• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McDougle on the death committee

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thank you for taking the time to contact me and express your concern about gun-related legislation, which was heard in a special subcommittee formed by the Senate Courts of Justice Chairman Henry Marsh. I am very concerned about the precedent of forming a subcommittee with the sole purpose of killing legislation without the chance for it to be considered by the full committee.
At the last Senate Courts of Justice Committee meeting of the session, Sen. Mark Obenshain and I led an effort to have the bills which were killed by the special subcommittee placed on the full committee docket. Chairman Henry Marsh and Senate Majority Leader Dick Saslaw refused to consider our motions on technical grounds. Since then, Lt. Governor Bill Bolling, as presiding officer of the Senate, has ruled that the Rules of the Senate do not allow subcommittees to kill bills nor do they allow Chairmen to avoid placing bills on the docket. This ruling was issued at our request after the actions of the Democratic Majority at the final Courts Committee meeting and hence, could not help us this year. I am hopeful this ruling will prevent similar actions to stifle votes on important legislation in future years.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, I got the same email from him today.

Seems a shame that the President of the Senatedid not initiated a censure action or simply "order" that the bills be brought to the floor.

But just wait till next year! Boy, will we do something then! (Probably right after Marsh proposes a rule change to all subcommittees to kill bills.)

Who can we get to run against him? I'm in his district & willing to sacrifice myself but have zip in the way of "connections" or money. Anybody willing to take the risk of me becoming a state senator? (The thought scares me. I have no idea how the rsst of you will deal with the nightmares it might generate.)

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Yeah, I got the same email from him today.

Seems a shame that the President of the Senatedid not initiated a censure action or simply "order" that the bills be brought to the floor.

But just wait till next year! Boy, will we do something then! (Probably right after Marsh proposes a rule change to all subcommittees to kill bills.)

Who can we get to run against him? I'm in his district & willing to sacrifice myself but have zip in the way of "connections" or money. Anybody willing to take the risk of me becoming a state senator? (The thought scares me. I have no idea how the rsst of you will deal with the nightmares it might generate.)

stay safe.

skidmark
I thought I'd give Ann a call in a week or so. I have some things to send McDougle but wanted to wait until he caught his breath.

There has been considerable discussion about this and a considerable number of constituent complaints to some of the Senators....So good job everyone!

I think you know why there wasn't any action from the President.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
Would it really do any good for me to write my Democratic Senator about this? He was not involved beyond the fact that his existence helped put Saslaw in power.

TFred
It couldn't hurt. Just because Saslaw is a Dem doesn't mean all of them like him. Those dirty tricks can get out of hand and no business gets done at all. The Republicans are already plotting their counter moves even though some are extremely relieved they didn't have to vote on some of the bills.