• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WO&D

Forty-five

imported post

Are any sections of the WO&D trail off limits to OC. The trails runs from Shirlington (near Arlington) to Purcellville.

nova

imported post

NVRPA is jointly operated by several counties and therefore falls under preemption.

I've OC'd at a few different regional parks, in front of FCPD, and no issues. I wouldn't expect any different really. This isn't Norfolk :p

bohdi

imported post

Considering the amount of assaults and attempted rapes in the last few years you'd think they'd be handing out weapons or at least those GPS tag devices for skier's incase there is an avalanche......

Forty-five

imported post

Good point Bohdi. Went again this morning. Had long stretches without seeing anyone (particulary once I got west of Ashburn).

dcmidnight

imported post

Forty-five wrote:
Good point Bohdi. Went again this morning. Had long stretches without seeing anyone (particulary once I got west of Ashburn).

Yeah I ride the section west of 28 pretty frequently after work and it still freaks me out when it starts to get dark and I dont see anyone around. Had not thought of carrying until now but it certainly seems like a smart idea.

Where/how/what do you carry on your rides?

bohdi

imported post

One of the local channels did a report on it a week ago. Assault attempts were up like 11% this "season" on the trail and people had to be reminded not to use Ipods with headphones while walking/running/jogging, use cell phones, and pay attention to their surroundings because that is how the victims have become victims. Not paying attention to what's around them and not hearing the attacker approach.

Man, that sounds like a reoccouring theme I hear alot here. "I'm more aware of my surroundings when I carry...."

markand

imported post

Shouldn't be any problem carrying on the W & OD (which, by the way, stands for the Washington & Old Dominion railway, in who's track bed the trail resides)

I used to bicycle the trail frequently, from Arlington toward Leesburg. Not in the same ride, of course. The trail's about 40 or more miles long. I, too became spooked in the more remote parts of the path, particularly beyond Herndon. There are places where there really isn't much around.

About 25 years ago, a young, female tennis pro at a country club in Chantilly went for a run in a more remote part of the path and never returned. I recall from news reports that a large pool of human blood was found near the path, and in her blood type, but as far as I know, her body was never recovered.

On another bike path on the eastern edge of Fairfax City, a neighbor of mine, young fit guy, was attacked by a large man. He escaped and ran away, but these bike and running paths in the area can be problematic. Easy for creeps to hang out and attack people. There isn't much access to these paths and many aren't wide enough for an emergency vehicle other than another bicycle. I do know the Fairfax County police have officers on bikes patrolling these paths, but there can't be enough of them.

The W&OD right near the Vienna, VA community center has been the scene of numerous flashers. I saw one many years ago standing right up against the community center building! No cell phones in those days, so the guy was long gone before police arrived.

I'll never go out on the W&OD or any of the other such parks unarmed.

Tomahawk

imported post

There have been sexual assaults on the George Washington trail along the Potomac River near Mt. Vernon, a very beautiful, and very wealthy, area, lined with actual mansions, not McMansions. The trail is Natl. Park land, so until recently carry was outlawed there.

W.E.G.

imported post

and in particular

http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/wod/

"The 100-foot-wide W&OD has been called "the skinniest park in Virginia." But it is also one of the longest parks, 45 miles of paved trail for walking, running, bicycling and skating and 32 miles of adjacent gravel trail for horseback riding. Built on the roadbed of the former Washington & Old Dominion Railroad, the multi-use W&OD Trail runs through the urban heartland and countryside of Northern Virginia.

W&OD Trail Hours: The park is open all year, from dawn to dusk.]

Location: The W&OD Trail runs from Shirlington near I-395 to Purcellville in Loudoun County."

ed wrote:
should be fine..

•The W&OD Trail is owned and operated by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority

Forty-five

imported post

dcmidnight wrote:
...Where/how/what do you carry on your rides?
Still working on perfecting my cycling rig. Since I do not wear a belt while cycling, I have been using a paddle holster, which works well with my cargo shorts.

conhntr

imported post

Nvrpa also operates bull run shooting center (shotgun/archry) only