• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Question

ArcticF7SnoPro

imported post

Newbie to this site in search of a question I have about open carry. When open carrying my weapon in public locations and stores does it have to be unloaded and the magazine seperated from the gun or can it be loaded?

ArcticF7SnoPro

imported post

I personnlly feel the same way, but I have asked a few friends and they seem to think you can only carry with an empty gun. To me that is defeatingthe purpose. I have been trying to find a definition online to clarify my question, but there really hasen't been anything or I wasn't searching the right places.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

You were probably looking for the wrong thing by looking for the State (statutes) to tell you what you can do. Statutes only tell what is prohibited.

The Wisconsin Constitution, Article I Section 25 guarantees the right to be armed for all legal purposes. Statute 941.23 prohibits concealed carry and the DNR screws with guns in a car. The devil is in the details.

Best wishes. Be careful.

scorpio_vette

imported post

your friends are partially correct. they may have heard about the unloaded part, but don't remember "where". i don't know off top of my head, but i think there are 1 or 2 states that do not allow loaded carry.

AaronS

imported post

ArcticF7SnoPro wrote:
I personnlly feel the same way, but I have asked a few friends and they seem to think you can only carry with an empty gun. To me that is defeatingthe purpose. I have been trying to find a definition online to clarify my question, but there really hasen't been anything or I wasn't searching the right places.
Your friends are very wrong. As Doug said, Article I Section 25 Wisconsin Constitution gives us the right to carry a gun. State statute 66.0409 makes sure that this right is state wide. You can't have a loaded gun in your car, but you sure can carry a loaded gun (in a holster)on the street, or in stores. Got to also watch the 1000 foot school zones...

hardballer

imported post

This is probably repetitive but here goes.

Wisconsin Law does not prohibit Open carry. That means you may.

There are five places you may not. Search this very site for a list. This is as good a place to start as any:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

little more info:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=34913&forum_id=57&highlight="five+places"

I and many others on this board carry loaded guns. I personally carry a 1911, round chambered, cocked and locked.

there are various opinions as to how to carry, none, to my knowledge, recommend carrying an empty gun.