• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

interstate drive

eraseallhope

imported post

So as some might of read I took a trip to nevada/arizona boarder cities recently....
And driving back and fourth across both those state lines I always had my weapon loaded and visible while in my car...

My question is about my drive home... as soon as I crossed the california state line in Needles California I unloaded and continued to open carry BUT unloaded...

I drove 4 hours through an empty desert on the 40 and 15 freeways, going threw small towns such as Ludlow, Barstow, Victerville, Hisperia etc etc.

so QUESTION is....
Are those places an incorperated area? Which would mean I. Can only UOC...
Or if I'm driving threw an empty desert like that in california am I aloud to loaded open carry?

I think the whole incorperated area thing kind of confuses me, and down right scares me cuz I'm not always sure of the legality, so I only UOC in california period, but if there is a time I can be loaded id love to know

wewd

imported post

You shouldn't have any problem LOCing in the wide open "desert areas" of San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, since shooting is generally allowed in those parts, but you can't LOC in incorporated cities. Can't LOC in Needles since it is incorporated. Unless you know the boundaries and where it's legal to shoot, it's simply safer to unload your gun when you cross the border into California.

mjones

imported post

Desert-city boundries are typically VERY vague, so unless you KNOW you are not in an incorporated are, its certainly safe to assume you are in one.

Also, even while UOC in Cali be extremely careful of Gun Free School Zones!!! In theory the prosecutor would have to prove that you knew or should reasonably have known that you are in one, but we have had one CA UOCer convicted anyway!

chewy352

imported post

How do you find out if an area is unincorperated? Is there a map of do you have to search every citys website?

wewd

imported post

I use Google Earth, and have it set to show city boundaries. Works great.

wewd

imported post

It will only show incorporated cities. Unincorporated communities and census-designated places will not have a boundary.