• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Question about Blumenthal in Des Moines

Aaron1124

imported post

Do they only sell their products to Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections and Security? I went to purchase some more O.C. Sprays there, and they asked "What Department do you work for?" I said, "Oh, I'm not in Law Enforcement." Then they asked if I work security. I told them I do, because, well, I do (on call), but that's not really the reason I was purchasing products.

I noticed some of their O.C. Sprays, such as Sabre, says "Meant for Law Enforcement, Military officials, Corrections, or trained Security Professionals". Does Sabre or Blumenthal not sell their products to Regular Joes who are not in any of those fields?

Lemmiwinks

imported post

If it's the same Blumenthal's that has a location in Seattle, they primarily cater to law enforcement. They special ordered a galco holster belt for me and were really nice about it, but they won't sell body armor to civilians (just company policy) even though it's not restricted to LE.

Metalhead47

imported post

Up until this year I got my company uniforms thru the Seattle location. Bought plenty of other stuff there out of pocket, nice selection of 5.11 gear. Never any issues.

DEROS72

imported post

I live right down the street from them and shop there all the time.Last July they donated a pair of 5.11's to give away as a prize at our Willow lake Open Carry rally here.They are good folk.Oc in there all the time. M!Gunr won the pants.They also said when I get this years rally here going they will donate again.The only thing I believe they won[t sell you is stuff with police on it or dept logos ect.

rysa

imported post

I've been in there a number of times for jumpsuits, uniform stuff, boots etc...

I know they track certain purchases for tax reasons (though i've never asked them for a copy of it) since certain professional expenses are write-offs.

They can also charge it to a dept account instead of you (if you have prior authorization).

They are picky about selling you anything with a logo or lettering if you don't have the right credentials, but all my stuff has been plain, so its never been an issue.

Don't let the question startle you, just answer that your purchasing for personal use, i doubt they'll make an issue of anything in there.

DEROS72

imported post

I stopped in there today actually first time after my surgery and the first reaction I got was 2 gals said hey we saw you on TV on the Starbucks thing.They are good folk.Again the only thing they won't sell you is anything marked police or with dept logos obviously.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

You are able to buy clothes and maybe certain other items, but there are items they won't sell to the general public. I went in there last Friday to get a SECURITY emblem for a vest I have but they wouldn't sell it to me without a current WA State Security officer license. It was a "sew-on" patch that said "security"...

Aaron1124

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
You are able to buy clothes and maybe certain other items, but there are items they won't sell to the general public. I went in there last Friday to get a SECURITY emblem for a vest I have but they wouldn't sell it to me without a current WA State Security officer license. It was a "sew-on" patch that said "security"...
That's interesting, considering you don't need a security officer's license unless you work for a sub contracting security agency.

Many retail stores and other businesses have their own private security. They don't need to be licensed.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
That's interesting, considering you don't need a security officer's license unless you work for a sub contracting security agency.

Many retail stores and other businesses have their own private security. They don't need to be licensed.

That's why I thought it was so strange. When I asked to buy a big patch, they asked me for my Wa State security license. When I said that I work for the WAC security team and I don't have said license, they told me they couldn't sell me one.

So I said to them, "So I can go online and buy what I want anyway without the license, but you won't take my money?" And they said that is correct. :banghead: