• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Washington with Handgun

Gunmad

imported post

I have an Oregon concealed handgun license. Will be visiting in Washington. Once I cross the Oregon/Washington border, what do I need to do with my handgun to carry it lawfully in Washington, in my car? What Washington laws, if any, would I need to concern myself with?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

There is no reciprocity between WA and OR for CPL/CWP. Therefore your OR status is irrelevant while in WA.

The basics are:

-WA. has pre-emptive gun laws, the state law rules, no local ordinances can be more restrictive.
-Open carry of a loaded firearm is legal.
-NO loaded handgun in a car unless you have a valid CPL (WA., or one it recognizes).
*NOTE* "Loaded" by WA law means a round physically in the gun, regardless of whether it is chambered, the correct ammo, or even could be chambered. If you place a loose .500S&W cartridge in the mag well of a Ruger LCP, it is a "Loaded" gun under WA law.
-Gun and ammo can be in proximity, and in same area of car (no requirement to keep separate).
-If gun is in unattended vehicle, the vehicle needs to be locked and gun must be concealed from view.

RCW 9.41.270 talks about carrying weapons capable of producing bodily harm.
RCW 9.41.300 will tell you where you can't carry per state law.

All of the main laws can be found here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

911Boss wrote:
There is no reciprocity between WA and OR for CPL/CWP. Therefore your OR status is irrelevant while in WA.

The basics are:

-WA. has pre-emptive gun laws, the state law rules, no local ordinances can be more restrictive.
-Open carry of a loaded firearm is legal.
-NO loaded handgun in a car unless you have a valid CPL (WA., or one it recognizes).
*NOTE* "Loaded" by WA law means a round physically in the gun, regardless of whether it is chambered, the correct ammo, or even could be chambered. If you place a loose .500S&W cartridge in the mag well of a Ruger LCP, it is a "Loaded" gun under WA law.
-Gun and ammo can be in proximity, and in same area of car (no requirement to keep separate).
-If gun is in unattended vehicle, the vehicle needs to be locked and gun must be concealed from view.

RCW 9.41.270 talks about carrying weapons capable of producing bodily harm.
RCW 9.41.300 will tell you where you can't carry per state law.

All of the main laws can be found here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41
Also check out the FAQ section at the top of the Washington forum

Gunmad

imported post

When driving here in Oregon (I'll be driving my '65 Dodge Coronet to a car show) I keep my handgun under my seat. A likely scenario: crossing border, take mag out of gun, place gun under seat, put mag in glove compartment.

Is that OK with a LEO? Or is that an unlawful concealed gun?

I'll check out the FAQ's

Thanks

sirpuma

imported post

Your magazines can also be loaded, just not in the firearm. Long guns (ie rifles and shotguns) can NOT be loaded at all, even if you do have a valid CPL, though you can have separate loaded magazines for them.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Gunmad wrote:
When driving here in Oregon (I'll be driving my '65 Dodge Coronet to a car show) I keep my handgun under my seat. A likely scenario: crossing border, take mag out of gun, place gun under seat, put mag in glove compartment.

Is that OK with a LEO? Or is that an unlawful concealed gun?

I'll check out the FAQ's

Thanks

"Concealed" is only an issue if you are concealing it on your body. If it is on you, concealed, whether loaded or not, without a CPL you are in trouble.

Off body it is a little more complicated, but if unloaded, you can transport it pretty much any way you wish. In a holster, under the seat should be ok.

To be absolutely safe, 9.41.060 has the specific exception of unloaded firearms being carried in a "closed opaque case or secure wrapper" to protect someone from being charged with a violation of unlawful carrying (9.41.050).

joeroket

imported post

911Boss wrote:

I would beg to differ with you on that one. Loaded means that there is a round in the chamber or a loaded magazine is inserted and locked in place in the pistol.