email from
Mark Johnson
Associate General Counsel
Wal-Mart Stores Division Legal
Phone 479-204-9131
Fax 479-204-9575
[email]mark.johnson@walmartlegal.com[/email]

If we want to keep our gun-rights we had better let those who are trying to keep it from us or even take it away let them know how we feel. I for one will not go back to wally-world in Clinton until they change this policy. I am a gov employee and will make sure this email is sent everyone I can. If you agree please pass this on. We as good law abiding citizens are not allowed to carry a side arm openly something is very wrong. What really irritates me is wally-world says they will not put up a sign saying this. They would rather catch you and corner you in the store with three people and make policy there. Sorry this is BS to the highest degree!!!!!!!!!!
53-5a-102
(7) Nothing in this section restricts or expands private property rights. (Someone please explain this part to me). MY home number is 801-820-5338 ask for Larry.