• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Jail Time for Arenas

ecocks

imported post

Seems if you're a blue-chip basketball player you can get through something like this with a slap on the wrist from thecourts and still get to keep your job. I suspect most normal people would have been fired from their position and doubt the court would be so lenient with the punishment since the gun was actually used to threaten another person.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/26/gilbert.arenas.sentencing/index.html?hpt=T1

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ecocks wrote:
Seems if you're a blue-chip basketball player you can get through something like this with a slap on the wrist from the courts and still get to keep your job. I suspect most normal people would have been fired from their position and doubt the court would be so lenient with the punishment since the gun was actually used to threaten another person.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/26/gilbert.arenas.sentencing/index.html?hpt=T1

The song "For the Love of Money" by the O'Jays comes to mind...

Too funny.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Now I don't know any of the background on this story, and maybe I missed something when I read the article... but did he actually DO anything? I mean, did he actually threaten somebody with one of the guns? Or was his crime simply bringing his guns into the locker room?

Because if it's the latter, then I don't care who you are; rich/poor, black/white, famous/nobody... it shouldn't be a crime. And if his crime was simply bringing guns into the locker room, then I think it's a load of BS that he was sentenced at all. Well, at least BS if this country was actually abiding by the Constitution...

That said, don't kill me... there may be more to this story than I read.

ecocks

imported post

AJ:

My understanding from the stories read is that he brought the guns to the locker room and brandished one at the other guy with a verbal comment/threat about the money owed. He (Arenas) later claimed they were stored there despite a prohibition against guns in the stadium. As the prosecutor mentions about Arenas repeated lying, the story changed several times along the path to what they think really happened.