• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-resident CCW License?

Big Boy

imported post

First off, sorry if this sort of thing is common knowledge, but this is the first I am hearing of it.

I live in Missouri and am only 21. Missouri requires you to be 23 to get a CCW license from them. Therefore I open carry, I am a supporter of open carry and do it often, but there are a few times I would like to conceal carry.

Apparently, some states offer non-residential CCW licenses. Can anyone give me more information on this? I've done some reading and apparently MO and several other states honor certain non-resident licenses, Missouri being one of them. So if I get a non-resident license from a state that only requires you to be 21, can I still carry in Missouri where you have to be 23 for their license?

Apparently Ohio, and Florida's non-resident licenses have the most reciprocity with other states.

Any information on the legal side of this, and also the side of how to obtain one would be very appreciated.

goalseter88

imported post

Yeah you can get a Florida non resident CCW. but one of the rules for the conceal carry when your in another state that honors the state that you have your ccw, is that you got to abide by the state your in rules for CCW. so if you had a FL CCW , you still get in trouble for CCW in Missouri due to being underage for this state. that is why if you do go to others states and conceal you should always check what their rules are for CCW.

Richieg150

imported post

If I am not mistaken.....Missouri will honor the Florida permit,outright,so you can carry concealed with a Florida permit in Missouri,at the age of 21,BECAUSE Missouri honors the Florida permit.....BUT......Kansas alsohonors the Florida permit,but also adds.....it only honors the out of state permit in the state which you reside in,so.....If you live in Missouri,and get a Florida permit,Kansas wont recognize it if youre NOT a Florida resident....

cash50

imported post

goalseter88 wrote:
Yeah you can get a Florida non resident CCW. but one of the rules for the conceal carry when your in another state that honors the state that you have your ccw, is that you got to abide by the state your in rules for CCW. so if you had a FL CCW , you still get in trouble for CCW in Missouri due to being underage for this state. that is why if you do go to others states and conceal you should always check what their rules are for CCW.
Not true. If you have the permit, age doesn't matter in MO.

imported post

MO honors all permits from all states. A person can CCW in Mo on a Maine permit at age 18 if he/she has the Maine permit.

goalseter88

imported post

i have to check the law to be sure about this. i know the instructor had it in writing that you have to follow that states laws that your in when y our in that state that honors your states CCW. not the law from where you got your CCW. but i try to find out for sure. I sure about the fact that you have to abide by the state law CCW that your in and not the state you got your permit from. I guess there might be a exception to the age limit but i dont see how so unless it states in the law that the age limit dosent apply to outside CCW permits that they honor.

Big Boy

imported post

Tried to do some quotes up above and it obviously didn't work out to well...

Anyhow this is what I got from another site:

"Here is the MO reciprocity statute:

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM

Endorsement does not authorize concealed firearms, where--penalty for violation.
571.107. 1. A concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize the person in whose name the permit or endorsement is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state.

There are no limitations, if's and's or but's. The statute is pretty clear and concise. Well, actually, there is one limitation: the out of state permit must be issued in your name!"

It would seem that you have to be 23 to APPLY for a MO license, but you don't have to BE 21 to have a license. It's almost like you can't buy a handgun when 18, but if someone gifts it to you then it's not illegal to have it.

imported post

But a person can purchase a handgun at age 18 from a private individual but not from a FFL dealer until they are 21.

You do have to follow the laws of the state that you are in concerning CCW, but nowhere in MO law does it state you have to be age 23 before you can carry concealed. Only that you have to be of the age of 23 toAPPLY for a MO permit. As stated before carrying on a Maine permit at age 18 is perfectly legal in the state of MO.

Gunslinger

imported post

Be careful of using an out of statenon-resident permit to carry in MO when you are a resident of MO. I'm not familiar with MO law, but many states will not allow you to do this. You must have your resident permit. Others are more lenient. Best to find out before you try a FL non-res to carry in your home state. In CO, you must have a CO CCW if a resident. Non-res from other states are moot.

SOVEREIGN ARMS LLC

imported post

Hello Sir:

If you have not yet gone through the CCW for FL NON resident yet we offer this instruction through SOVEREIGN ARMS LLC. Our ccw course for MO/FL is on sale at the moment for our new INDOOR RANGE opening. Price is $100. for the class and FL permit is $117. We give you the entire FL packet at the end of the day; just fill it out and send in all your info plus finger prints.

www.sovereignarms.com 636-287-8821

Article1section23

imported post

Big Boy wrote:
First off, sorry if this sort of thing is common knowledge, but this is the first I am hearing of it.

I live in Missouri and am only 21. Missouri requires you to be 23 to get a CCW license from them. Therefore I open carry, I am a supporter of open carry and do it often, but there are a few times I would like to conceal carry.

Apparently, some states offer non-residential CCW licenses. Can anyone give me more information on this? I've done some reading and apparently MO and several other states honor certain non-resident licenses, Missouri being one of them. So if I get a non-resident license from a state that only requires you to be 21, can I still carry in Missouri where you have to be 23 for their license?

Apparently Ohio, and Florida's non-resident licenses have the most reciprocity with other states.

Any information on the legal side of this, and also the side of how to obtain one would be very appreciated.

Big,

Florida will accept a Heritage Card, so you don't need any additional training if you have one. Virginia does also.

SOVEREIGN ARMS LLC

imported post

Hey Big:

Welcome. I posted the link for the states that MO and FL have reciprocity with. We are a licensed MO/FL ccw instructors. We have had several students that were 21 years of age take the ccw clas and apply for the FL nonresident permit As you will see from the MO attorney generals' map of reciprocity MO and Fl honor eachother. MO residents need to be 23 for ccw. FL res 21. It is a loophole yet honored. If you have any more questions you may call us directly at 636-287-8821. Sovereign Arms is a licensed federal firearms dealer/ NRA instructors in basic pistol/ and advanced hand gun protection intstruction of NRA PPITH/PPOTH Sig direct/ Glock/ Springfield Armory stocking dealers/TASER International distributor. Www.sovereignarms.com

imported post

MO residents need to be 23 to APPLY for a CCW permit. A MO resident can legally CCW at age 18 in MO with a Maine non resident permit. Even the MO State Highway Patrol brochure states this as MO honors all states CCW permit.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

So if you get a DA with a brain he could argue you applied for the out of state license
in violation of the law. But if you have a permit that is recognized then they
have no choice but to recognize it. So you will need to travel out of state to even
apply to protect yourself, I would suggest certified mail as you will have a receipt
from out of state proving you were not in the states jurisdiction. Use a WiFi from
a place you don't normally visit to even download the application to be safe.
That and they can't take the permit from you if you paid more than $50 without a jury trail per the constitution.
Just hope you didn't get on the MO terrorist watch list before they stopped admitting
it exists, could hurt your application. :cool:

SOVEREIGN ARMS LLC

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
So if you get a DA with a brain he could argue you applied for the out of state license
in violation of the law.  But if you have a permit that is recognized then they
have no choice but to recognize it.  So you will need to travel out of state to even
apply to protect yourself, I would suggest certified mail as you will have a receipt
from out of state proving you were not in the states jurisdiction. Use a WiFi from
a place you don't normally visit to even download the application to be safe.
That and they can't take the permit from you if you paid more than $50 without a jury trail per the constitution.
Just hope you didn't get on the MO terrorist watch list before they stopped admitting
it exists, could hurt your application. :cool:
You do not have to travel out of state to apply for a NON resident FL permit if you live in MO. After taking your CONCEALED CARRY class from Sovereign Arms LLC we give you the FL packet. You fill out the forms in the packet; obtain your finger prints locally, and mail the packet off with your $117. check to the FL department of agriculture . In 3-6 months you will receive your FL NON resident concealed carry license(providing the FBI does not deny your permit). MO has reciprocity with FL and recognizes a NON resident FL permit as giving the permit holder the same recognition to carry a concealed firearm as if the holder had a MO CCW permit.
SOVEREIGN ARMS LLC ARE LICENSED MO/FL CONCEALED CARRY INSTRUCTORS/NRA PPITH/PPOTH INSTRUCTORS/ INDOOR RANGE/FIREARMS DEALERS/ SHIP NATION WIDE FIREARMS/ ACCESSORIES/AMMUNITION/ www.sovereignarms.com 636-287-8821