• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are if any the connecticut laws for Shooting inside

GunFire

imported post

Does any one know of any laws that prevent someone from Shooting (in a safe manner) inside of a building that you own. i.e. in your basement with a proper back stop.

This is not about lead dust, or any other item just the shooting itself. Thanks to all that reply

Just a Guy

imported post

I had the same question years back. My parents have an old dairy barn with an 80' long basement. It sits next to the road and well within 300' of their neighbor's house. I had their permission to target practice in the basement if I cleared it with the police first. I made a quick call to the barracks (Troop B, North Canaan) to double check that everything was kosher. The seargent on the other end of the phone said indoor firing was unregulated and I could proceed. He did emphasize the importance of good ventilation.

But that's a specific instance. Give your local PD a call for some input.

It's probably a gray area. I can't imagine it's OK to owna multi-family dwelling, occupy the 2nd floor, and think it's OK to fire in your living room, no matter what the backstop.

GunFire - are you local to CT? If so, and you seek local PD input, please let us know how you make out.

Thanks.

Just a guy

Anvil

imported post

Just a Guy, it may be the beginning of a new business venture for you. There probably isn't a whole lot of public indoor ranges out that way. You'd get a draw from CT & MA.

If you're not interested in that, you are very lucky to have your own private range.

GunFire

imported post

yes I am in Ct. I just talked to a local Trooper and he also said it was ok. and then asked if he could use the indoor range I set up in my Building, it is only a 60 ft range but better than nothing. I have a Three foot x Three Foot and three foot deep opening ( less chance of missing) I used 3/8 steel with a angled back and the total height is about 5.5 ft tall.
The ammo when shot in to the trap just self destroys it self on impact with the back stop with no lead or copper leaving the bullet back stop. The total cost would have been about 1400$ but I had a 4x8 sheet of 3/8 steel plate and a 1/4 " steel plate so all I need to do was buy some 1.5x1.5 angle iron that cost me about 30$ and one sheet of 3/4 " CDX ply wood for the bottom where there is about 1' of dirt to catch the small remains of what is left of the bullet. ( and the 8hours of welding and cutting)

Now the cool part, a friend of mine open a check cashing business a few years ago and had to buy bullet proof material for the walls, this stuff cost 500$ a sheet 4X8'
He gave me three sheets that are now in back of the Bullet trap, so I have a 12" wide 8' tall wall of this material on the back wall of the building. (thank god that go's into a wooded area about 500' deep and I am on top of the highest point of ground. But the trees in back of me are much taller than the high of the Trap.

PS. the trap will not work on .223, 5.45 ak74 ammo or any high power rifle ammo, and the so called bullet proof material will not stop the .223 or the 5.45x39. The .223 and the 5.45x39 go right through it and then goes right through a 1/4" plate steel placed 4 " behind the so called bullet proof material.

No hand gun bullets will go through the bullet proof material at any distance. so far have not tried a 5.7 or a .223 form a pistol length barrel.

now for the bad part the trooper told me that if a bullet left the building I will be in a lot of @#$% if it hit someone or something. So be careful if you decide to do this and make sure you use only ammo that will not leave the building like Elvis use to do.

I was also told I did not have to be 500 feet away form another building because I was inside not out side. And Shooting inside is legal. So that is what I have learned now I just need some investors to open a real indoor range. I have the land but need the building.