• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting OC Story

elevenpastsix

imported post

My wife and I live off of Paseo Del Norte and Coors. I am not a felon. I have no prior record. A few weeks back, I had gone out on a Saturday night to get dinner for my wife and myself. She wanted McDonald's, so I set out on my food run with a list in my hand, and my Glock 22 in a Blackhawk hip holster, round chambered, magazine full, on my right side. I don't leave my apartment without being armed, especially in the evening. I get to McDonald's (with no sign prohibiting weapons of any kind) and got out of my car. Two APD officers get out of theirs, on their way to a dinner break I assume. One enters. I offer to hold the door for the second, so he walks in. At the second door, I extend the same courtesy at which point he sees my weapon. He holds the door for me this time. When inside, I extend another courtesy and say, "After you. I'm sure you guys are busy" to which he replies,"No, I'd rather you be in front of me." I place my order and sit to wait for my food. He then walks over to me and asks what department I'm with. I tell him that I'm not with any department (I'm former Air Force Security Forces, but not civilian LE). I explain that I'm simply a private citizen open carrying in accordance with NM law. He walks away. He returns and starts the small lecture about how my carrying a gun can cause undue fear in people and how I should consider not arming myself until I can get my concealed carry permit (I am in the process). I ask him, "Do you worry that your gun causes the same fear in people?" He replies, "I'm a sworn peace officer. It's part of my job." I then say, "Thank you for all that you do, but until you guys can be everywhere, at all times, I will abide by the law and arm myself for my own defense." He then walks away and his partner and him proceed to stare at me like I'm the Antichrist. When leaving, I say to him, "Hope you guys have a safe evening." He just nods like I have offended him or taken away his toy.

Moral of the story - Know your rights, don't allow police to intimidate you. They are the good guys, but they sometimes believe they are the ONLY good guys that are allowed to be out there. Most cops are great people but you still need to know your rights and exercise them.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Maybe part of SOME cops' not-so-happy attitudes re: citizens OCing has to do withcops losingsome of their "special status" if you will.

It used to be -- and still is for the most part -- that COPS were the only ones seen in public carrying a sidearm openly, not citizens. That (plus the uniform of course) made them quite distinguishable from the average citizen out in public as most people would think someone withOCing agun OUT of uniform might be a cop (detective) as they wear "civilian" clothes. Heck, even the cops in the post above first asked if you were a LEO.

So if "everyone" can OC -- likeLEOs can now -- they lose some of that "specialness" and then all they have different appearance-wise to the general public is the uniform. Maybe that bothers them.

-- John D.

P.S. And citizens tend to be better shots, too!

elevenpastsix

imported post

No doubt, they did not seem comfortable around someone without a badge carrying a gun. What I find ironic, is that 99.9999999% of everyone who open-carries is law-abiding and would jump to the aid of an officer if requested. Criminals, by the very definition are not going to open carry. They conceal illegally.

I was a law enforcement officer in the military, and I carried the gun, wore the beret, had the lights and car, and it was very obvious that the majority of the civilian cops I dealt with, or interacted with, were cops only for the distinction of being one. It's a sense of power for most. There are a few good cops out there, LEO's that are modest, and appreciate the help of good citizens. This guy was not like some LEO's I've read about on here, but you could tell he didn't like the idea of me carrying open.

I know that I have much more time behind my weapon then most cops do, and I am very familiar with it, almost to the point of intimacy. I judge situations, and have my own threat analysis (learned from the military LE training) that I use. I am no fool, as no one that carries should be.

I just wish there were a class during their training that went specifically into OC and CC rights and laws, so they would see us as resources, and not as the enemy. The more time we waste trying to educate a LEO on the law, the less time we are vigilant and aware of our surroundings. Just my opinion though.

MrGlock

imported post

Amen, don't let cops intimidate you. I've seen this several times in my own experiences which i've posted. I've had half a dozen run-ins with the cops, and here's the current score:

6 - MrGlock

0 - APD

Stay cocked and locked

M

McX

imported post

the police being upset by fairness and equality. gonna take awhile to get my head around that one:lol:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

As a 'Zonie'... with historical ties to New Mexico goin' back to Territorial days; I find this a disturbing aspect among NM LEO's. NM didn't have a CCW 'til 2004 (if I recall correctly). It's been an OC state since forever. What's the problem with the LEO's there? Transplants?

MDA_II

imported post

Transplants.

Too many people attracted to ABQ from when that idiot Marty was the mayor.....I don't cite that as fact, just opinion on my part.

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
As a 'Zonie'... with historical ties to New Mexico goin' back to Territorial days; I find this a disturbing aspect among NM LEO's. NM didn't have a CCW 'til 2004 (if I recall correctly). It's been an OC state since forever. What's the problem with the LEO's there? Transplants?
I'm in Las Cruces folks and I've asked a few LEO's "where you from". I get responses like LA, Chicago, New York and KC.
From my inquiries I've found that theses NM cities tend to recruit from outside.

So yep, I'd say transplants!