• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Youngsters

marrero jeff

imported post

I am 19 and i am considering carrying my usp .45 on a regular basis. dont worry, its legal in louisiana. however, i was curious about your opinions about me being so young a carrying a pistol openly. all responses welcome

younggun20

imported post

I have Open Carried since I was 19 im now 21. I do believe age will affect the way people look at you, but more importantly the way you present and carry yourself.

paintsnow

imported post

Ive been carrying my Browning hi power in .40 since i turned 18. I dont turn 19 for another couple of months, and so far ive had very few people notice, and those who have, very few ask about it.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Be polite, be courteous, be kind. Carry yourself as though you are your grandfather or father. Carry yourself with openness and dignity. Be prepared to answer questions and be challenged. Be nice.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

AbNo

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
I have Open Carried since I was 19 im now 21. I do believe age will affect the way people look at you, but more importantly the way you present and carry yourself.
This. Your dress and demeanor will have more impact than your age.

It's part of why I stopped dressing like a slob when I started to OC. :D

Now I dress like a geek with little fashion sense. :celebrate

UtahJarhead

imported post

Don't just carry a weapon. Carry a weapon you're proficient with. If you're not, you're a danger to yourself and everybody around you. Learn your gun and you'll do fantastic.

thnycav

imported post

19 is not too young when I was 19 I was carring an M16A1. The Army did not think I was too young.

slabside

imported post

I think military is different. You are trained how to conduct yourself, how to carry a firearm (I dislike the term "weapon" - It suggests that you use it for crime and not self-defense).

It has already been said, and I will reiterate...Conduct yourself honorably. Be aware of your surroundings, but not in an offensive manner. If you have a short fuse (temper) of any sort, you probably shouldn't carry.

Firearms are for self preservation (defense, hunting, etc.) and recreation.

Carrying a firearm is a big responsibility requiring the right attitude...safety at all times!

Carry safe, live safe

OCinColorado

imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
Always remember that the act of carrying a firearm is taking on a very serious responsibility. By default you are taking on the responsibility to defend not only yourself, but all those unarmed citizens around you. Take not this responsibility lightly. If you wish to carry to look "tough" or just to feel like you "have something over everyone else", I admonish you, (and everyone else here for that matter) to PLEASE NOT carry. Ponder your motives for carrying, are they for self protection in an unsafe world, or are any other motive at play? Are you willing to behave in a manner that draws respect, or are you planning on behaving, as a large number of your contemporaries do, with arrogance and (excuse my wording here) ignorance? No matter what you may think, you are NOT invincible, and at your age, still have much to learn about life and social behavior. I am sure that you have been raised well and have [pure?] motives, I am just pointing out that with the right to bear arms comes great responsibility. I also agree with earlier comments that if you have in any way an infinity to use anger, and are not in control of your emotions in ALL settings, carrying may not be advisable. A sidearm is NOT a toy!

With all this said, I welcome you to the world of open carry, and wish to say that you are not too young if you are mentally prepared, and have great respect for the ramifications openly carrying holds. I am 50 years old and have, on and off, carried openly since I was 18 in Arizona. Good luck and PLEASE be safe and carry yourself well in the public eye.

paintsnow

imported post

22-250 wrote:
I did not know the Hi Power came in 40 but I have to ask just how / what condition do you carry it?

Mine is in .40 :D

The newer ones do come in .40, thicker slide and i think an extra lug on the barrel.

I carry cocked, one in the pipe, safety on. (whatever condition that is...)

Most of the comments ive gotten, is people trying to inform me that my hammer is back, or asking if it is safe.

22-250

imported post

Only asking because my Hi Power in 9mm is not the safest gun to carry, no built in safety's like modern pistols, no hammer block, grip safety, disconnect ect.

Be careful , if the hammer drops its gonna fire, weather your on the trigger or not. At least mine will, there's even a warning in the manual about that. Great gun but...

just saying...

b_whelan

imported post

A Pistol Like That I do not know if you want to be carrying open or concealed. To much risk of a discharge. I wouild get something with a good safety. I carry my Kimber .45ACP Ultra Carry II with a thumb safety and grip safety so if the thumb safety does get fliped off that grip safety is there to prevet a discharge.

As far as carrying goes like many have said earlier just look like you belong with a gun and do not act strange or mess with it people may look but most will just assume you must be allowed to carry it, or you wouldn't be.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hey, I'm 19 (Been carrying since I was 18) and haven't had any real issues. It's truly all in how you act and carry yourself. Remember that we are held to a higher standard, especially because of our young age. I personally carry an H&K USPc in .357 Sig. I disagree that it's not a "safe" firearm to carry. The firearm has a built in safety where-as when you de-cock the firearm the hammer isn't resting on the firing pin, but on a block that keeps it from ever touching the pin. Also, how in the world is that 10lb (approx) trigger going to travel the 1.5" (approx) to be fully rearward and release the hammer? When that happens pigs will fly. I personally carry safety off, fully loaded. Once in a while I carry cocked and locked, but this is typically just if I'm doing range work. Thats the beauty of these guns, most of them you can carry condition 1. Look in the Maine section to take a look at what we've been doing, we have just stepped into the OC waters and so far we've had a pretty good time!

If you'd like to talk to me directly seeing as we are the same age and will probably be dealing with the same things feel free to email me shanebelanger@gmail.com