• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm surprised I've not heard of this organization before, particularly given the fact that I'm a Virginia Tech alumni:
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is a national, non-partisan, grassroots organization comprising over 42,000 college students, professors, college employees, parents of college students, and concerned citizens who believe that holders of state-issued concealed handgun licenses should be allowed the same measure of personal protection on college campuses that they enjoy virtually everywhere else.

I placed this here in this thread for two reasons:

1. SCCC is a national organization.

2. Although the current example below involved Colorado, this has major issues for all young Americans attending college, throughout our entire nation. As such, it's definately an "issue regarding the ongoing fight to preserve the right to keep and bear arms."

As some of you may know, There's a case before the Colorado Court of Appeals to hear a lawsuit dismissed by 4th District Judge David Miller. The lawsuit intended to overturn the rule recently created by University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS) officials banning students from carrying.

More: http://www.gazette.com/news/uccs-96088-classroom-colorado.html

The appeals court decision would also either overturn or substantiate the recent decision by Colorado State University to ends its policy of allowing concealed carry permits for students. Naturally, CSU has no authority whatsoever to either allow or deny an adult citizen of Colorado to have a CCP, as Colorado is a "shall issue" state - only a county sheriff can deny a CCP, and then, only if specific criteria have been met.

Both CSU's andUCCS' rules appear to violate certain language in the Colorado Revised Statutes which discuss the different rules for state schools vs those with a board of regents.