• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun shop oops..

BrownC6

imported post

I was in a Gun shop and range in Bothell today and someone buying ammo for range use dropped a bag of 100 9mm cartridges and one of these cartridges landed perfectly on the rim of another causing it to explode in the middle of 11 people luckily no one was hit by any parts of the shell. I will post a picture of the leftovers when i figure out how to get it off my new phone haha.

FMCDH

imported post

Just to venture a guess....Shooting Sports Northwest?

Not that the store has anything to with with such a freak occurrence, but they do sell reloads in bags of 100.

joeroket

imported post

Did it look like this bag?

mgi9mm-01.jpg

amlevin

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
What, no, why. Whats next, gonna store it in a rock tumbler?

What's the big deal about rock tumblers? I use one to finish all my 9mm, .223, and ,308 ammo. Have done it for 0ver 30 years and many tens of thousands of rounds.

Ever notice how everyone "knows someone who had a problem with tumbling finished ammo" but nobody has ever had it happen to them? If tumblers were so bad then how would the military deliver ammo to the battlefield. Ever been inside a "Huey" or Blackhawk. There's a heck of a lot more vibration in one of those than in a "tumbler", not to mention what happens when ammo is air-dropped.

Another Urban Legend.

Back to the store incident, ammo exploding outside a gun chamber or enclosed space is usually not destructive. The energy is dissapated quickly and within a few feet at most. The pieces with the largest mass travel the least distance. The small pieces of shrapnel don't have enough mass to do much more than sting, that is unless you are holding it in your hand.