• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Dams

kwiebe

imported post

Recently I visited one of the dams on the Columbia, it happened to be Bonneville. At the gate before driving up to the visitor center, the private security guard asked some questions, including "any firearms with you today?"

I wasn't carrying and didn't have time to get into a conversation about it, content to research it when I got home. So I just said "No." But I'm guessing the guard was not merely taking a survey.

As you may know, the management/operation of these dams appear to involve many different agencies (e.g., US Army, Dept of the Interior). But as far as I know, they're public property.

Is there a "terrorist law" or something that gives them the right to screen firearms from these properties?

Curious. I couldn't find anything about it on the web, readily.

antispam540

imported post

My family had a similar experience when trying to visit the Kennedy Space Center museum. We'd paid something like $40 each to get in, then when we went in the door there was security to rival an airport. They wouldn't let my dad in with his 1" swiss army knife, and when I took a picture they grabbed my camera and deleted it. They said no refunds, or I would have walked out right then.

swatspyder

imported post

I have found this...

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title36/36-3.0.1.1.2.0.1.14.html

Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
PART 327—RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS
Browse Previous| Browse Next

§327.13Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
[65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]

Aryk45XD

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
I have found this...

PART 327—RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS

(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
So you have to carry kinda like they do in Cali. Unloaded with a mag separate?

swatspyder

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
swatspyder wrote:
I have found this...

So you have to carry kinda like they do in Cali. Unloaded with a mag separate?

amzbrady

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
I have found this...

There are dams with authorized shooting ranges?

Aryk45XD

imported post

I saw that too. So if there is a range there, does this mean you can't bring your own ammo? This state has more "grey" areas than most of the states I have been to. For the amount of firearms there are... it sure seems like the law makers don't want you to have them out of your house or find out where they can be legally taken for recreation. Out of sight, out of mind unless you can figure out the puzzles. Even then, if authorities catch you, you may get hassled. What's that all about?

ETA: I was always under the impression that anything outside city limits was legal for shooting. Is this true or not here?

kwiebe

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
swatspyder wrote:
I have found this...

There are dams with authorized shooting ranges?
If it weren't backed by Obama, it's a cinch this could be a stimulus plan project, "install shooting ranges at the country's dams..."

amzbrady

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
I saw that too. So if there is a range there, does this mean you can't bring your own ammo? This state has more "grey" areas than most of the states I have been to. For the amount of firearms there are... it sure seems like the law makers don't want you to have them out of your house or find out where they can be legally taken for recreation. Out of sight, out of mind unless you can figure out the puzzles. Even then, if authorities catch you, you may get hassled. What's that all about?

ETA: I was always under the impression that anything outside city limits was legal for shooting. Is this true or not here?
Can you hunt fish there with a 45?

kwiebe

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
I don't think Obama has anything to do with all of the past years of laws.
It was a joke about the "stimulus," not past years' laws. You know, how the "stimulus" is funding everything from covered garages for bicycles to tatoo removal and odor research? The list is pretty repulsive and absurd, so I thought "shooting ranges at hydroelectric dams" fit right in. Except that the Obama admin is anti-gun so they probably wouldn't like that one.
I guess if you have to explain it, it's a lost cause. But I thought it was funny :celebrate

kwiebe

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
RCW 9.41.300 (2) allows counties to restrict the discharge of firearms. Excerpt:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized.

So no, it's not true.

amzbrady

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote:
It was a joke about the "stimulus," not past years' laws. You know, how the "stimulus" is funding everything from covered garages for bicycles to tatoo removal and odor research? The list is pretty repulsive and absurd, so I thought "shooting ranges at hydroelectric dams" fit right in. Except that the Obama admin is anti-gun so they probably wouldn't like that one.
I guess if you have to explain it, it's a lost cause. But I thought it was funny :celebrate

OT and speaking of Obama bin Laden. I just watched on the news, showing him visiting someAfgan leader. In his speech in speaking to theUS troops,he says Says he is there to say thank you on behalf of... (pause, uh, who am I with, uh oh yeah.) the American people. Looks to me like He forgot what country he is supposed to be representing. watch the video about half way in.

http://www.kirotv.com/politics/22980186/detail.html

Aryk45XD

imported post

Yeah, I get it... I just don't like it. Sorry, the whole stimulus thing is ridiculous and I'm tired of it.
I haven't tried to shoot anywhere other than Champion Arms, but I used to be able to just go right outside city limits in other states and relax with some music through my headphones and blasts through my barrels. It's harder for me to tell exactly what is permitted here. A lot of the ranges I've heard about have some dumb rules too. I'm missing my freedoms.:banghead:

swatspyder

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
kwiebe wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote:

OT and speaking of Obama bin Laden. I just watched on the news, showing him visiting someAfgan leader. In his speech in speaking to theUS troops,he says Says he is there to say thank you on behalf of... (pause, uh, who am I with, uh oh yeah.) the American people. Looks to me like He forgot what country he is supposed to be representing. watch the video about half way in.

On behalf of the ENTIRE.... American people. :uhoh:

amzbrady

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
kwiebe wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote:

And how does that make Yous feels.

swatspyder

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
swatspyder wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
kwiebe wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote:

And how does that make Yous feels.
Like I was listening to someone who cannot speak for himself, but read a speech written by one of his staff members. And then still screw up when he tries to state something off the top of his head.

1245A Defender

imported post

i agree he knows how to emote, and point, and make eye contact, enough that people
think he is concerned, and caring, or thoughtful, and sincere, or smart, and HONEST but
he doesnt have any real thoughts right there in his very own brain!!!!

Tawnos

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
My family had a similar experience when trying to visit the Kennedy Space Center museum. We'd paid something like $40 each to get in, then when we went in the door there was security to rival an airport. They wouldn't let my dad in with his 1" swiss army knife, and when I took a picture they grabbed my camera and deleted it. They said no refunds, or I would have walked out right then.
That's overstepping the line. There's an exception for up to a 2.5" blade (which I thought was 3.5" - almost had my SOG Flash II confiscated in Boston >.<).