• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB-643 introduced by Coggs and Risser

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SB-643 was introduced by senators Coggs and Risser on March 20. It has been read once and referred to the judiciary committee. Keep you eyes on this gun-grabbing bill. It proposes that all firearm transactions, except gifts between family members, must go through a FFL dealer. Hidden in the bill is a gun-grabbing move that extends the prohibition of firearm ownership to not just felony crimes but any misdemeanor crime defined as a violent crime. For example; a person that was issued a temporary restraining order or injunction would be prohibited from possessing a fiream for five years after the issue of the order. There are other freedom robbing issues. A link to a copy of the Bill is listed below.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB-643.pdf

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Boy, hard to believe that that reps from Madison and Milwaukee would introduce legislation that takes rights away from the rest of the state. :cuss:

I don't think thatWAVE, fundedwith out of state money from the elitistChicago Joyce Foundation,is really in favor of this, lip service to the contrary. If this passes, what would they use asjustification for their existence?

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Assembly bill AB-914 was introduced March 30. It is a carbon copy of senate bill SB-643 and has the same gun grabbing provisions. Write your representatives at the first opportunity and urge them to oppose the bill if it comes up for a floor vote.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Brad_Krause wrote:
You did verify the "death" -- neither draft made it out of committee this legislative session. It could be introduced as a new draft in 2011.
Please, I need some more explanation.

I see by the 09 - 10 Blue Book that the 99th Wisconsin Legislature continues until 3 January 2011 (p255) and the 2009 - 2010 Session Schedule (p260) has three more "Deadline for sending bills to governor". All this is to say that I see nothing unique in 25 March 2010.

How are bills dead by being in committee on 25 March 2010?

Tree_Planter

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Brad_Krause wrote:
You did verify the "death" -- neither draft made it out of committee this legislative session. It could be introduced as a new draft in 2011.
Please, I need some more explanation.

I see by the 09 - 10 Blue Book that the 99th Wisconsin Legislature continues until 3 January 2011 (p255) and the 2009 - 2010 Session Schedule (p260) has three more "Deadline for sending bills to governor". All this is to say that I see nothing unique in 25 March 2010.

How are bills dead by being in committee on 25 March 2010?
For the rest of the readers, passing a bill is a complex, multi-step process, and the Blue Book is a brief overview. The following explination is so brief it is inaccurate, but will give a "big picture" most can easily understand.

A proposed bill is reviewed by a committee. If the committee has more important proposals to review, other business, or simply does not like a proposal, the committee can "kill the bill" by reccommending the house vote to kill it. Instead of taking time to explain each bill and vote on it, the committee simply does nothing within the deadline, and the bill "dies."

If the proposed bill makes it through each step of the very complex process before each deadline, it can then go for signing, which is what Doug is referencing. Neither the Senate or Assembly drafts did that.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/bb/09bb/pdf/253-320.pdf 1.8 MB 68 pages
Further Reading. The preceding section has provided a brief description of how a bill becomes a law in Wisconsin. In practice, legislative procedure is more complex than explained here. The feature article in the 1993-1994 Wisconsin Blue Book contains a more detailed description and uses a case study approach to further illustrate the legislative process. It may be accessed via the Wisconsin Blue Book link on the Legislative Reference Bureau’s Web site: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/pubs.
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/pubs/feature/legispro.pdf 2.5 MB 96 pages

How are these bills dead by being in committee on 25 March 2010, please?

ETA: "Dead" occurs only as 'deadline' in uninformative contexts.