• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have a few questions before I try open carry.

RockStrongo

imported post

I have just found out about open carry and think its great, but I have a few questions before I do it. I've looked over the site and believe I have a good understanding of Michigan OC.

-First, I know that thefirearm you carry has to be legal and registered.I am 19, and law says that you can possess a pistol at 18 (but cant buy one until 21 for some reason..) I got the gun I ownas a gift from my former step father when I was living in South Carolina. The gun is in his name and is registered is SC. What do I have to do to register the gun in my name now that I am in MI?

- I work for a security company that guards a lot of the places that carry isnot allowed, and I am currently ata hospital.I have a question about what the law says about OC

"2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity. "

Does this mean I am allowed to OC at the hospital the security company currently has me at?

-Because I am 19, does anyone think that I will have any more problems arise because I look younger than some of the older guys that OC here?

-Last, I live in Linden. Has anyone OC in Linden/Fenton area?

I know its a lot but I want to make sure I know what is allowed before I decide to start exercising my right of self defense. Thanks to you all in advance.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Welcome to the site where all your questions about your God Given rights will be answered shortly! Enjoy the education you will be recieving! Jeff.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

You can purchase a firearm privately at 18. You can not purchase from a FFL Dealer until 21. You need to obtain a purchase permit from your local PD and get the firearm transferred into your name. With permission of your employer and the hospital yes you would be allowed to carry at the hospital. Remember in Michigan you can not carry your firearm in a vehicle without a CPl. So you will need to transport it seperated from the ammo. Many have OCed in the Fenton area.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
You can purchase a firearm privately at 18. You can not purchase from a FFL Dealer until 21. You need to obtain a purchase permit from your local PD and get the firearm transferred into your name. With permission of your employer and the hospital yes you would be allowed to carry at the hospital. Remember in Michigan you can not carry your firearm in a vehicle without a CPl. So you will need to transport it seperated from the ammo. Many have OCed in the Fenton area.
Does not have to be seperated from gun, just not in the gun.

RockStrongo

imported post

So how do you without CPLs OC? Do you have to drive to where you want to OC with the gun in the trunk, then holster it once your out, and repeat once you leave?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

RockStrongo wrote:
I have just found out about open carry and think its great, but I have a few questions before I do it. I've looked over the site and believe I have a good understanding of Michigan OC.

-First, I know that thefirearm you carry has to be legal and registered.I am 19, and law says that you can possess a pistol at 18 (but cant buy one until 21 for some reason..) I got the gun I ownas a gift from my former step father when I was living in South Carolina. The gun is in his name and is registered is SC. What do I have to do to register the gun in my name now that I am in MI? As stated you need to get a purchase permit, fill it out and return copies as instructed. You can not posses the handgun until you have it registered.
- I work for a security company that guards a lot of the places that carry isnot allowed, and I am currently ata hospital.I have a question about what the law says about OC

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity. "

Does this mean I am allowed to OC at the hospital the security company currently has me at? You can only posses a firearm if the company you work for allows you to carry it in the performance of your duties. Since your employer doesn't allow you to have a firearm while on duty you can not carry it in a hospital. With permission from the owner/agent of the hospital you could OC your handgun outside (Off-duty)of your employment in the hospital.

-Because I am 19, does anyone think that I will have any more problems arise because I look younger than some of the older guys that OC here? Yes I do. Before you OC MAKE SURE you understand EVERY aspect of the firearm laws in regards to possession, transportation and open carry. Do not OC until then.

-Last, I live in Linden. Has anyone OC in Linden/Fenton area? Yes.

I know its a lot but I want to make sure I know what is allowed before I decide to start exercising my right of self defense. Thanks to you all in advance.
My comments in red.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Venator wrote:
sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Does not have to be seperated from gun, just not in the gun.

Yes thats what I meant did not say it in the right wording.

Haman J.T.

imported post

RockStrongo wrote:
So how do you without CPLs OC? Do you have to drive to where you want to OC with the gun in the trunk, then holster it once your out, and repeat once you leave?
Yes!Due to the insanity of the laws you will have to put up withthepain in the butt.But we are working on that to be sure!

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

RockStrongo welcome to OC, and M.O.C.

I lived in Linden/Fenton all most my whole life. I currently live on linden near Grand Blanc rd. I OC everyday, Every where. Pm me for more info.

sasha601

imported post

As far as registering your pistol, go and get a purchase permit from your local police department or from your Sheriff if your locality does not have a police department. You would have to fill in buyer and seller information. In your case, your both, buyer and seller, so your name, etc. will go into both sections. Once done, mail two copies back to PD (or Sheriff department). I suggest to use registered mail with proof of delivery. At this point you firearm is legally registered in your name. For about a month make sure you carry remaining copies of registration with you. In about a month I suggest that you go to your local PD and request a copy of registration. This will close the loop and you will be assured that your gone was properly registered. Remember that your local PD is obligated by Law to provide you a copy of your pistol registration. They can charge $1 for it by Law. Good Luck!

CrimDoc

imported post

Does the hospital in question agree to have armed security guards (or in fact, armed ANYBODY) on its premises? Does the company you're working for have a contract to provide armed security to the hospital?

If not, I certainly wouldn't OC on duty ... even if it's technically legal under the statute you cited.

You could find yourself charged and/or fired.

RockStrongo wrote:

Does this mean I am allowed to OC at the hospital the security company currently has me at?

-Because I am 19, does anyone think that I will have any more problems arise because I look younger than some of the older guys that OC here?

CrimDoc

imported post

As I understand the law (I'm certainly no expert on this), since he's a security guard, he could technically OC on hospital property (a PFZ) without a CPL (that's what the section of MCL he cited is about).

However, that's why I asked whether the hospital and his employer have specifically contracted for ARMED security.

If not ... if security guards at the hospital are "people dressed in polo shirts who don't even carry pepper spray" and he slaps on a pistol (under the assumption that he's now legal) he's going to get himself in trouble.

1245A Defender wrote:
dont forget, as has been discussed in another thread,,
you cannot OC in a GFZ (hospital) without a CPL!!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CrimDoc wrote:
As I understand the law (I'm certainly no expert on this), since he's a security guard, he could technically OC on hospital property (a PFZ) without a CPL (that's what the section of MCL he cited is about).

However, that's why I asked whether the hospital and his employer have specifically contracted for ARMED security.

If not ... if security guards at the hospital are "people dressed in polo shirts who don't even carry pepper spray" and he slaps on a pistol (under the assumption that he's now legal) he's going to get himself in trouble.

1245A Defender wrote:
dont forget, as has been discussed in another thread,,
you cannot OC in a GFZ (hospital) without a CPL!!

750.234d:

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

In my opinion, the security guard would not be in violation of any firearm laws but may be in violation of his or her company policy that may lead to suspension or termination.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
If the security company says yes, get it from the highest possible authority, in writing, signed, and dated.
It's much more than Section 234d, you need to review Act 330 of 1968 for security guards (unarmed or armed) by security companies.