• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How active is the OC movement in Southern CA?

Ninja_Commando

imported post

Maybe I'm being impatient...

Then again,the more I search the threads on this forum I see there is not much mention of OCing in the SoCal area. Perhaps in Orange County.

Once I familiarize myself more with the laws on OCing and in general with firearms would anyone have any objection to starting meet ups in the area around South Bay area? If anyone is interested please PM me.

I would like to see this movement active in the LA area.

wewd

imported post

There are monthly meets in Socal as well as occasional non-scheduled meets. There was a meet in Pasadena last month. Most of Socal has been browbeaten by Calguns so there aren't as many OCers as there used to be, but we are still quite active, and have regular meets. Stick around and you'll run into one.

wewd

imported post

They have bullied the open carry community into ceasing their activities out of fear that the state could look unfavorably upon citizens exercising their rights and pass more anti-gun laws. They are more concerned about getting everyone concealed carry permits than furthering the cause of the open carry movement, and they fear that open carry could derail those plans. The fundamental misunderstanding on their part is that our government in this state will most assuredly remain anti-gun, and will continue to pass laws restricting the right to keep and bear arms, no matter what any of us does or does not do. Those laws will have to be challenged in court just as our existing laws will.

California politicians hate guns. You can't vote the anti-gunners out, because their opponents on the ballot are just as bad as they are. Anyone who expects the game to change in this state is delusional. Maybe post-McDonald some things will change, but not significantly. Best to exercise what few rights we have left than to hold out for privileges that we may never get.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

wewd wrote:
They have bullied the open carry community into ceasing their activities out of fear that the state could look unfavorably upon citizens exercising their rights and pass more anti-gun laws. They are more concerned about getting everyone concealed carry permits than furthering the cause of the open carry movement, and they fear that open carry could derail those plans. The fundamental misunderstanding on their part is that our government in this state will most assuredly remain anti-gun, and will continue to pass laws restricting the right to keep and bear arms, no matter what any of us does or does not do. Those laws will have to be challenged in court just as our existing laws will.

California politicians hate guns. You can't vote the anti-gunners out, because their opponents on the ballot are just as bad as they are. Anyone who expects the game to change in this state is delusional. Maybe post-McDonald some things will change, but not significantly. Best to exercise what few rights we have left than to hold out for privileges that we may never get.

I think a minor correction to the bolded statement is in order. Calguns leadership have asked those who open carry to stand down until the ruling on McDonald is passed down from SCOTUS. A number of very vocal Calguns members get quite pushy about the topic, but none of the leadership have 'bullied' anyone into anything.

The biggest concern is about timing- Many of the members here that have one foot in both organizations believe (as I do) that widespread/group OC in California is a little bit premature... This comes from someone who pioneered the movement by soloOCingin mid 2006 and the first California member of OCDOto post their police encounter as proofdebunking those who predicted dire consequences for the practice.

pullnshoot25

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
wewd wrote:

I think a minor correction to the bolded statement is in order. Calguns leadership have asked those who open carry to stand down until the ruling on McDonald is passed down from SCOTUS. A number of very vocal Calguns members get quite pushy about the topic, but none of the leadership have 'bullied' anyone into anything.

The biggest concern is about timing- Many of the members here that have one foot in both organizations believe (as I do) that widespread/group OC in California is a little bit premature... This comes from someone who pioneered the movement by solo OCing in mid 2006 and the first California member of OCDO to post their police encounter as proof debunking those who predicted dire consequences for the practice.

ConditionThree is 100% correct.

Decoligny

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
wewd wrote:

The biggest concern is about timing- Many of the members here that have one foot in both organizations believe (as I do) that widespread/group OC in California is a little bit premature... This comes from someone who pioneered the movement by soloOCingin mid 2006 and the first California member of OCDOto post their police encounter as proofdebunking those who predicted dire consequences for the practice.
And a fairly large and very vocal contingent of CalGuns members jump on any mention of Open Carry with derision,disdain, and demonization. I think this is what is probably being referred to when mentioning "bullied".

Ninja_Commando

imported post

I see. I'm a fairly new member to Calguns. I have to admit I have not heard much mention about OC. I think it's safe to say that much the like rest of country we( the gun community) are divided on a lot if issues. I try to see things from all perspectives possible,and I don't think that our gun rights should be black and white. It's either we have them or we don't! Of course I am fully aganst the latter and all the gray in between. There should be nonroom for compromise to what is not just our Constitutional right but also our unalienable right to bear arms and self-defense. I don't mean to preach or go off topic. I do understand that we need to take every measure of precaution in exercising our rights sonas not to fall into the traps set to strip us of our freedom(which is pretty obvious,that's exatcly what they want us to do).

coolusername2007

imported post

I'm sure there will be either a monthly meetup or other local meetups in April. Be patient, keep reading, study the PC and educational brochures, FAQs, etc. until you know them forwards and backwards. And if you don't have one yet, be sure to get your voice or video recorder.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
And a fairly large and very vocal contingent of CalGuns members jump on any mention of Open Carry with derision,disdain, and demonization. I think this is what is probably being referred to when mentioning "bullied".

Sounds like what happens here when anybody mentions "stand down"... a few very vocal members get uppity and say some wild things...

... I heard Oaklander's BBQ was really a ploy to kidnap and clone OCers and replace them with CGF anti-OC dopplegangers... they're getting aggressive with their stand-down "request"...:quirky