• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Racism test"

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I didn't notice the race of most of them. I knew it was a shooter test, so was watching for firearms.

I didn't shoot unless the person had his handgun pointed at me -- and the test said I got shot a lot.

I get this result on a lot of these tests. I fail to notice obvious things, like skin color.

agent543

imported post

Tess wrote:
Well, I didn't notice the race of most of them. I knew it was a shooter test, so was watching for firearms.

I didn't shoot unless the person had his handgun pointed at me -- and the test said I got shot a lot.

I get this result on a lot of these tests. I fail to notice obvious things, like skin color.

1st guy got it.

I read the directions and was like wtf?

Press / to shoot folks with guns?

This didn't seem to be so much a racism test, as it was a clever way to create a negative association with guns

mrsemman

imported post

Game Over
Your Score: 625
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:742.64ms
Black Unarmed:850.88ms
White Armed:803.08ms
White Unarmed:785.04ms

Reminds me of the Shoot. Don't Shoot training films.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Wow whoever made this thing needs to understand when it is OK to shoot someone. Nobody holding a gun seemed to be threatening or aiming at me or anyone else. So I got shot every time. I didn't shoot a single person.

STUPIDITY

But surprise surprise it's from Chi-town.

Game Over
Your Score: -1750
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:557ms
Black Unarmed:587.4ms
White Armed:571.24ms
White Unarmed:577.56ms

I guess they tried to make more clinically accurate by making everyone emotionless as a control factor. The result is a bunch of people who are just posing for photos. I don't see firearm possession, even in your hand, as a threat in itself.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That's kind of clever and funny.... however it's hardly scientific for a "racism test", as a photographer, I can tell you that darker skin tone hands can potentially blend through lack of contrast with objects in the hand. So it often took me longer to recognize a cell phone versus a gun, especially for the dark cellphones, dark wallets, and dark guns.

Game Over
Your Score: 710
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:678.48ms
Black Unarmed:706.6ms
White Armed:692.52ms
White Unarmed:679.88ms

Bottom line, I don't care what you look like, I'll treat you the same especially if you're a threat.

EDIT: simmonsjoe, I noticed that too and at first thought this was a trick but it is just a quick and dirty stats builder, although, that would have made an interesting twist in the game. It should be added like that for effect.

Also, I think the trends will probably show that "blacks unarmed" will typically be the higher time across the board.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pace wrote:
I shoot the kids.

think_of_the_children.jpg

FightingGlock19

imported post

Game Over
Your Score: 475
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:622.4ms
Black Unarmed:726.4ms
White Armed:611.4ms
White Unarmed:671.4ms

I just looked at the hands. Hands kill, y'all

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I only went about half way through it. I realized that the directions for which key to use to shoot or holster were backwards. I was shooting all the umarmed people and getting shot by all the armed ones.

Since it came from the University of Chicago, you know it had to be rigged.

1245A Defender

imported post

Game Over
Your Score: 345
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:736.64ms
Black Unarmed:974.92ms
White Armed:950.12ms
White Unarmed:997.8ms

stupid that you loose points for slow holstering, for the good guys

im not sure if the best score should be high or low?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Game Over
Your Score: -1765
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:505.44ms
Black Unarmed:636.72ms
White Armed:531.08ms
White Unarmed:541.8ms

Lots of guns, but no threats. No shots fired.

Look at the hands, not the eyes. They say that its the looks that kill. They dont, hands do. Watch the hands.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Game Over
Your Score: 595
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:692.16ms
Black Unarmed:802.52ms
White Armed:682.24ms
White Unarmed:763.44ms

okboomer

imported post

Another pre-determined rigged "proof" for the anti's

I also agree, the darker skin tone made for a longer pause to identify the object ... it wasn't skin color that I was reacting to ... it was the presence of the gun and since it was in a non-threatening position, I didn't get the first ones, and took too long to holster and ... well, it is definitely slanted so that if you do well, you can be called trigger-happy, and if you don't do well, you are not qualified to be carrying a gun ...

Game Over
Your Score: 245
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:737.8ms
Black Unarmed:868.36ms
White Armed:685.88ms
White Unarmed:755.12ms

According to this, I am more likely to shoot at an armed white guy, and it takes me longer to identify whether a black guy is armed or not. And this is measuring in micro-seconds?

1245A Defender

imported post

Game Over
Your Score: 205
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:761.64ms
Black Unarmed:884.12ms
White Armed:810.72ms
White Unarmed:745.72ms

second try for me
i took more time, but thought i was more accurite
got a lower score