• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 21?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

So I have been thinking hard about going from my S&W Sigma 9mm to a Glock 21. Regardless of the caliber of Glock I planned on getting an AA .22LR conversion kit for it. The only AA conversion kits available are for the Glock 21 which is the same size as the 19 FWIU but obviously a bigger caliber.

I suppose what I am posting and asking is if anyone has any experience with the Glock 21...2.5 trigger aftermarket...upgrading sights....recoil....is the LE the same as a SF, if not, what is the difference?

Part of the reason that I had considered moving to a .45 was out of concern for overpenetration above all and it seems that a slower round would be less likely to overpenetrate, I could be wrong in my assersion. I have read(e) a lot of ballistic data on .45 v. 9mm and the perpetual arguement about "stopping power,"....this is not what I am looking for in this post so keep your 9mm is better than .45 or .45 is better than 9mm to yourself and just give throw me some facts if you cuold about your experience with .45 Glock of any size.

Machoduck

imported post

If you understand that a G21 is the same size externally as a G19...................you don't understand. The G19 and the G23 are the same externally and are chambered in 9x19 and 40S&W respectively. The G21 is larger in all dimensions, sharing those dimensions with the G20, chambered in 10mm. The G21SF, for short frame, is still larger than a G17, which is the model it would correspond to.

Penetration is a complicated subject, going far beyond caliber alone, or even muzzle velocity and caliber and bullet weight. Think hollow point design and the counter intuitive notion that more velocity means less penetration (sometimes).

MD

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I actually just looked up the dimensions of the 21 v 19 and the 21 is bigger...thank you for clearing that up for me. I wanted to move to a .45 but not have to carry around a handgun that is much bigger than the 19.

Maybe I should reconsider and move to a .40 instead since the size would be the same. Ahhh, so many choices...I wish I could just afford to buy one of each and be done with it :banghead:

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I carry a G21 SF daily. The grip of the G21 is too big for me, and I'm by no means a small guy. The G21 SF is just right for me. But then, I prefer a full-size gun. I also prefer the .45 ACP round.

I have the Ghost Rocket 3.5 # trigger upgrade and I like it. I don't have any night sights yet, but am planning on getting XS Big Dots.

You should really go to a gun shop or find someone who has a G21 so you can feel just how big it really is. When shopping for a Glock, I was sure I wanted a G21, but then I held one and found it was just too big for me. I had been carrying a Kimber full-size 1911 for 5 years before getting my G21 SF.

Machoduck

imported post

You're not a beginner from the sound of your posts, so I'm not in fact talking down to you when I start with basics. To me, the best gun for you is the one with the largest chambering that you can shoot well. That sounds like I'm referring to recoil; I'm not, although that's part of it. I refer to the whole ergonomic thing. Does it feel comfortable in your hand? When you bring the pistol up to acquire a target does it seem to fall in line with your own line of sight or must you shift the positioning of your wrist or hand or fingers to make things right. Does the recoil bother you? Muzzle blast? Does the slide bite you somewhere, like the web of your thumb?

What I recommend is a trip to a range where you can rent a large variety of pistols, even if you've shot several, and establish a new baseline. You may walk out of there talking to yourself but you'll have a much better understanding of what will work for you than you do now.

After you do the above then look at what ammunition is available for what purpose in your caliber. Most calibers have ammo for most purposes. No, they don't have a good grizzly bear round for the .380acp.

MD

triehl27

imported post

Sylvia,

I think that you are thinking of the Glock 30 in 45acp. it is roughly the same size as the Glock 19 and 23.

As I have both the
17 in 9mm.
22, 23, 27 in .40S&W
29, in 10mm,
30 in .45acp

17 / 22 are full size, 23 is compact, 27 is subcompact.

I love my 30, although it is definitely blocky. Very accurate, if you'd like sometime to go to the range and try them out for differences, let me know.

When I originally got my G29 I wanted a handcannon, and went out to Wades Eastside to shoot both the 29 and 30. I shot the 30 better but wanted the handcannon of the 10mm. So I got the 29 first. Th G30 is thought to be in many circles the most accurate Glock out on the market.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
You're not a beginner from the sound of your posts, so I'm not in fact talking down to you when I start with basics.

I didn't get the sense that you were talking down to me.

I was going to just sit and wait for the G-19 4th gen. to come out but have not heard anything about when that will be happening. I should probably stick with the same caliber since that is what I have always been very leary about in having too many varieties of calibers. I have kept everything in .22LR, 9mm. 12 gauge and 7.62X39 so far and might not want to throw .45 in there....but we will see lol.

I own a Beretta 92FS and had used that as my primary carry for a few months. The grip is big for my hand but has always felt comfortable but the gun is freaking heavy, expecially afterI went through it and changed all the polymer parts out and replaced them with steel.

I might have been thinking of the G-30 but Ijust looked at the specs and the grip is short....I absolutely do not want a short grip. My partner carries a G-26 and she likes it but I personally hate the short grip.

triehl27

imported post

Glock 17, 19 or 26. Full, compact and subcompact. I have all of them, and can't find a negative thing to say about any of them.

Sylvia,
The G30 has a longer grip then the G26. I would at least take a look at it and try it in the hand before writing it off. there are 2 different magazines for the G30 that effect how long the grip is.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I'd suggest you take a look (in person) at the G30. While it is the compact .45, it is almost identical in size to the G19/23/32, it is no where near as compact as the G26/27/33.

It is just a touch shorter in slide length, and with the finger rest base plate, it is the same height as a G19 with no magazine. Put a mag in the 19, and the only extra grip length you have is the base plate of the magazine.

As are all the .45/10mm Glocks, it is a little thicker than the 9mm/.40/.357 versions, but not by much.

I am a big Glock fan, and at one time or another have had a G19, G23, G32, G21SF, G30SF. The "SF" versions of the .45/10mm models stand for "Short Frame", the "hump" on the back strap is reduced in the SF models, and they have a shorter length from back strap to trigger as well as a reduced grip circumference.

Any Glock model can be had as a LE version, the LE versions are same as the other guns, just different packaging (Blue Label) and they ship with one additional magazine more than the "retail" version (3 for mid and full size models, 2 for the baby models).

Last I heard, the mid-size Gen 4's (19/23) should be coming out in the May-June time frame. Along with the ballistic differences, there is a big difference in the "feel" of shooting a Glock .40 and a .45. The .40 has a much snappier recoil with a pretty good flip, while the .45 is a slower/softer recoil with less flip. I REALLY enjoy the .45 in a Glock and after getting mine I ended up selling my Sig P220 and my Kimber 1911.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

The Glock 30 is a sub compact. So is the G36. Both of these are .45 ACP. Glock makes three frame sizes, full, compact, and sub-compact. Glock, for whatever reason, doesn't make a compact .45ACP gun. The difference between the 30 and 36 is that the 36 is a little slimmer because it uses a single stack magazine. I wish Glock made a compact model .45 ACP.

Hammer

imported post

I have both the 20 and 29 Glocks. If you want to shoot 'em, we can talk. I'd be happy to let ya, but I am pretty busy, and we'd haveta work out a time.
As was said above, they have bigger grips than all the other Glocks. Most find them too big for their hands. I like their size, but I am bigger than average, so it's easy for me to say.
I handload a lot, and load down from full house 10MM for a lot of the shooting I do. Loads are more like .40S&W+P than 10MM.
Think about what you're willing to carry around, too. A 21 with 13 rounds in the mag is a heavy chunk of iron.

911Boss

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
The Glock 30 is a sub compact. So is the G36. Both of these are .45 ACP. Glock makes three frame sizes, full, compact, and sub-compact. Glock, for whatever reason, doesn't make a compact .45ACP gun. The difference between the 30 and 36 is that the 36 is a little slimmer because it uses a single stack magazine. I wish Glock made a compact model .45 ACP.
Correct, according to Glock's model designations, the 30 is a "sub-compact". I was using the word in a more generic sense as less than "full-size".

In comparison to the other Glock models, it dimensions more closely resemble the "Compact" models (19/23/32) than it does the "sub-compact" ones (26/27/33).

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Obviously I have much to consider. I am going to be purchasing my new handgun in about two weeks so I am going to read, read, read....go to the range (SPD range) and take a look-see at all of the Glocks that they have.

I am leaning towards 9mm because the 19 is a comfoprtable CC size for me, familiar, the recoil is familiar and 9mm is a common round around the house.

911Boss

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Obviously I have much to consider. I am going to be purchasing my new handgun in about two weeks so I am going to read, read, read....go to the range (SPD range) and take a look-see at all of the Glocks that they have.

I am leaning towards 9mm because the 19 is a comfoprtable CC size for me, familiar, the recoil is familiar and 9mm is a common round around the house.
You really can't go wrong with a Glock 19. If I could only have one, that is probably the one I would keep.

Plus they look cool with the 33 round magazines!

dhs.jpg

dj_fatstyles

imported post

i have the glock 30 and the 21sf if you want to meet up sometime to check them out. give me a pm sometime if you want.