• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Common sense gun control

A_Berkowitz

imported post

As a liberal, I think that overall this country could learn a few things from places like New York City and California in regards to there gun control laws. I'm new to this forum, and I can already tell that most everyone on here is almost entirely against gun control; but I would like to know how much gun control you are in favor of?

I'll start;

I think that there should be a waiting period of at least several days before someone can purchase any type of gun or bullets. There should be different licenses required for guns, like one for you to keep it in your house, another for your car, etc. Also, why do we need handguns and these really dangerous/scary looking assault weapons? Is all that realy necessary for self defense? Me personally, I have a cell phone with me at all times and all I have to do is push 911 and the police will be on there way. Also, we need more gun free areas. I know that schools are gun free zones, but we also should keep guns out of other areas, like restaurants, parks, etc. Our kids are there!!

Anyway, what do you all think?

stewie-Y

imported post

A_Berkowitz wrote:
...I think that overall this country could learn a few things from places like New York City and California in regards to there gun control laws...

I'm going to stop you right there.

New York City and places in California like LA have very strict gun control laws. But, wait, gun crimes are still pretty high there.
Now lets look at, say, where I live. A moderate sized city in Utah, the state that recently got a perfect 0 on the Brady scale. For the whole state gun crimes hit the news maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I can't even remember the last time someone got shot in my specific city.

A_Berkowitz

imported post

I can't speak for california, but new york city's violent crimes has continually been decreasing, thanks to gun control in my opinion!

ABNinfantryman

imported post

Take your kids over to the house of someone who has a gun, have that individual load that gun and stick it in the corner in a chair. Then watch a movie, play a game, whatever, but leave the gun in the corner. Let me know if that gun ever gets up out of the chair and shoots your children so I can be freakin amazed that an inaminate object just came to life.

eye95

imported post

Posters like this one get us way off the topic of the board, which is OC. I prefer to extend the benefit of the doubt for a short period of time in order to help posters like this accept that OC is a right with special protection.

After a while, once it is clear that a poster is not trying expand his horizons, that his only purpose is to disrupt the OC discussion with a discussion of whether or not we should be OCing, then IMO the owners should cut him loose.

There are plenty of sites discussing whether guns should be carried. I thought this site operated on the premise that we accept OC as routine and just want to discuss the details.

Edit corrected spelling.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

First of all...violent crime has not decreased in NYC. According to the NYC Police Dept's own web site...
Crime statistics reflect New York State Penal Law definitions and
differ from the crime categories to the F.B.I. Uniform Crime Reporting System.
In other words....they've redefined the definitions and categoriesof crimes to make it LOOK good for them.

Secondly....by its TRUE definition an Assault WeaponMUST beselective fire, in other words fully automatic/semi automatic. A Ruger Mini-14, a popular hunting and sporting rifle, fires the exact same .223/5.65 NATO round that an AR-15, commonly wrongly refered to as an Assault Weapon,fires. But, because an AR-15, in your own words...LOOKS SCARY...it should be banned?

Lastly, your comment about keeping guns out of restaurants, parks, etc...Since it is the CRIMINAL that chooses the time and place of their crimes...and since, 1) police response can run anywhere from 5 minutes to as much as an hour, 2) The police are under NO legal, moral or ethical obligation to protect you, me, or anyone else, and 3) You don't trust ME with a gun...but, I'm supposed to trust that a CRIMINAL pointing a gun in my face threatening to kill me, and possibly my family,if I don't give him my wallet, car, etc, isn't going to decide that he doesn't want any witnesses so he's just going to go ahead and kill me, and again possibly my family, anyways?!?!?!?....I'll just go ahead and protect myself.

You, and all the other anti's, try to portray anyone that chooses to defend themselves by throwing names and phrases at us like; "triggerhappy," "unintelligent," "redneck," etc...and try to use emotional arguments like "Our kids our there!!" As soon a liberal throws out, "It's for the kids," you know all logic has been thrown out the window and the are relying on purely emotional arguments...and do you think a criminal gives a damn about you or"the children?"....NO!

So,to head off the typical liberal rhetoric and mischaracterizations...I was born and raised in Chicago where I lived, with the exception of my time in the military, until I was 28 (not a redneck, as if that had any bearing anyways), Graduated Suma Cum Laude with a 3.96 GPA for my BS in Computer Science (not unintelligent), and would rather that I NEVER have to pull my gun out of my holster to defend myself (not triggerhappy). But, I wouldrather have the means to protect myself at my disposal, and never need it. Than to needthe meansto protect myself, and not have it. When seconds countthe police are minutes away.