• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Racism test"

1245A Defender

imported post

ran the test again slow and carefull, this time i took some notes

shoot the bad guy fast =+10
shoot the bad guy slow =-10
holster the good guy fast =+5
holster the good guy slow =-10
shoot the good guy =-20
dont shoot the bad guy =-40

there is 120 pics to act on, im figuring 1/2 are good and 1/2 are bad
so best score would be 60 times 10 for shooting the bad guy fast, plus 60 times 5 for holstering for the good guy fast
600 best score

there is no way to run this test with any reguard of race, it is just bogus, you loose points twice as fast for being slow and carefull, you can only gain points by looking only at the hand!

1245A Defender

imported post

Game Over
Your Score: 700
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:614.44ms
Black Unarmed:777ms
White Armed:642.04ms
White Unarmed:700.48ms

so maybe my calculations werent quite right
this time i only got a few, too slows.
and i dont think i made any wrong choices

i tell you what thou,,
ill bet BIGDAVE would be real proud about all the training i got tonight

simmonsjoe

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
For you guys scoring low on purpose, you're not really making a point. You know the rules of the "game"
It isn't a ******* game. Your deciding whether or not to shoot people, and the tests statistics are supposed to determine IF YOUR RACIST.

Anytime someone creates a false situation in order to get bad data so they can support their stupid claims, I will not be collusive by upholding those intentional falsities. If that means I get -1765 points so be it. I win at life.

1245A Defender

imported post

if you are slow but careful
you could be slow to holster for the good guys and loose 600 points,
you could be slow and careful to shoot the bad guys and loose another 600 points,
thats a minus 1200 point score for zero errors,
after all even all the bad guys in the pics are not mennessing, the gun arent pointed at you.

this test FAILS!!!

Marco

imported post

Nobody holding a gun seemed to be threatening or aiming at me or anyone else.

Game Over
Your Score: -1750
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:373.92ms
Black Unarmed:337.56ms
White Armed:341.92ms
White Unarmed:352.04ms

IMHO, those that pulled the trigger need more training.

It took me longer with the armed BMA's because I wanted to ensure there weren't any pics of anyone I know.

Old Grump

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
For you guys scoring low on purpose, you're not really making a point. You know the rules of the "game"
Working a key board while looking at pictures is related to a real life everybody is there in the flesh how? I don't get no feed back from the screen, I get no body language, there is no prior history compared to the situation on the screen. Score on the screen is irrelevant, like most others I never once noticed the skin color till after if I even noticed it then.

Are you walking alone, with a group of male friends, caring for a child or elderly relative. Where is this game anything but a reaction time gimmick with no connection to the real world as we live in it every day. There is no incentive to defend or protect, only to scan and react. Young eyes and fast twitch muscles should do good and I will bet racism isn't any factor at all in the scoring.

Walking the streets in uniform looking for trouble is one thing and will color your reactions. Walking the streets or participating at a public event is quite another and will color your reactions in a totally different way. Walking in a bad or unfamilar territory when you are on edge to begin with will color your reaction in another way. None of this can be reflected by this test.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi

bomber

imported post

i got bored and shot everyone. final score was -420, but my reaction time was outstanding.

there is a bunch of pictures of my hometown in there. denver FTW!

Superlite27

imported post

This "test" is so old.

The last time I took it was about three years ago. Hasn't anyone figuresd out its purpose yet?

Hint #1) It's from the University of Chicago.

Hint#2) It's testing "reaction time" based on race.

Therefore, who wants to guess that this is a test built to predetermine that folks are faster to shoot black people than they are to shoot white people? Ya' think?

It is taking two different measurements. Shoot/no shoot and time....based on RACE.

My guess is they are averaging the reaction times and decision to shoot.

Therefore, in order to throw a monkey wrench into their "scientific" test:

1) Take A FULL TWO MINUTES to decide NOT to shoot any black people WHETHER THEY HAVE A GUN OR NOT.

2) SHOOT ALL WHITE PEOPLE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE REGARDLESS WHETHER THEY ARE ARMED OR NOT.

I wonder how this will affect their averages?

AbNo

imported post

Speaking of RACISM.... (why can't we have this emote?)

Did anyone happen to notice a general theme in the dress of blacks versus whites in this test?

Notice the clothing styles....

Guy #1: Well-fitting clothes, and clean hair cut.

Guy #2: Lil' Rascal stance, sleeves, and pant legs. Child-like hair and innocent baby face.

Guy #3: Oversize clothing, complete with urban-style shirt sticking out the bottom.

Guy #4: Worn, oversized sport (football?) jersey.

Guy #5: Ill-fitting shirt. Pants on the ground, akin to sagging.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagging_%28fashion%29

Guy #6: Sagging pants. Tongue of shoe pulled out of pants (it's a "gangsta" thing, don't ask). Ecko shirt. For those of you not familiar with the brand....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eck%C5%8D
The company partnered with the G-Unit Clothing Company from 2003 to 2008...
Which leads us to....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Unit_Clothing_Company
The G-Unit Clothing Company was established in 2003 when 50 Cent teamed up with Marc Ecko,
As for 50-Cent, well.... Here's a publicity photo of him...
http://cndls.georgetown.edu/applications/posterTool/data/users/50%20cent.jpeg

Keep in mind, "Fitty" is also someone who is marketed as having been shot nine times, and that he was a crack dealer at age twelve.

Good to know whoever created this test is good at perpetuating stereotypes.

What I have learned from this test: White people are either clean-cut, geeky, or doe-eyed innocents, and, based on the presentations given by the test author, black people are are all thugs and wannabes.

Doesn't seem to me that it is scientifically sound to use an experiment to attempt to confirm a theory or held belief. It would be much more accurate (as in less biased) to use a series of experiments to CREATE a conclusion.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just some guy on the internet. :D

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

How long did it take you to decide not to shoot the gang banger with a cellphone?

AbNo wrote:
Doesn't seem to me that it is scientifically sound to use an experiment to attempt to confirm a theory or held belief. It would be much more accurate (as in less biased) to use a series of experiments to CREATE a conclusion.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just some guy on the internet. :D
Did you read any article on Implicit Attitude Testing, the one that I provided above or on the evaluation of IAT or any other? Have you ever seen the conclusions from the testing, not your personal averages and score?

The test makes you think through your personal prejudices about skin color and clothing while you make your decision on a relatively unrelated issue. How long that takes and the error rate across the tested population and not just your datum is the valuation of the test.

I've taken many, perhaps a hundred, IATs at the Harvard.edu site as introspection. Your mileage may vary.
The smilie was already filter blocked out.

simmonsjoe wrote:
It just proves the test is racist.
So are IQ tests thought racist except by those that write them and those that get exceptional scores.

M

McX

imported post

i elected the; take off, nuke the whole site from orbit option................it's the only way to be sure (horrible ripoff of aliens).:p

AbNo

imported post

Actually, Doug, I stopped playing along with the test as I noticed the patterns in the way the people in the pictures were portrayed, and I started studying the use of people.

Defend the test all you want. I know what I've seen. :D