• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns stolen.....

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Wholey sh*t that is discomforting. I wonder how they were storing them...not that i am trying to blame the victim, just to be clear.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Apparently they tunneled in....that is freaking crazy. I wish the Times would give more details...ok, that is asking too much.

triehl27

imported post

HOW DO YOU HAVE A GUNSTORE AND NO SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

God is heavan isn't that like #1 on the list of things inside a gun store?

1. Security Cameras.
2. Bring in Guns
3. Bring in Ammo
4. Bring in customers

I mean I again not trying to blame the owner but DAMN! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hell I thought they were out of business. I actually looked at that location in the 90's for a gunshop and found it too unsecure for putting one in there. I always thought it funny that someone actually did put a gun shop in there.

Nimh

imported post

I'm betting an inside job also. I've always felt that was an odd location for a gunshop.

KOMO's desk anchor was reporting this morning that the thieves only took semi-autos and left the revolvers and rifles, she said ...because semi-automatics hold more ammo and "fire faster". Huh. Learn something every day.

I'm not even sure some of my favorite gun shops have video cameras, or at least I haven't noticed. I'm somewhat surprised they didn't have motion sensors inside however.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Nimh wrote:
... I've always felt that was an odd location for a gunshop.
Huh???

How is a small older strip mall, on the main drag an "odd location for a gun shop"?

Where "should" gun shops be located?

I've been in that shop several times over the years. While it may not be as well stocked, polished, or secure as some other stores, there was nothing illegal (to my knowledge) in the way the business was conducted.

Leaving guns in display cases while closed, not having security cameras, higher end alarm, or other security measures may not be the best or smartest way to do business, but lets keep the blame where it belongs - on the criminals involved.

spike89

imported post

Nimh wrote:
KOMO's desk anchor was reporting this morning that the thieves only took semi-autos and left the revolvers and rifles, she said ...because semi-automatics hold more ammo and "fire faster".  Huh.  Learn something every day. 
So the anchor must have interviewed the burglars to find out what their motive was for taking the semi-autos, right?
This ain't creative writing class KOMO, you're not supposed to just make "facts" up!

Journalism 101.... FAIL

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Apparently they tunneled in....that is freaking crazy. I wish the Times would give more details...ok, that is asking too much.
While it did say "came up though the floor", no tunneling would be necessary.

Can't really tell from the picture, but the shop is technically on the second floor. The building is two-story and built on a slope. Street level is at the second floor on the west side, while at the first level on the east side. Simple break in to the business on the first level below the shop, then up through the ceiling/floor and into the gun shop.

Tomas

imported post

Saw some news pics (on KING/KONG) of the break-in and they did indeed come up through the floor.

The floor if the shop appeared to have about a three or four foot "overhang" beyond the foundation or basement wall perimeter, and the plywood and insulation was torn off and the floor above broached.

lynwood_gun_theft03.jpg

lynwood_gun_theft01.jpg

lynwood_gun_theft02.jpg

Actually easy to see how that could be overlooked in the security arrangements. That's why one should always hire pros for security jobs...

The shop did seem to have fairly decent protection around the "normal" perimeter - barred windows, barred door, good locks and perimeter alarms.

Where they failed appears to be lack of motion sensor interior alarms and looking at ceiling/floor incursion possibilities.

(Friend had a similar problem at his garage - he had good physical protection and perimeter alarms on all doors and windows, but no interior motion detection: Thieves simply took a chainsaw and came in right through the back wall. Didn't set off a single alarm.)

FMCDH

imported post

This place not taking some of the most basic of precautions like vaulting their firearms at night, orputting in even a rudimentary CC system and some sort of motion sensor security system,its just idiotic and unforgivable given the amount of profit that gun stores are making these days.

Even if they survive this loss (and they probably will due to insurance) I will never go there, and I will steer others away.

When you store weapons on the scale of a small armory, you better be putting at least SOME money toward the security of those weapons.

There is just no excuse these days for just locking the door and calling it secure. :X

amzbrady

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
This place not taking some of the most basic of precautions like vaulting their firearms at night, orputting in even a rudimentary CC system and some sort of motion sensor security system,its just idiotic and unforgivable given the amount of profit that gun stores are making these days.

Even if they survive this loss (and they probably will due to insurance) I will never go there, and I will steer others away.

When you store weapons on the scale of a small armory, you better be putting at least SOME money toward the security of those weapons.

There is just no excuse these days for just locking the door and calling it secure. :X
Hopefully there is a clause that the Insurance comp will not cover their loss due to the lack of security.

Packer fan

imported post

FMCDH wrote:

If people didn't steal in the first place they wouldn't have to have such security.

The problem isn't the shop it's the thieves! Period.

I remember as a kid, and I'm not that old, that we never locked our doors. Now people are getting blamed for not having cameras. Let's put the blame where it belongs.

One can have the bestsecurity and if a person wants to find a flaw they will.

Forgive the shop owner for trusting people.

So when the thief comes in and steals from you the insurance should say you didn't have... armed guarders 24/7?

Aaron1124

imported post

Packer fan wrote:
FMCDH wrote:

If people didn't steal in the first place they wouldn't have to have such security.

I remember as a kid, and I'm not that old, that we never locked our doors. Now people are getting blamed for not having cameras. Let's put the blame where it belongs.

So when the thief comes in and steals from you the insurance should say you didn't have... armed guarders 24/7?
Wise words, broseph.

Nimh

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Nimh wrote:
... I've always felt that was an odd location for a gunshop.
Huh???

How is a small older strip mall, on the main drag an "odd location for a gun shop"?

Where "should" gun shops be located?

I've been in that shop several times over the years. While it may not be as well stocked, polished, or secure as some other stores, there was nothing illegal (to my knowledge) in the way the business was conducted.

Leaving guns in display cases while closed, not having security cameras, higher end alarm, or other security measures may not be the best or smartest way to do business, but lets keep the blame where it belongs - on the criminals involved.
Aaah, easy there Boss... I think you and I agree that the reprehensible party here is the thieves, for sure. Absolutely. The entrance onto the stairs just felt kinda strange to me the few times I've been there. Just a person preference.

When I read trofwa's post above...

God is heavan isn't that like #1 on the list of things inside a gun store?
1. Security Cameras.
2. Bring in Guns
3. Bring in Ammo
4. Bring in customers
...I had to think not only if I had ever seen cameras, but if it was some kinda requirement that I just wasn't aware of.

I'm not blaming the gun shop for the theft, but I'm still willing to bet it was either an ex-employee or somebody familiar with their security system.

FMCDH

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Packer fan wrote:
FMCDH wrote:

Wise words, broseph.
O please.

There is a certain level of responsibility when you own, use, carry, and especially sell and store firearms, and all indications point to the fact they took almost none of that responsibility into effect.

When you ADVERTISE that you have guns on your front door and on the sign on your building, then well, your in a different classification than "Joe at home". That's simple reality.

People are overall good, but we don't live in the days of "leaving the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition with the baby in the back seat" anymore, if we ever truly did. I think to a great degree your thinking is simple nostalgia fed by the lack of media coverage of the day.

If I were investigating this insurance claim, I would be looking hard at why this store didn't have some of the most basic of security set up. Regardless of any obvious laws broken, I would be looking very closely at the owners and employees of this store as the possible thieves.

You can live "the good old days" in your head if you like, but reality trumps.