• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Cleveland open carry incident

daet

imported post

The area I live in Cleveland is getting much worse as the days go by. I have been exercising my right to openly carry my firearm more and more. I wear a thigh holster because I have really long arms and the fact that a jacket will not conceal also helps in this inclement Cleveland Weather.

The first steps had been to walk to my parents house and back. I have gone to stores, banks, and other places with just the holster to gather reactions. Today, I decided to just carry as I know I should.

I went to Car Parts Warehouse, no problem. I went to Advanced Auto, no problem. I went to National City, problem.

This branch of National City is located on E. 152nd st and Euclid. The 5th District police station is located about 1500 ft from the bank. Another fun fact: this location has been robbed sometime last year.

I came to deposit money and did so. After which a police officer working security asked me to talk to him outside. He asked if I was aware of the banks no guns policy. I told him no, pointed to the door, and said that I would not have entered the location if there had been a no weapons sign. He then asked if I had a permit to carry, I do not and told him so. (He quickly said something to the effect of "being one of those that are challenging the law", but please forgive my recollection, I am sick) He then asserted that I cannot come back with a weapon and that I made everyone there nervous, to which was replied that there was no sign indicating that. I asked to speak to the manager of the bank.

We then went back into the bank and I waited for the manager. When I met with her I explained that the officer indicated that there is a no guns policy and that there is no sign on the door indicating so. She said that they are under federal guidelines as to guns and that it is a bank policy. I told her just because they are FDIC insured doesn't make them a federal entity and that there would also be a sign indicating a no weapons policy. She indicated that she had no control over the signage that is put on the door and that it was a corporate decision.

Obviously, dialogue has been left out (some for brevity, some for loopiness). I Felt no compassion for me, my safety, or the security of my money (that was one of the reasons for open carrying today). The police officer was professional, but misinformed. The Manager was really uninformed and a corporate tool.

I am starting to get a bad taste about my banking venue.

And by the way: Am I the only one IN Cleveland that open carries?

theqbn

imported post

I would check with their corp office and if the corporate no-gun policy is true, FIRE THEM! If not, get that manager and security guard a nice talking-to.

I've had several people from Cleveland fill out the survey on ohioopencarry.org - hopefully you aren't alone. It takes cojones to OC in Cleveland, I'm sure.

Brian D.

imported post

With regards to that branch managerinforming youthat there's afederally mandated gun prohibition in banks--she's either badly misinformed, or an out-and-out liar. It would make me think twice about doing business there in any event.

As a rule though, most National City banks have been carry-friendly to date. Is this the chain that's being merged with PNC? The latterentity reportedly hasa much worse record regarding firearms.

Lthrnck

imported post

Brian,

PNC bought out National City.. and they are changing all the names to PNC... they are anti-gun so look for all the "NEW" Old National cities to become CPZ's when they change their signage to PNC.

Brian D.

imported post

Is PNC anti-gun in other states too, or just Ohio? (That phenomenon has occured with a few other multi-state businesses too, especially during the early days of legalized concealed carry in Ohio.)

RT48

imported post

We National City customers are already holding out collective breaths waiting to see if PNC starts posting NCB branches as they change the signs to PNC. Word is that existing PNC branches (pre-NCB buyout) are already posted in Ohio.

Please don't contact PNC corporate about this. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed hoping that they won't post the NCB branches.

I visited Pittsburgh last June and specifically checked out PNC branches to see if they were posted. I did not see any signs. So if they start posting NCB branches here, they are implementing a policy they don't have in their home state.

JSlack7851

imported post

I seem to remember reading that PNC in Pittsburg is OC friendly. Only in Ohio is it not. some one from another 2A group sent a e mail to PAFOA about this situation. Banks are tough.

5/3 bank is the most robbed bank in Columbus, but they still have a policy of 'give the money, we don't want a gun fight'.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have a PNC account and I CC there. I'm sure they don't know I'm carrying. But even so, the sign has no bearing on me as my contract does not address that issue. Their policy is not part of the contract.