• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

delayed on handgun purchase

PAPACHUCK

imported post

tntorqu wrote:
this is the third time i gotten delayed on a handgun purchase. Does anyone else have this same problem?!?!?:banghead:

tntorqu, there is a difference between a delay that comes back "proceed" and one that never comes back. Only you can find out what is delaying you, and it must be done by written request. Have the FFL give you the NTN# from the last delay, and refer to it when you inquire to the ATF.

When a NCIC check is initiated, an analyst looks at a computer screen and makes a determination by whathe/she sees. The computer has "flags" to warn analysts of potential problems with a buyer's record. When it is "flagged", or a record comes up, they must "delay" the buyer untill they can ascertain whether the person is prohibited or not. That can take time.

Another fact to remember isbefore startof each business day, the system must "dump" all the data from the previous day. How that affects you is that each time you go to buy a gun, they have to start over making sure you are OK.

There is a fix for this. It's called the VAF, or Voluntary Appeal File. The purpose of this is to have you allow them to keep your data at hand. They will issue you a UPIN, a Unique Personal Id Number. That UPIN will be listed on the 4473 next to your SSN, for the clerk to give to NCIC. A proceed can come back immediately when everything is done right.

Ask your dealer for the VAF packet, he can get one for you.

Good luck.

gentlemanjack10mm

imported post

tntorqu wrote:
Slidell jim. I went to academy today to get a blackhawk holster for my glock 17. I asked them about that. They dont release the gun until the ATF/FBI calls them back if it takes up to thirty days they still have to hold their gun. COMPANY POLICY!!!!!!

the law says if NICS does NOT call back within (3) days , not counting weekends and holidays,then the gun can be tranfered and the seller marks the 4473 "resolution given" NICS does not have to call but they usually do, sometimes even befor the buyer leaves the store

however some stores will call NICS to checkeven though they are not required to do so

the store can set their own rules and this is to cover their a$$

hope this helps

a holder of FFL for over 30 yrs

gentlemanjack10mm

imported post

Another fact to remember isbefore startof each business day, the system must "dump" all the data from the previous day. How that affects you is that each time you go to buy a gun, they have to start over making sure you are OK.

you areright in some part the info is dumped

once the 4473is signed and dated by the seller it is done nothing can be added to it

in order to buy another gun the next day or even the same day a new nics must be done

BTW the aproval is good for 30 days i do not know if the same number can be used the next day or not

tntorqu

imported post

okay guys thank you for all of the inputs that was here. I will definately turn in that paper with the fingerprints. I gotten my glock 17 and it was definately worth the wait. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate