• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calguns Foundation and Attorney Jason Davis get wrongfully seized firearm returned with NO CHARGES!

cato

imported post

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=284261
By Jeffu

Thank you Jason Davis + CGF

Ever since my arrest from last April, it's been a nightmare. From going with the wrong law firm, uneducated/uninformed attorney disregarding all evidence and previous court cases and suggesting me to plead guilty to something that I did NOT do, giving my DNA sample, going to life lesson classes, to surrendering my gun rights...Until about a month ago, I was really fed up, fired my attorney and contacted CGF, Kevin (Oaklander) who referred me to attorney Jason Davis.

I finally got a chance to meet up with him this Wednesday and all it took was 1 phone call from Jason to the police department, that same night the detective called back and told me I was all good to go and I could pick up my firearm that they confiscated and refused to return just a month ago. All I can say is wow!!! Jason did what my attorney couldn't do for a year in 1 phone call.

Guys, if you ever run into ANY trouble at all, contact CGF & Jason immediately. Don't even bother trying to save a few bucks and going with amateurs, because in the end it'll come back and bite you in the ***. Which I learned the hard way.

I'd like to thank you CGF & Kevin & Jason for helping an innocent, responsible and law-abiding citizen retain his rights! Now it's my turn to payback CGF and help out the next victim.

Please remember that freedom isn't free. Donate here.

In this case we wish that this person would have called us first so the first bit of nastiness didn't even happen. As long as you are innocent of the gun charge and whatever caused you to be in contact with law enforcement is minor, we can almost always help.

We have quite a few more stories just like this about ready for public consumption.

-Gene
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.

[align=center]"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
rolleyes.gif

Ultima Ratio Liberarum[/align]

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I'm confused. Why would you post a testimonial and solicitation for donations on an open-carry forum when the CalGuns Foundation has repeatedly stated that they will not defend open-carry cases?
Has their policy changed?

Streetbikerr6

imported post

We are not to shut our eyes and ears on how CalGuns helps GUNOWNERS... which we all are. They will help an OC'er but they will not assist in an OC related case. Please notice the difference. There is good reason they won't help OC cases until certain SCOTUS decisions are rendered.

flintlock tom

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
We are not to shut our eyes and ears on how CalGuns helps GUNOWNERS... which we all are. They will help an OC'er but they will not assist in an OC related case. Please notice the difference. There is good reason they won't help OC cases until certain SCOTUS decisions are rendered.
My point exactly.
If they won't assist in "Open Carry" cases, why solicit donations on an "Open Carry" forum?

coolusername2007

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
Streetbikerr6 wrote:
My point exactly.
If they won't assist in "Open Carry" cases, why solicit donations on an "Open Carry" forum?
I'm glad CGF was able to help this guy out. Now I wonder if they can help out Chewy with his PRAR denial from the LAPD. Just one phone call.

Ca Patriot

imported post

CalGuns banned me from their site for asking what their opinion on open carry was.

hoffmang

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
I'm glad CGF was able to help this guy out. Now I wonder if they can help out Chewy with his PRAR denial from the LAPD. Just one phone call.
Chewy was asked to contact Kevin Thomason/Oaklander on CGN. Not sure if he did yet, but please make sure he does as we will help with that.

Love the attitude guys. Helping gunonwners doesn't matter if it's not helping your preferred form of political protest. That attitude makes other gun owners suspicious that it's all about you and not all about gun rights.

-Gene

wrightme

imported post

hoffmang wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
Chewy was asked to contact Kevin Thomason/Oaklander on CGN. Not sure if he did yet, but please make sure he does as we will help with that.

Love the attitude guys. Helping gunonwners doesn't matter if it's not helping your preferred form of political protest. That attitude makes other gun owners suspicious that it's all about you and not all about gun rights.

-Gene
It isn't an "attitude." It is what this website is about. It is about "Open Carry." It seems CalGuns isn't.

M

McX

imported post

life lesson class?! you've got to be kidding! how politically correct!

wrightme

imported post

cato wrote:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=284261

Please remember that freedom isn't free. Donate here.

In this case we wish that this person would have called us first so the first bit of nastiness didn't even happen. As long as you are innocent of the gun charge and whatever caused you to be in contact with law enforcement is minor, we can almost always help.

We have quite a few more stories just like this about ready for public consumption.

-Gene
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.

[align=center]"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
rolleyes.gif

Ultima Ratio Liberarum[/align]
So, if CalGuns states that they will not defend OC cases, and Gene Hoffman states the above bolded statement that they WILL "almost always help," the disclaimer in red must be applicable?

This thread seems to mostly be about "let no disaster go un-exploited." Kind of like all the political donation request emails I get. :p

chewy352

imported post

hoffmang wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:

-Gene

My contact info has been sent to Kevin and I am awaiting his call.

My understanding of CGF is that they have a specific plan of attack and that does not include UOC at this time. However if a UOCer has a case that could help with their plan then they are more than happy to help. We all have to remember that CGF does not have unlimited funds and must pick cases based on how it fits with their plan.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

This thread reminds me of a new OCDO forum rule John & I have been thinking about codifying - sort of a takoff of Ronald' Reagan's Eleventh Commandment, "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican."

It might read somthing like "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow forum member or other pro-gun groups or websites."

In public policy, just like in business, every organization or sub-community is going to tend to appeal to a particular issue niche and it does not seemproductiveto speak poorly of others in the same general camp especially when no organization or sub-community can rightly claim that only it knows how best to move the ball forward.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mike and Gene are right-

Basically what I see here is that the Cal UOC proponents doing exactly what some members of Calguns have been accused of doing.

Look- neither group should be so critical of what the other is doing, because as Mike indicated, there is no one group that shares the same method of advancing the ball. What is evident though is that each moment we set aside to attack our 2nd amendment brothers and sisters is a moment that was not targeted for the Brady Campaign, LCAV, million mommers, and dozens of other anti-gun organizations.

We must stand united against them rather than further factionalize ourselves with this namecalling and bickering.

flintlock tom

imported post

I'm all for taking the high ground, Mike, but it's hard to ignore an insult like this.
They, members and board members alike, take every opportunity to characterize our activity as a "macho", "egocentric" "jerk-off stunt" and then come here and solicit donations. They proclaim the open-carry movement as doing irreparable harm to the gun rights movement, of only thinking of our own short-term goals. They tell us that if we get in trouble we're on our own, no help from them. And, oh, by the way, how about sending us a donation?

And, now, it seems that it's we that have an "attitude" problem.

Gundude

imported post

I agree with MIke. We are all on the same mission, just taking different approaches. I have seen some calguns bashing here. I don't go to calguns, butI understand there is some bashing of the OC'ers from them, so maybe the "don't bash" message should be posted in both forums.

I watch the Nevada forums on several sites, and they LOC and it's perfectly legal there. They seem to be LOC'ing to desensitize the public and LEO's. After some bad LEO contacts on the "strip", they LOC there without any LEO contact.

I think we have done that here in CA by UOC'ing. It's almost impossible to get an (e) check here in San Diego county. The bay area LEO's seem to be calming down for the most part also. I don't see us getting any negative press here. Just some from the Brady bunch, but they are ineffective andon the way of the dinosaur.

Hopefully, after incorporation, we can all calm down and watch all the changes in the Calif gun laws. It should be interesting to see if the legislature changes the laws without the courts forcing them.

JP the optimist

hoffmang

imported post

One of your own who I have the utmost respect for posted this - not a CGF person. I came in to reply to an honest question.

I would like to point out that CGF has in the past specifically defended a UOCer improperly arrested. Also please remember that what we've been saying is that UOC in urban California is not a good idea at this time. LOC where legal in California is fine and something we'd happily defend. If you can't get a CCW and you need self defense in urban California, we will defend proper locked unloaded concealed carry as well.

No matter what though - we are not your insurance policy and there is no guarantee we can take any case - even if its completely clean.

-Gene

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
I'm all for taking the high ground, Mike, but it's hard to ignore . . .
Maybe I'm gettin' old (birthday this week, don't ask how old), but that snip's all I needed to read and my aging brain was instantlyfilled with old adages from my parents, teachers, and Sunday sermons, e.g., two wrongs don't make a right; turn the other cheek; if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anythng at all; etc.

These adages are not iron clad rules but do have some grains of truth to them I think and cautions one to just chill a little sometimes especially on these online forums that the whole planet can read.

Ca Patriot

imported post

I dont know how a group like CalGuns can claim to be about protecting the rights of gun owners but at the same time specifically saying they wont defend an OC'er who is completly legal.

I asked on the CalGuns forum for them to explain why they wont defend law abiding OC'ers and they banned me from their board.

Why doesnt CalGuns just merge with the NRA to support "reasonable and politically safe gun rights"......and oh yeah, keep the donations coming !!