• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MAINE'S OC GET TOGETHER - April 25th in Portland!

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Just a few suggestions:

Promote it as a family get together - spouses, gf/bf, kids, pets on leash and encourage everybody to bring friends and neighbors. Maybe a modest cook-out?

While it might seem counter to OC philosophy, even suggest that OC or CC or even not carrying is fine. OC if they want, but it is not mandatory.

What you want are people who are interested in meeting other normal, law abiding individuals that have an interest in RKBA properly and legally. Softly enough to attract as many as possible - then the friendly atmosphere will educate them......along with some living breathing examples.

Your numbers on OCDO are small - so don't be disappointed if the response/turnout is not particularly large. You gotta start somewhere.

When you get the date, time and place set; start a new thread and ask for a sticky. That'll keep it on top of the Maine sub-forum,

Good luck and have fun!

**These are Grapeshots suggestions and I think that they are great!! Soooooo we can run with this! I thought that these were a given, but maybe I should have portrayed them better. We want your dogs, your kids, your grandmother!! Make it an event with the family!! The only thing about the food is i'm not sure if we need a permit for that or not??? Anybody know? If we need a permit, I can get that but what would I call it? Obviously I couldn't say that it was an OC event, that would create way too much attention?

hightecrebel

imported post

Good luck with it guys. Unfortunately I'll be half a world away so I won't be able to take leave to com back home and participate, but I'll shoot mails to family and see if any of them are willing to go in my stead. Of course, none of them carry, or even own anything smaller than a long-arm...they're philistines I tell you, philistines.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

We will be walking around the back-bay cove in Portland, Maine at 2pm on the 25th of April! There is a thread discussing it here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum27/40899.html If you can attend please post here, also post what you are contributing (if anything) and how many people will most likely be coming with you! Please try to keep this thread as clean as possible! We have the other one for all the dirty details! :)

Thanks,
Shane Belanger

straydoglogic

imported post

I'll be there. I talked to my friend about the food and he said he would gladly supply some, and I also spoke with my cousin who is a PPD officer and he said that everything should be fine and recommends that we contact the PD ahead of time, just so that someone doesn't get freaked out and calls them and they get caught off guard about the whole thing. He's also looking into to whatever other information might help us out so that everything goes smoothly. I don't get the chance to check in here all that often, but Shane, if you want to meet up or give me a call to talk about details and whatnot, my number is 615-7660.

straydoglogic

imported post

I got word back from my cousin. He told me that everything should be fine but to contact Sgt. Troy Bowden. He handles traffic permits. My cousin said that he's not sure if we'll not one or not, but doesn't think we will. However, he did say that they may want the names and dates of birth of the attendees to be sure that there are no felons there. I called bullshit, and my cousin agreed, but at any rate they may ask for this info. I'm not sure who wants to be the one to contact Sgt. Bowden, but if nobody else wants to I will, just let me know.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

straydoglogic wrote:
I got word back from my cousin. He told me that everything should be fine but to contact Sgt. Troy Bowden. He handles traffic permits. My cousin said that he's not sure if we'll not one or not, but doesn't think we will. However, he did say that they may want the names and dates of birth of the attendees to be sure that there are no felons there. I called bull@#$%, and my cousin agreed, but at any rate they may ask for this info. I'm not sure who wants to be the one to contact Sgt. Bowden, but if nobody else wants to I will, just let me know.
I should probably contact him because i'm "running the event" at least thats what Peter got told when he called instead of me.

OH and B) Getting the names and or birth dates is definitely infringing upon our rights and treating us as 2nd class citizens. This should be viewed just like a boy scout barbecue... we are well within our rights!!!!

straydoglogic

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
straydoglogic wrote:
I got word back from my cousin. He told me that everything should be fine but to contact Sgt. Troy Bowden. He handles traffic permits. My cousin said that he's not sure if we'll not one or not, but doesn't think we will. However, he did say that they may want the names and dates of birth of the attendees to be sure that there are no felons there. I called bull@#$%, and my cousin agreed, but at any rate they may ask for this info. I'm not sure who wants to be the one to contact Sgt. Bowden, but if nobody else wants to I will, just let me know.
I should probably contact him because i'm "running the event" at least thats what Peter got told when he called instead of me.

OH and B) Getting the names and or birth dates is definitely infringing upon our rights and treating us as 2nd class citizens. This should be viewed just like a boy scout barbecue... we are well within our rights!!!!
I completely agree, and that's why I called BS. So yeah, give that guy a call and we should be all set.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

straydoglogic wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
straydoglogic wrote:

I completely agree, and that's why I called BS. So yeah, give that guy a call and we should be all set.
You went beyond and above what is required by giving them a heads up on the event.

Names and birth dates!!! I don't think so.

Does Maine have a stop and identify law - NO. Must you "show your papers" when doing nothing illegal - NO. The request is extra-legal and truly BS in capital letters. If you comply, you will be doing so consensually and likely have no grounds for valid complaint.

Three considered responses: ignore the request, refuse it, or demand (politely) under what legal authority such request is being made and request the information in writing. That should put an end to that.

If you do decide to call, record it and download it to your computer - it is legal in Maine.
http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/maine.html

Yata hey

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hmm, do you happen to have a number for him? I left a voicemail with the PD today and someone? I forget the name is calling me in the morning... hopefully i'll be out of class when he calls! They said the he "can answer any questions that I have" so that should be an interesting conversation as I don't have very many questions since they have already been answered by Ted

MEJeepNut

imported post

OK,I am here because of the artical in the PPH.What is this event promoting?Is it just a show of what kind of holsters and grips people have?Does it promote gun safety in any way?Is there any substance to this event and if not is there time to change that???????

Will there be literature there on gun safety courses and if not can someone arrange to have some???????

Will there be literature about local shooting ranges and what they have to offer and if not can someone arrange to have some ???????

Will there be anyone there to talk to people about there fears of guns but who think they need one?One who can talk sainly and softly with knowledge and leave the 2nd amendment emotion out of it ?

I came to this sight hoping for a lot more then it is,It is lacking...........A lot of people came to this sight and laughed......If you people are going to have a sight that promotes guns then you need to do better then this!With all the new gun owners in this country you need to promote safety first!!!and noboy should have to register for anything that has to do with safety,it should just be there for them to click on and links to safety instructors and state laws in every state.......

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

MEJeepNut wrote:
I came to this sight hoping for a lot more then it is,It is lacking...........A lot of people came to this sight and laughed......If you people are going to have a sight that promotes guns then you need to do better then this!With all the new gun owners in this country you need to promote safety first!!!and noboy should have to register for anything that has to do with safety,it should just be there for them to click on and links to safety instructors and state laws in every state.......

We have some summaies of laws in our map section and by clicking on each state - but this is just a starting point of course.

What is a "safety instructor"?

MEJeepNut

imported post

by safety instructor I mean safe firearm handling classes.Lots of ranges offer classes as well as the state.

straydoglogic

imported post

MEJeepNut wrote:
OK,I am here because of the artical in the PPH.What is this event promoting?Is it just a show of what kind of holsters and grips people have?Does it promote gun safety in any way?Is there any substance to this event and if not is there time to change that???????

Will there be literature there on gun safety courses and if not can someone arrange to have some???????

Will there be literature about local shooting ranges and what they have to offer and if not can someone arrange to have some ???????

Will there be anyone there to talk to people about there fears of guns but who think they need one?One who can talk sainly and softly with knowledge and leave the 2nd amendment emotion out of it ?

I know that there are some of us doing our best to help out with this whole thing. Here's an idea, instead of complaining about how it's not up to your standards, why not take a little initiative and lend a hand? It's counterproductive to sit and say what is lacking as opposed to asking what you can do to assist in the areas that you feel may need work. Welcome to the forum by the way.