Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Visiting Dams

  1. #1
    Regular Member kwiebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post

    Recently I visited one of the dams on the Columbia, it happened to be Bonneville. At the gate before driving up to the visitor center, the private security guard asked some questions, including "any firearms with you today?"

    I wasn't carrying and didn't have time to get into a conversation about it, content to research it when I got home. So I just said "No." But I'm guessing the guard was not merely taking a survey.

    As you may know, the management/operation of these dams appear to involve many different agencies (e.g., US Army, Dept of the Interior). But as far as I know, they're public property.

    Is there a "terrorist law" or something that gives them the right to screen firearms from these properties?

    Curious. I couldn't find anything about it on the web, readily.

  2. #2
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241

    Post imported post

    Here it states the Army Corps of Engineers owns the dam.

    http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/b/home.asp
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Poulsbo, Washington, USA
    Posts
    546

    Post imported post

    My family had a similar experience when trying to visit the Kennedy Space Center museum. We'd paid something like $40 each to get in, then when we went in the door there was security to rival an airport. They wouldn't let my dad in with his 1" swiss army knife, and when I took a picture they grabbed my camera and deleted it. They said no refunds, or I would have walked out right then.

  4. #4
    Regular Member swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    I have found this...

    http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title36....2.0.1.14.html

    Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
    PART 327—RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS
    Browse Previous| Browse Next

    §327.13Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    [65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]


  5. #5
    Regular Member Aryk45XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    513

    Post imported post

    swatspyder wrote:
    I have found this...

    http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title36....2.0.1.14.html

    Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
    PART 327—RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS
    Browse Previous| Browse Next

    §327.13Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    [65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]
    So you have to carry kinda like they do in Cali. Unloaded with a mag separate?

  6. #6
    Regular Member swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    Aryk45XD wrote:
    swatspyder wrote:
    I have found this...

    http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title36....2.0.1.14.html

    Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
    PART 327—RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS
    Browse Previous| Browse Next

    §327.13Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    [65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]
    So you have to carry kinda like they do in Cali. Unloaded with a mag separate?

  7. #7
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    swatspyder wrote:
    I have found this...

    http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title36....2.0.1.14.html

    Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
    PART 327—RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS
    Browse Previous| Browse Next

    §327.13Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    [65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]
    There are dams with authorized shooting ranges?
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  8. #8
    Regular Member Aryk45XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    513

    Post imported post

    I saw that too. So if there is a range there, does this mean you can't bring your own ammo? This state has more "grey" areas than most of the states I have been to. For the amount of firearms there are... it sure seems like the law makers don't want you to have them out of your house or find out where they can be legally taken for recreation. Out of sight, out of mind unless you can figure out the puzzles. Even then, if authorities catch you, you may get hassled. What's that all about?

    ETA: I was always under the impression that anything outside city limits was legal for shooting. Is this true or not here?

  9. #9
    Regular Member kwiebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post

    amzbrady wrote:
    swatspyder wrote:
    I have found this...

    http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title36....2.0.1.14.html

    Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
    PART 327—RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS
    Browse Previous| Browse Next

    §327.13Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    [65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]
    There are dams with authorized shooting ranges?
    If it weren't backed by Obama, it's a cinch this could be a stimulus plan project, "install shooting ranges at the country's dams..."

  10. #10
    Regular Member Aryk45XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    513

    Post imported post

    I don't think Obama has anything to do with all of the past years of laws.

  11. #11
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    Aryk45XD wrote:
    I saw that too. So if there is a range there, does this mean you can't bring your own ammo? This state has more "grey" areas than most of the states I have been to. For the amount of firearms there are... it sure seems like the law makers don't want you to have them out of your house or find out where they can be legally taken for recreation. Out of sight, out of mind unless you can figure out the puzzles. Even then, if authorities catch you, you may get hassled. What's that all about?

    ETA: I was always under the impression that anything outside city limits was legal for shooting. Is this true or not here?
    Can you hunt fish there with a 45?
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  12. #12
    Regular Member kwiebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post

    Aryk45XD wrote:
    I don't think Obama has anything to do with all of the past years of laws.
    It was a joke about the "stimulus," not past years' laws. You know, how the "stimulus" is funding everything from covered garages for bicycles to tatoo removal and odor research? The list is pretty repulsive and absurd, so I thought "shooting ranges at hydroelectric dams" fit right in. Except that the Obama admin is anti-gun so they probably wouldn't like that one.
    I guess if you have to explain it, it's a lost cause. But I thought it was funny :celebrate

  13. #13
    Regular Member kwiebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post

    Aryk45XD wrote:
    ETA: I was always under the impression that anything outside city limits was legal for shooting. Is this true or not here?
    RCW 9.41.300 (2) allows counties to restrict the discharge of firearms. Excerpt:

    (a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized.

    So no, it's not true.

  14. #14
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    kwiebe wrote:
    Aryk45XD wrote:
    I don't think Obama has anything to do with all of the past years of laws.
    It was a joke about the "stimulus," not past years' laws. You know, how the "stimulus" is funding everything from covered garages for bicycles to tatoo removal and odor research? The list is pretty repulsive and absurd, so I thought "shooting ranges at hydroelectric dams" fit right in. Except that the Obama admin is anti-gun so they probably wouldn't like that one.
    I guess if you have to explain it, it's a lost cause. But I thought it was funny :celebrate
    OT and speaking of Obama bin Laden. I just watched on the news, showing him visiting someAfgan leader. In his speech in speaking to theUS troops,he says Says he is there to say thank you on behalf of... (pause, uh, who am I with, uh oh yeah.) the American people. Looks to me like He forgot what country he is supposed to be representing. watch the video about half way in.

    http://www.kirotv.com/politics/22980186/detail.html
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  15. #15
    Regular Member Aryk45XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    513

    Post imported post

    Yeah, I get it... I just don't like it. Sorry, the whole stimulus thing is ridiculous and I'm tired of it.
    I haven't tried to shoot anywhere other than Champion Arms, but I used to be able to just go right outside city limits in other states and relax with some music through my headphones and blasts through my barrels. It's harder for me to tell exactly what is permitted here. A lot of the ranges I've heard about have some dumb rules too. I'm missing my freedoms.

  16. #16
    Regular Member swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    amzbrady wrote:
    kwiebe wrote:
    Aryk45XD wrote:
    I don't think Obama has anything to do with all of the past years of laws.
    It was a joke about the "stimulus," not past years' laws. You know, how the "stimulus" is funding everything from covered garages for bicycles to tatoo removal and odor research? The list is pretty repulsive and absurd, so I thought "shooting ranges at hydroelectric dams" fit right in. Except that the Obama admin is anti-gun so they probably wouldn't like that one.
    I guess if you have to explain it, it's a lost cause. But I thought it was funny :celebrate
    OT and speaking of Obama bin Laden. I just watched on the news, showing him visiting someAfgan leader. In his speech in speaking to theUS troops,he says Says he is there to say thank you on behalf of... (pause, uh, who am I with, uh oh yeah.) the American people. Looks to me like He forgot what country he is supposed to be representing. watch the video about half way in.

    http://www.kirotv.com/politics/22980186/detail.html
    On behalf of the ENTIRE.... American people.

  17. #17
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    swatspyder wrote:
    amzbrady wrote:
    kwiebe wrote:
    Aryk45XD wrote:
    I don't think Obama has anything to do with all of the past years of laws.
    It was a joke about the "stimulus," not past years' laws. You know, how the "stimulus" is funding everything from covered garages for bicycles to tatoo removal and odor research? The list is pretty repulsive and absurd, so I thought "shooting ranges at hydroelectric dams" fit right in. Except that the Obama admin is anti-gun so they probably wouldn't like that one.
    I guess if you have to explain it, it's a lost cause. But I thought it was funny :celebrate
    OT and speaking of Obama bin Laden. I just watched on the news, showing him visiting someAfgan leader. In his speech in speaking to theUS troops,he says Says he is there to say thank you on behalf of... (pause, uh, who am I with, uh oh yeah.) the American people. Looks to me like He forgot what country he is supposed to be representing. watch the video about half way in.

    http://www.kirotv.com/politics/22980186/detail.html
    On behalf of the ENTIRE.... American people.
    And how does that make Yous feels.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  18. #18
    Regular Member swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    amzbrady wrote:
    swatspyder wrote:
    amzbrady wrote:
    kwiebe wrote:
    Aryk45XD wrote:
    I don't think Obama has anything to do with all of the past years of laws.
    It was a joke about the "stimulus," not past years' laws. You know, how the "stimulus" is funding everything from covered garages for bicycles to tatoo removal and odor research? The list is pretty repulsive and absurd, so I thought "shooting ranges at hydroelectric dams" fit right in. Except that the Obama admin is anti-gun so they probably wouldn't like that one.
    I guess if you have to explain it, it's a lost cause. But I thought it was funny :celebrate
    OT and speaking of Obama bin Laden. I just watched on the news, showing him visiting someAfgan leader. In his speech in speaking to theUS troops,he says Says he is there to say thank you on behalf of... (pause, uh, who am I with, uh oh yeah.) the American people. Looks to me like He forgot what country he is supposed to be representing. watch the video about half way in.

    http://www.kirotv.com/politics/22980186/detail.html
    On behalf of the ENTIRE.... American people.
    And how does that make Yous feels.
    Like I was listening to someone who cannot speak for himself, but read a speech written by one of his staff members. And then still screw up when he tries to state something off the top of his head.

  19. #19
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Post imported post

    i agree he knows how to emote, and point, and make eye contact, enough that people
    think he is concerned, and caring, or thoughtful, and sincere, or smart, and HONEST but
    he doesnt have any real thoughts right there in his very own brain!!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    antispam540 wrote:
    My family had a similar experience when trying to visit the Kennedy Space Center museum. We'd paid something like $40 each to get in, then when we went in the door there was security to rival an airport. They wouldn't let my dad in with his 1" swiss army knife, and when I took a picture they grabbed my camera and deleted it. They said no refunds, or I would have walked out right then.
    That's overstepping the line. There's an exception for up to a 2.5" blade (which I thought was 3.5" - almost had my SOG Flash II confiscated in Boston >.&lt.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    250

    Post imported post

    Aryk45XD wrote:
    I saw that too. So if there is a range there, does this mean you can't bring your own ammo? This state has more "grey" areas than most of the states I have been to. For the amount of firearms there are... it sure seems like the law makers don't want you to have them out of your house or find out where they can be legally taken for recreation. Out of sight, out of mind unless you can figure out the puzzles. Even then, if authorities catch you, you may get hassled. What's that all about?
    Umm, this is federal law not state law. Almost all of the dams are federal property/facilites, so federal law would apply and it's not our states "Grey Area"

    XD

  22. #22
    Regular Member Difdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    996

    Post imported post

    antispam540 wrote:
    and when I took a picture they grabbed my camera and deleted it. They said no refunds, or I would have walked out right then.
    That's not legal. In fact, I believe that doing so is a federal-level felony. Deleting files or destroying film requires a court order (as does seizing the camera, for that matter, unless they take custody of it during an arrest, but then deleting image files would be destruction of evidence).

    Interesting law: http://www.justice.gov/crt/crim/242fin.php

    Now, it applies only to government types. But it's worth noting that ONLY a government type person has any legal authority to infringe on your rights at all. Either someone seizing the camera and destroying your property (images) is a private citizen, and therefore has committed a felony...or they're a public official and have also committed a felony.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Aryk45XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    513

    Post imported post

    XD45PlusP wrote:
    Aryk45XD wrote:
    I saw that too. So if there is a range there, does this mean you can't bring your own ammo? This state has more "grey" areas than most of the states I have been to. For the amount of firearms there are... it sure seems like the law makers don't want you to have them out of your house or find out where they can be legally taken for recreation. Out of sight, out of mind unless you can figure out the puzzles. Even then, if authorities catch you, you may get hassled. What's that all about?
    Umm, this is federal law not state law. Almost all of the dams are federal property/facilites, so federal law would apply and it's not our states "Grey Area"

    XD
    I meant in general. I wasn't talking about dams anywhere else. I've never been to a dam in any state.

  24. #24
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a dam. (Couldn't resist sorry )

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048

    Post imported post

    Aryk45XD wrote:
    swatspyder wrote:
    I have found this...

    http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title36....2.0.1.14.html

    Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
    PART 327—RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS
    Browse Previous| Browse Next

    §327.13Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    [65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]
    So you have to carry kinda like they do in Cali. Unloaded with a mag separate?
    Well it also states "ammunition" as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •