• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Having a gun at my office in MD

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Just figured I'd put it here too... I'll put a link in here when I'm at my computer tomorrow (on my phone now).

I'm trying to find out if I can take my gun with me to MD when I will be working at a friends office as a manager. What do the laws look like down there?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Mr.FiredUp wrote:
Just figured I'd put it here too... I'll put a link in here when I'm at my computer tomorrow (on my phone now).

I'm trying to find out if I can take my gun with me to MD when I will be working at a friends office as a manager. What do the laws look like down there?
You can keep a gun in your place of business... but I'd ask the 'friend' if it's OK with them first. (Private property 'n all that.) Just don't carry on the street.

press1280

imported post

I don't have the statute handy but you may want a clarification. Some states will state you need to be the actual owner in order to carry or possess it there. Permission may not be good enough.

virginiatuck

imported post

Mr.FiredUp wrote:

MD Criminal Law Article, Section 4-203:

http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gcr&4-203

Read the whole thing for yourself. I think these are probably the most pertinent snippets from the law:

<snip>
(b)This section does not prohibit:
<snip>
(3)the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
<snip>
(6)the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

(7)the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i)in the course of employment;

(ii)within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii)when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;

<snip>

There seems to be a hole in the code, though. There's no part that allows one to transport the firearm to their place of business unless they actually own or lease the space. The supervisory employee exception is only valid within the confines of the business establishment. So, one may carry it at the business, but can't lawfully get the firearm there in the first place? Maybe I'm just missing something...