• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon CHL Class

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Received this info from Gray Peterson today at the gun show. The Maryland handgun training satisfies the handgun training requirement for Grant County. You can take this ONLINE class for FREE. You still have to fill out the Oregon required forms & fingerprints but the class is free.

There is no cost for taking this course and it should take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

Maryland Online Training Course - http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

BTW.. Sheriff Palmer of Grant County was at the Puyallup Gun Show and took over 100 applications for the Oregon CHL today.

You can download the Grant County Sheriff CHL Application as well.
The CHL will still cost you $65 ($50 to the Sheriff / $15 to the State Patrol)

Be sure to pass this along to any other boards you might be a member of.....

<edit> fixed the number of applicants

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

thanks for the info.
Just asking, why would we want a one-state license? Because it's close to here?
Also would Missouri be better than Utah since it covers Nevada?

FMCDH

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
thanks for the info.
Just asking, why would we want a one-state license? Because it's close to here?
Also would Missouri be better than Utah since it covers Nevada?
Some of us visit Oregon regularly, and since an Oregon CHL is the only licence that they recognize...

Mech

imported post

That is great news M1Gunner! Ever since moving to Maryland 3.5 years ago (for college) I have since then completed the aforementioned online course. It was very easy, covers really basic info only. In the end you get a PDF file that you can print out and keep on your person. I'm planning on moving back to Vancouver, WA after graduation and will be working in Portland quite often; it's great to hear I don't have to take another class to get my Oregon CPL! Now I just gotta dig it out...

dustin.vallee88

imported post

Even with the class and application I still need to have my fingerprints taken in person right.....so when is this guy going to be back in the area....I hope I didn't miss out on a one time chance.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

You can go to the County building (Tacoma) or any department that will take them (for a fee).

I don't know when he is coming back (Gray may have more info on that).

dustin.vallee88

imported post

So I would just have to get them taken in tacoma and have them sent over to Grant County? What if I already have some on file with Tacoma?Also how do I get in touch with Gray and does he have some sort of schedule posted that I could look at?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

dustin.vallee88 wrote:
So I would just have to get them taken in tacoma and have them sent over to Grant County? What if I already have some on file with Tacoma?Also how do I get in touch with Gray and does he have some sort of schedule posted that I could look at?
When they take the prints there is a section that they need to sign off on, you need the print card, a passport photo, the Sheriff's paperwork and the copy of the training certificate mailed to him with the required funds.

PM gray for info: Gray Peterson

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Received this info from Gray Peterson today at the gun show. The Maryland handgun training satisfies the handgun training requirement for Grant County. You can take this ONLINE class for FREE. You still have to fill out the Oregon required forms & fingerprints but the class is free.

There is no cost for taking this course and it should take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

Maryland Online Training Course - http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

BTW.. Sheriff Palmer of Grant County was at the Puyallup Gun Show and took over 700 applications for the Oregon CHL today.

You can download the Grant County Sheriff CHL Application as well.
The CHL will still cost you $65 ($50 to the Sheriff / $15 to the State Patrol)

Be sure to pass this along to any other boards you might be a member of.....
A few things:

1) We didn't take over 700 applications. It would have been completely impossible to fingerprint that many in a 7 hour period. Sheriff Palmer is a machine but that not THAT much of one. We took a little more than 110 or so, and we were pretty bushed with all of the activity.

2) Oregon state law does NOT allow for someone to submit the application by mail. Period. The only people who are currently allowed by mail to RENEW their application by mail are members of the military serving out of state. This is the reason why the Sheriff had to come up to a show in order to allow easier forms of application instead of having to drive all the way down to Canyon City, OR.

3) I'm sure Sheriff Palmer will be back up soon.

Gray Peterson

imported post

POSTED THIS ON CALGUNS:

UPDATE:

Sheriff Palmer made an appearance and took applications for Concealed Handgun Licenses at the Washington Arms Collectors show in Puyallup, WA. The people at the "Oregon Carry License" table were Sheriff Palmer, his wife, his daughter, his son-in-law and myself. For the folks that came across the table and wanted to know legal and technical details of the license and the reasons to get it were referred to me as the "sales pointman" for this situation.

We used ink fingerprinting at this particular show, as it was scheduled when we believed that the funds for the portable livescan would have been raised by then, and it was beyond a point of no-return to pull out. We also needed a "beta test run" to figure out efficiencies and inefficiencies with doing this at a gun show.

Let me say that Sheriff Palmer was a MACHINE. He was fingerprinting almost the ENTIRE time for seven hours straight. We had over a hundred applicants throughout the whole day and they were lining up before the show even officially "started" at 9AM. Even I was pretty burned out even though I was just generally the pitchman for the whole deal, the guy that explains what's going on and what the advantages are to getting an Oregon license. We went until 4PM, the last hour mostly being a few people that turned in off the net printed apps (and people who left with two apps so they could get their spouses) as we had actually RAN OUT of applications around 2:30PM.

We learned some great lessons about where we could be more efficient. First is to more widely advertise the online application and see if we can make it a fillable application. Any CalGunners want to do a project and want to take the application (it's posted in the first post) and make it a fillable app?

Second part is the portable livescan machine, which would have allowed probably 25%-50% more applications if we had the available applications.

Third part is to make sure we have LOTS of helpers with every step of the application.

Fourth is make sure during announcements on websites to make it clear: BRING A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER MADE OUT TO THE OREGON STATE POLICE FOR $15! :)

Sheriff Palmer's "team" (wife, daughter, son-in-law) are some of the most patient and dedicated folks I've worked with. Doing this sort of thing for family takes a lot of personal dedication and belief, rarely seen in this day and age.

We also had a "donation jar" for the LiveScan. There were lots of 50's and 20's in it but I don't dare say how much it is in there, as I'll let Palmer make that announcement.

I've never been so personal proud to be part of the team that allowed over 100 Washington State residents be able to carry for their personal protection in Oregon, and that was just in one team. Two cheers for Sheriff Palmer!

I can only imagine how many apps Palmer can take in various locations in California, that'll help his department.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

First, Thanks to Sheriff Palmer and his family, they were awesome! What dedication from an entire family to spend a day of their family time working for the cause of liberty, freedom and the Second Amendment! Wow!

Second, thanks to Gray Peterson for taking the lead on making this happen! Gray you are truly someone to be respected for taking point on issues like this.

I donated my $, filled out my paperwork for my Oregon CHL and will be looking forward to it in the mail. I grew up in Vancouver, have friends and family in Portland, my parents have their retirement home in Sisters, OR and it will definitely be comforting to know I can travel to the adjoining state and have a worry free visit. AND what a great cause to support! Advantage to the CHL holder as Oregon does not have preemption and several cities have a ban on OC unless you posses a Oregon CHL.

I believe that Grant Co. is now in my summer plans for a weekend getaway. In addition, the Sheriff has instructed the deputies of Grant County that they are to accept a concealed license issued from any state! The way it should be, however you have to travel through the rest of Oregon to get there, but that is the way we all hope it will be soon.

Gray Peterson

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
First, Thanks to Sheriff Palmer and his family, they were awesome! What dedication from an entire family to spend a day of their family time working for the cause of liberty, freedom and the Second Amendment! Wow!

Second, thanks to Gray Peterson for taking the lead on making this happen! Gray you are truly someone to be respected for taking point on issues like this.
I was there too the entire day helping and doing the "pitchman" deal, and explaining everything, but his family deserves a almost all of the credit. His wife is a saint, his son-in-law is really cool to deal with (and took the photos), and his daughter is awesome to work with.

Also, thank Tom Rasor at the Washington Arms Collectors for seeing the value of this very unique situation, and getting us a table spot right up front near the WAC membership desk (we did have a lot of people come by asking about WAC membership renewals, and we got about a dozen people interested in getting it once they found out about it).

Tomas

imported post

Absolutely excellent work!

I have relatives in Springfield, OR that we visit fairly often, and it always annoys me that there is no reciprocity. :( (At least they recognize my driver's license...)

I wasn't able to get down to the WAC Show this time, but next time the Sheriff is in the area I definitely will have all my ducks in a row and be there!

Bovaloe

imported post

Ok so I just finished the class, I will mail the form off to MD.
Im making a trip to Oregon coast next week, could I just take one of the cards down and fill out the needed paperwork, get fingerprinted, pay the fee and get my card mailed to me?
Do I need to bring a passport photo with me or will they take one when i fill the stuff out?

Gray Peterson

imported post

Bovaloe wrote:
Ok so I just finished the class, I will mail the form off to MD.
Im making a trip to Oregon coast next week, could I just take one of the cards down and fill out the needed paperwork, get fingerprinted, pay the fee and get my card mailed to me?
Do I need to bring a passport photo with me or will they take one when i fill the stuff out?
You can mail it to Maryland, but it is not necessary. Kept an electronic copy for your records and give a copy of it to Sheriff Palmer.

Grant County is the only county that I know of that will generally issue one for you just by walk in. I would recommend you call ahead, and it is in CANYON CITY, OR, which is in eastern Oregon. So you'd be taking a bit of a large detour to go to Grant County, OR.

This being said, once you turn in your app it will get mailed to your address within 45 days.

heresolong

imported post

Clarification needed. Anyone know if this

Presents evidence or equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service
quote from the application means that my military service exempts me from needing a separate training course, or does it allow me to prove that I had handgun training in the military?

AFAIK unless you qualified for the pistol ribbon, there is no evidence of any of the training that we all did in the Navy. Since my job did not require that I keep up any qualifications or get any of the marksmanship awards, I never really had an opportunity to do so.

Stretch

imported post

Anyone have any issues (not permitted to have Oregon CHL) with this section of the Oregon CHL Application for non-residents?

If you are a non-resident of Oregon, have you ever been arrested for a crime anywhere else?

A big difference between an arrest and conviction. Just wondering for those who were young and dumb once but never convicted of being stupid... :)

Hendo

imported post

M1Gunr - "BTW.. Sheriff Palmer of Grant County was at the Puyallup Gun Show and took over 700 applications for the Oregon CHL today."

I want M1 to count my situps at my next workout.:celebrate

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Hendo wrote:
M1Gunr - "BTW.. Sheriff Palmer of Grant County was at the Puyallup Gun Show and took over 700 applications for the Oregon CHL today."

I want M1 to count my situps at my next workout.:celebrate
10 years of riding in a tank and the ears hear things..... I'm sure GogoDawgs heard the same thing I did....

Hendo

imported post

Yeah - you know you are supposed to take those yellow thingies out of your ears after going to the range.