• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cantor's office is "shot"

TFred

imported post

It's all over the news today that Rep. Eric Cantor's office was vandalized earlier this week by a bullet shattering a front window.

A story published on the WRIC web site indicates the impact was in a downward motion, which, unless the shot was taken from a nearby rooftop, would indicate either a random, or extremely lucky shot from far away.

TFred

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/25/rep-cantors-richmond-campaign-office-shot-overnight/

WRIC Story:

http://www.wric.com/global/Story.asp?s=12203579

Shot Fired Into Cantor's Richmond Office

Richmond Police are investigating what they are calling an "act of vandalism" after U.S. Rep. Eric Cantor's local campaign office was struck with gunfire earlier this week.

Richmond Police officials said their investigating revealed the bullet was fired into the air, then struck the window in a downward direction, with enough force to shatter the glass.

No one was inside the building at the time of the shooting, approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday. The office is located in the Reagan Building, 25 East Main Street.

Richmond Police officials said the department is sharing information about their investigation with other law enforcement agencies, including Homeland Security.

No suspects have been named. Stay with 8news for updates.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
It's all over the news today that Rep. Eric Cantor's office was vandalized earlier this week by a bullet shattering a front window.

A story published on the WRIC web site indicates the impact was in a downward motion, which, unless the shot was taken from a nearby rooftop, would indicate either a random, or extremely lucky shot from far away.

TFred

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/25/rep-cantors-richmond-campaign-office-shot-overnight/

WRIC Story:

http://www.wric.com/global/Story.asp?s=12203579

Shot Fired Into Cantor's Richmond Office

Richmond Police are investigating what they are calling an "act of vandalism" after U.S. Rep. Eric Cantor's local campaign office was struck with gunfire earlier this week.

Richmond Police officials said their investigating revealed the bullet was fired into the air, then struck the window in a downward direction, with enough force to shatter the glass.

No one was inside the building at the time of the shooting, approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday. The office is located in the Reagan Building, 25 East Main Street.

Richmond Police officials said the department is sharing information about their investigation with other law enforcement agencies, including Homeland Security.

No suspects have been named. Stay with 8news for updates.

I shot a bullet into the air
and where it lands
I know not where

It doesn't surprise me. Night time in some parts of Richmond sounds like the opening day of Dove season:lol:

Repeater

imported post

Cantor says shot fired at campaign office building
The Richmond Police Department is investigating an act of vandalism agsinst the Reagan Building, 25 E. Main St., where Rep. Eric I. Cantor, R-7th, has a campagn office.

Police said a first floor window was struck by a bullet at around 1 a.m. on Tuesday. The building was not occupied, police said. A preliminary investigation determined that a bullet was fired into the air and struck the window at a downward direction, landing about a foot from the window. The bullet had enough force to break the windowpane but not penetrate the window blinds, according to a news release.

There are no suspects, Gene Lepley, a spokesman for the department, said.
Some Democrats are accusing Cantor of lying:
Yesterday, Congressman Van Hollen called upon Republican leaders to condemn the harsh rhetoric that is fanning the flames of extremism around the country. Today, Mr. Cantor had the opportunity to join Mr. Van Hollen in calling for restraint. Instead, he chose to use his press conference to level false accusations. This is straight out of the Republicans' political playbook of deflecting responsibility and distracting attention away from a serious issue.
- Doug Thornell, spokesman for Rep. Chris Van Hollen.

driveramsII

imported post

I think I remember what sounded like a gun shot late tuesday night. Maybe this was it as my apt. is only 3 blocks away. Then again, maybe that was last night I heard the "noise". I cant remember, I need sleep.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Talked about on the Doc Thompson show today.

Other news report on WRVA indicated that the round was falling, didn't shatter the window, punched a hole and ended up on the inside sill w/o going through the blinds.

Sounds like a shot that had lost most of its velocity, not likely aimed at that window as a target. Vandalism is how it was described.

Yata hey

driveramsII

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Talked about on the Doc Thompson show today.

Other news report on WRVA indicated that the round was falling, didn't shatter the window, punched a hole and ended up on the inside sill w/o going through the blinds.

Sounds like a shot that had lost most of its velocity, not likely aimed at that window as a target. Vandalism is how it was described.

Yata hey
Thats what I just heard as well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
It doesn't surprise me. Night time in some parts of Richmond sounds like the opening day of Dove season:lol:
Oh,oh. Now you've earned the wrath of kenny :uhoh:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have made enough inappropriate jokes today....I'll just leave that one alone:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
I have made enough inappropriate jokes today....I'll just leave that one alone:banghead:
Then its safe to come back out?

And OC to the breakfast?

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

Has anyone seen a photo of the bullet hole? The only one I've seen is not from a bullet falling from a high angle but a straight on shot. It also appears to be of a hole in laminated safety glass, not the type of glass you would find in a large window. So I don't think that photo was authentic.

Here's the link to the story with a photo of the supposed hole.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/26/eric-cantor-bullet-shot-a_n_514651.html

Here's my synopsis of the hole:

That's BS. If that's a photo of the actual bullet hole then it was fired level to the ground. You can tell by the shape of of the hole and the symetry of the fracturing. In fact I'd say the bullet might have been fired pointed slightly to the right of straight in.

Here's a photo of a bullet hole through a windshield. The angle of the windshield simulates a bullet falling from above as if from a shot into the air coming back down. The photo is at the very bottom of the page of the "Buick of Truth!"...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot1.htm

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Has anyone seen a photo of the bullet hole? The only one I've seen is not from a bullet falling from a high angle but a straight on shot. It also appears to be of a hole in laminated safety glass, not the type of glass you would find in a large window. So I don't think that photo was authentic.

Here's the link to the story with a photo of the supposed hole.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/26/eric-cantor-bullet-shot-a_n_514651.html

Here's my synopsis of the hole:

That's BS. If that's a photo of the actual bullet hole then it was fired level to the ground. You can tell by the shape of of the hole and the symetry of the fracturing. In fact I'd say the bullet might have been fired pointed slightly to the right of straight in.

Here's a photo of a bullet hole through a windshield. The angle of the windshield simulates a bullet falling from above as if from a shot into the air coming back down. The photo is at the very bottom of the page of the "Buick of Truth!"...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot1.htm
That is definitely NOT a hole from a spent dropping round!

Huffington Post is not particularly know for truth and accuracy.
They likely substituted an archived photo for the story.

Actually, the bottom photo is typical of shooting through a laminated windshield at close range and doesn't really look a hole made by a spent round falling and going through plate glass at all.

Below is a typical bullet hole in plate glass - note the conical shape to the hole. This glass was impacted from a fairly straight on shot though.

Heavy enough plate glass and/or slow spent round will not likely produce much spider webbing at all.

Yata hey