• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Military Cartridge Brass Destruction 2010 - Round 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Notice - this report based on faulty information - mods please delete.
[line]
This end run must be stopped - it is just more gun control.

The cure that was arranged by Montana Senators Baucus and Tester to fix the intended military destruction of once-fired cartridge brass last year appears to be suffering from a fatal end-run.

Interested persons will remember that a year ago, helpful intervention by Montana's senators persuaded the Department of Defense to rescind a fresh DoD directive to military installation commanders requiring them to destroy once-fired brass prior to selling it at auction into the civilian marketplace for ammunition reloading and other purposes.

An end-run is being done around the rescinding order through quiet and sweetheart side deals with installation commanders that is being aggressively promoted by ATK.

renewed destruction warning

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
There's an update. An old memo from the first go-round re-surfaced and was taken as new.
UPDATE: Statement from ATK:
ATK is a strong supporter of our armed forces, the shooting sports industry, second amendment rights and all of our customers who choose to reload ammunition. In fact, ATK is a leader in the reloading market. A dated brochure and presentation have caused confusion in the marketplace and do not reflect the views of our company and will be immediately withdrawn. As a service to our military customers, we routinely handle demil operations for various munitions and respond to requests from military installations for reclamation and recycling of military items. Each contract is awarded through the military installation’s procurement process. The installations received fair value for the brass. ATK fully supports the provision passed by Congress last year to ensure that demilitarized spent brass casings remain available for civilian use.
Well I guess I'm in good company for not checking things further first. :?

Will request that this thread be locked or deleted as appropriate.

Edited OP.

Yata hey