• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wierd Question

Rune

imported post

I really don't think this is the case, but does law enforcement verify where you live after getting a carry permit? I ask because evidently a Kent beat cop and a rookie came by my apartment complex 2days ago asking my apartment manager (who is a friend)if I still lived there, If I still drove the same vehicle, and what time I got home usually. Thought this was highly unusual. Her husband is a LEO as well. She asked them what it was about and they wouldnt say, as well as not leaving any contact info. Needless to say I called Kent PD last night once I found out about this, and the lady looking through whatever records they have couldn't find any reference of the officers stopping there. She told me not to worry about, that if it wasnt in the records and there was no warrants showing for me then it must not be a big deal. It kinda has me nervous though. Never had any issues with law enforcement before and to have them coming by and "checking" up on me and there being no record of it has me concerned. Somebody obviously took the time to look me up, look up my vehicle description, and inquire as to what time I get home. What do you guys think? Should I be concerned and persue it or let it drop?

Weave

imported post

Are you a witness to a crime? Perhaps they have a subpoena for you.

Rune

imported post

Not to the best of my knowledge. I just got off the phone talking with them again, different lady, and she checked again, and both me and the truck come back clean. Something one of my LEO friends that I was just talking too mentioned is that given they were highly interested in my truck, is that its possible they had a hit & run , and only had a vehicle description, and therefore just pulled all like vehicles in the area and were just doing a vehicle inspection to see if any matched. It's a sad day when you have to worry about police showing an interest in you.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

I wouldn't worry about it. It's unusual, sounds fishy and probably shouldn't have been done, however til someone has a warrant to show you I'd just ignore them. Your building manger should have done them same.

Johnny Law

imported post

I can almost guarantee you it had nothing to do with a cpl. They likely want to at least talk to you about something though. This is not unusual, and people are contacted like this every day.

Aryk45XD

imported post

File a stalking report immediately!!!

Just kidding...but that is really weird. As for the lady telling you not to worry, as if someone checking up on you and wanting to know when you come home and what you drive is ok. I'd be more worried about them being a rouge officer and it not on file. What if it's not even a real LEO!? Find out who and why.

heresolong

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
I'd be more worried about them being a rouge officer
What exactly is a "rouge" officer? :)

Seriously, they may just be investigating a crime and you were reported as a possible witness. I saw that happen when I was getting my haircut and a detective came in asking about a customer of the shop who was reported as having maybe had knowledge about a homicide that had happened a few days earlier. It seemed pretty routine. They were just checking every possible lead. Don't know why they wouldn't leave a card if that were the case though.

killchain

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote:
I'd be more worried about them being a rouge officer
What exactly is a "rouge" officer? :)

Seriously, they may just be investigating a crime and you were reported as a possible witness. I saw that happen when I was getting my haircut and a detective came in asking about a customer of the shop who was reported as having maybe had knowledge about a homicide that had happened a few days earlier. It seemed pretty routine. They were just checking every possible lead. Don't know why they wouldn't leave a card if that were the case though.
Maybe they were out of cards?

My friend had a robbery happen at his place. He called the police, then me. I showed up first. At any rate, long story short, the police officer was actually out of cards and wrote all of the info down on a note pad page.

Hey, it worked just the same I guess. :)

29er

imported post

If I had a rouge officer after me, I'd be -really- worried. They're much scarier than rogue cops.