• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Way Discount Guns VS Bear Arms Inc

Aaron1124

imported post

I've frequented both shops, and I must say, I really prefer the professionalism of Bear Arms Inc in Kent. Bob is a great guy with a lot of knowledge, and supports open carry. His entire crew is excellent. I've OCed in there numerous times, and they're a really great group of people always willing to help out.

Federal Way Discount Guns, on the other hand, does not allow "Loaded Carry" in their store. Seems kind of weird. You can OC in there, but your firearm has to be unloaded. Seems awkward, considering all of them are OCing their loaded firearm. I don't know why, but the folks at FWDC seem more like Used Car Salesman than firearm advocates. Two of the employees seem to be a bit rude to their employees. Their names are Moe and Jay. One is a latino looking man, and the other is an older white guy with gray hair. Both seemed a bit arrogant, but again, that was just my personal experiences with them. They may be great people, but just didn't come across that way to me.

That is just my personal opinion. I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of others comparing these two stores in particular.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

You're not the only one with that opinion. I've been in there too, years ago and it was like that then. I bought a Colt AR15 from them with cash and they still acted like I was wasting their time. I won't go back there.

44Brent

imported post

I've used their services in Federal Way and they seemed fine to me. I wasn't OCing so I didn't encounter any problems in them asking me to disarm. If something like that happened, I would probably not go back.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was in FWDG earlier this week. I OC when I am there (loaded), and have never had a problem. If I was ever bringing a firearm in for service, trade, test out with a holster, etc. I would bring it in unloaded. They have been pleasant to me, always friendly, even when they are super crowded.

deanf

imported post

Moe is the owner of FW Discount Guns. Locally, we call it "Moe's". I bought my last gun from him. He was great. More than willing to spend time with me when the store was busy, and I wasn't buying a high dollar gun.

Those guys are good multi-taskers. They always seem to have several balls in the air.

Go in there knowing what you want and you will be fine. The gun counter is not the place to do research.

Aaron1124

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
I was in FWDG earlier this week. I OC when I am there (loaded), and have never had a problem. If I was ever bringing a firearm in for service, trade, test out with a holster, etc. I would bring it in unloaded. They have been pleasant to me, always friendly, even when they are super crowded.
Interesting. Maybe the two guys in discussion were just having a rough day. Like I said, they may be decent people, but from what I saw, they were a bit arrogant and pushy, sort of like car salesmen.

Aaron1124

imported post

deanf wrote:
Moe is the owner of FW Discount Guns. Locally, we call it "Moe's". I bought my last gun from him. He was great. More than willing to spend time with me when the store was busy, and I wasn't buying a high dollar gun.

Those guys are good multi-taskers. They always seem to have several balls in the air.

Go in there knowing what you want and you will be fine. The gun counter is not the place to do research.
Is Moe the latino man?

deanf

imported post

Actually I think he is middle eastern. Speaks with a bit of an accent. There is also a Hispanic looking cat in there, tall and thin. Been there a long time. Don't know his name.

ElJefe1911

imported post

deanf wrote:

I don't see any problem with people doing their research at the gun counter. There seems to be an attitude that runs through the industry that unless you are here to spend money I don't have the time to help you out. That is a huge disservice to the consumer. I have spent many hours helping customers because it is my job. If you don't get the help you need from a shop then go somewhere where you do.

Machoduck

imported post

I've never had any unpleasantness at FWDG that wasn't caused by a jam-packed store. Moe is pretty opinionated but that doesn't bother me. What happened at Bear Arms did. I had had a desire for a Desert Eagle on 50AE and stopped in to see how it felt in my smallish hand. When I told the clerk what I was there for he told me that the only way he would hand me the pistol was if I first put a thousand dollars cash down on the counter. I said "ummm," and left, never to return. Just to make sure that this was not some new dippy thing that all the gun stores were doing, I asked other places I could see a Desert Eagle and was given complete cooperation. Since the Bear Arms event I've bought at least 9 pieces elsewhere.

I was in Ben's Loans several years ago, just browsing, when a man took delivery of a Winchester lever action in .25-35. He said matter-of-factly "I'll take two boxes of ammo, too." I thought "sure you will; good luck with that one!" The salesman returned with the two boxes and I realized that that was my kinda place.

MD

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Blah blah rude, impatient, whatever.

They price match and that's what makes me like them.

I don't need to ask their salesguys questions, google is my friend.

Research, try out somewhere else, go in there, price match, save money, go enjoy your purchase.

(Talking about federal way discount guns)

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
SNIP...I realized that that was my kinda place.

MD
BIG +1 for Ben's Loans in Renton. Having been in customer service half my life, including a 4-year stint in firearms retail, I can whole-heartedly appreciate what the guys over there at Ben's do. And they do it well. Great selection, great prices, great service. What else do you need?

-G20

hrlysef

Banned
imported post

I've been in Bear Arms 2-3 times, never got a good vibe from them, too bad, they're the closest gun store in my neck of the woods.

Haven't tried Fed Way yet, maybe some day soon.

Aaron1124

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
What happened at Bear Arms did. I had had a desire for a Desert Eagle on 50AE and stopped in to see how it felt in my smallish hand. When I told the clerk what I was there for he told me that the only way he would hand me the pistol was if I first put a thousand dollars cash down on the counter. I said "ummm," and left, never to return. Just to make sure that this was not some new dippy thing that all the gun stores were doing, I asked other places I could see a Desert Eagle and was given complete cooperation. Since the Bear Arms event I've bought at least 9 pieces elsewhere.
People have stolen from Bear Arms by asking to "Hold and test grip" their firearms. I don't blame them for not letting someone hold a $1,000 weapon. Especially if they're capable of simply running out of the place with it. It's not like they're going to jump the counter and catch you.

amzbrady

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Machoduck wrote:
What happened at Bear Arms did. I had had a desire for a Desert Eagle on 50AE and stopped in to see how it felt in my smallish hand. When I told the clerk what I was there for he told me that the only way he would hand me the pistol was if I first put a thousand dollars cash down on the counter. I said "ummm," and left, never to return. Just to make sure that this was not some new dippy thing that all the gun stores were doing, I asked other places I could see a Desert Eagle and was given complete cooperation. Since the Bear Arms event I've bought at least 9 pieces elsewhere.
People have stolen from Bear Arms by asking to "Hold and test grip" their firearms. I don't blame them for not letting someone hold a $1,000 weapon. Especially if they're capable of simply running out of the place with it. It's not like they're going to jump the counter and catch you.
If it has happened more than once, Then I would say they arent that smart. I think I would have an area that is cornered off just to show guns so that they would have obsticles to get through before getting to the door, maybe ask for a cpl card before taking the gun out of the case and give it back when you get the gun back.

amzbrady

imported post

hrlysef wrote:
I've been in Bear Arms 2-3 times, never got a good vibe from them, too bad, they're the closest gun store in my neck of the woods.

Haven't tried Fed Way yet, maybe some day soon.
Same kinda feeling I get at Marksman.

Machoduck

imported post

I don't care what their problem is. I'm not a thief and won't be treated as such. I was not told about any problem that they were having. It was just an attempt to disrespect me and I never stand still for that. I don't treat others disrespectfully and won't allow it to continue toward me.

MD

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Whenever I get disrespected by a stranger, I usually ignore it. Not worth getting worked up about, imo.
Agreed. UNLESS I'm ready to hand that "stranger"a buttload of my hard-earned money, then respect is imperative.