• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry saved me last night.

guitrman1001

imported post

Will try not to make this long but get all the facts in.
Went on first of season motorcycle ride with pals yesterday. We rode all day
fine San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, Newport beach and back home to the
IE. We enjoy taking all back roads and not hitting the freeway.
I had just split up with my friends to head home it was night time
around 8pm. I decided to pull off the road and put on my holster. Up until
then I hadn't carried all day. I took off again about ten min later was on a back road in Chino going towards the 60 I was at a stop light and a car pulls up left of me.
I always try to be really away of my surroundings and give myself an out if need be.
My motorcycle is loud and I can't really hear anything while on it.
The car has four guys in it. The front passenger says something and I don't understand what he is saying.... I ignore it... Then I hear louder from the back seat
Hey hey "A" he said I like your motorcycle. I just did a little wave and said thanks and looked forward and then the one in front says.... No I SAID... I LIKE YOUR MOTORCYCLE and shit A You should let me ride it....Light changed I sped off. They caught up with me at the next light and this time stopped closer to my lane so they were really close.
Hey Homie I like your bike.....Shit I could ride it........... by now I am realizing they aren't going away....

Next light I pull over more to the right side of the lane and really pay attention
I can't wait for the light to turn green so I rev my engine like I am going to go
when it turns green but stay there seeing what they do. They don't take the green they wait at it with me... So I take off fast and hit some side streets trying to lose them it is pitch black and they are following me. By now I am sure it is going to go bad and I didn't want it to be where I have no witnesses.
I zig and zag in and out of streets trying to lose them and they are on my tail fast.
I know the closer I get the freeway there will be a gas station because my GPS shows me all the gas stations so I head there....
I speed to a gas station I am just seconds away I pull off park my bike
and get off they pull up next to me and I turn to make sure they can see my holster.
They say something and I don't remember the adrenaline was running high and I said...
How is this going to end? I walk around my bike to put it in between them and me
I had already released my thumb break. I hear something said like.... Go Beto he isn't worth it or something like that........

In hindsight I know there are things I should have done different.... I have been running it in my mind over and over and over again..... It shook me up. It should have. This was my first instance where I may have had to defend my life........ I would have. I am glad I was carrying. I came home safe to my family.........

M

McX

imported post

definitely a 'close encounter', glad it went well for you. definitely a valid reason to recite when people ask you about why you carry. it can happen any time, anywhere. you were ready. i wonder if the scum bunch went off, after leaving you, and found another victim?

Chrisc411

imported post

After reading through your story, you handled your self very well and kept a level head, which in cases like this some people cannot. IMO you did the right thing by finding a place with witnesses and possibly cameras just in case something had gone either good or bad. If i was in your shoes i would hope i keep mine as well. This is exactly the point of open carry is that if necessary we can and will defend ourselves, personal defense is not just in your home as you just shown here it was you just riding your bike down the street and it escalated beyond that. And were all thankful that you can go home to your family after such an ordeal unscathed. This is something we prey we will never have to be part of but glad that we can and will protect ourselves if and when necessary.

Carry on!

chewy352

imported post

Glad you made it home ok.

So this brings up a question in my mind. Would he have been justified in loading?

12031 (j) (1) Nothing in this section is intended to preclude the
carrying of any loaded firearm, under circumstances where it would
otherwise be lawful, by a person who reasonably believes that the
person or property of himself or herself or of another is in
immediate, grave danger and that the carrying of the weapon is
necessary for the preservation of that person or property. As used in
this subdivision, "immediate" means the brief interval before and
after the local law enforcement agency, when reasonably possible, has
been notified of the danger and before the arrival of its
assistance.

Gundude

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Glad you made it home ok.

So this brings up a question in my mind. Would he have been justified in loading?

12031 (j) (1) Nothing in this section is intended to preclude the
carrying of any loaded firearm, under circumstances where it would
otherwise be lawful, by a person who reasonably believes that the
person or property of himself or herself or of another is in
immediate, grave danger and that the carrying of the weapon is
necessary for the preservation of that person or property. As used in
this subdivision, "immediate" means the brief interval before and
after the local law enforcement agency, when reasonably possible, has
been notified of the danger and before the arrival of its
assistance.
For me, I would have been racked with the safety off ready to party.

Iopencarry

imported post

I too, would have been locked and loaded and ready to rock.

Sir, you went above and beyond what you needed to do to protect yourself.1st, you ignored them. then you tried to evade them by leaving the sense. they then followed and gave chase. You then wereableto make itto a well lit and populated station.

No more could have been asked by anyone.

As soon as you got off the bike, you were able to lock and load.

However, with all that said, you were able to defuse them, and still makle it home.

YOU sir, did just fine.

We-the-People

imported post

Lock and load it. Presenting an unloaded firearm in such a situation gives the BGs in the car the opportunity to employ their loaded firearm and take you down before you will have time to draw, load, and defend yourself.

The bike being between you and them was a good move and, had they drawn weapons,could have provided cover while you did lock, load, and engage.

Always remember, it is far preferable to be tried by 12 than to be carried by 6.

We-the-People

imported post

The situation was definitely beyond the requirements of the law to lock and load. There is no reason not to take every lawful action which includes locking and loading.

I'd have been locked, loaded, safety off, weapon at low ready,my audio recorder would have been running at a minimum from the second light. Depending on location (i.e. LE attitude and response expected) I may have placed a 911 call prior to coming to a complete stop but ONLY if that action didn't interfere with my ability to lock and load.

eraseallhope

imported post

[/quote]
For me, I would have been racked with the safety off ready to party.[/quote]

Hahaahha that's funny...

But would you be considered brandishing if you had loaded up right in the parking lot?

Yea the car took off, but what if some other person was scared and saw you lock and load and didn't know the car that drove off was following you..

Sticky situation, but you handled it perfect IMO

OPS MARINE

imported post

That WAS a sticky situation, and I am in agreement with the majority...12031(j). I'd have been condition one because the element of surprise is already on my side (no pun intended). Good thing Beto was informed of his shortcomings and you got home safe.

ETA: Good move placing the bike between you and what you don't like. Another barrier for the a**holes.

demnogis

imported post

I would have broken leather too. Probably racked and loaded too.

What is one to do in such a situation. The antagonists continued to pursue, despite where you went. Demanded to (ride) take his motorcycle. Berto's friends were right, it wouldn't have been worth it. Outnumbered 4 to 1 by people of questionable intent. You fulfilled whatever duty there was to retreat.

Everyone is just glad no event transpired and one of Berto's friends realized there was nothing to be gained by the confrontation on their part.

Most people forget how vulnerable you are on a motorcycle. Take every defense you can!

eraseallhope

imported post

What would of happend if the police had been called...

And you were in a school zone!?

coolusername2007

imported post

Hey Guit, you did good, you made it home, and that's all that matters in the end. Glad they wised up and left you alone. In hindsight, and not being there here's what I would have done, not necessarily all of them or in any particular order.

• "Safely" run one or more red lights to evade.
  • Made a last-second turn, or even u-turn (though in this instance probably wouldn't have mattered)
  • Keep on going without stopping. Stopping and getting off to confront them should be an absolute last resort option. But obviously don't go home.
  • By the time you pulled over and dismounted, I would have concluded there was nothing else to do but draw my magazine at an absolute minimum, and more likelywould have loaded and racked the slide. See the Tueller drill messages in another thread and the youtube videos. IMO UOC'ers don't stand a chance against a full speed attackinside of21 feet. Though with them still in the car, you would have had an additional second or two. But by that time, your life and propertyis what matters most, not a potential brandishing charge.

Robin47

imported post

You did good sir !

I was in a situation almost like that at one time.

Back about the middle 1970's, the bar was closing, and a guy I met in the bar we decided to get a 6-pack and finnish it in the car. So we were drinkijng and talking at about 2:15 am in the empty parking lot. Then another car pulled 2 places over next to us, I thought "Oh shot", and 4 guys got out with a tire iron and one with a empty bottle, whay I didn't know is the guy I was drinking with had a 357 loaded and ready to go.

He reached down under the seat pulled it out and steped out of the car and by his side just cycled the cylinder once, the other guys heard it and the tire iron went back in the car, and so did the empty bottle.

A change in Attitude real quick ! One guy then ask if we had a beer to sell them we said no, so they got back in the car, but my friend said We will give you a couple of beers thought. and he did and they left.

It could have been a bad situation, no cops around and they must have been eating dounuts at the 7-11 store ! :what:

Robin47 :lol:

markm

imported post

Hey Guitrman1001,

I am amazed with the armchair quarterbacking that I am reading while following this thread.

Questions:

1. Could you have drawn and loaded your weapon while operating your bike and trying to evade the Perps?

2. Could the Perps have taken your action to load-up your weaponin the gas station parking lot as an ESCALATORY move and then drawn their weapons to defend themselves from you?

3. While you were still operating your bike, didyou have time to create a "comprehensive" tactical plan, or were you too busy trying to maintain visual contact with the perps, too busy watching traffic, too busy tryingto evade the perps, and too busy trying to find a place with witnesses?

My point is that the outcome was perfect. In that situation, you acted perfectly because the perps fled the scene without your bike.

Multi-taskingwhile riding a bike can be difficult. Task-overload may have resulted in you wrecking your bike or losing your weapon. Darkness adds more variables to the situation.

Your incident is further proof that"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" was divinely inspired.

I hope I act as well as you did if I am ever put in your situation someday. I won't know until it happens. Sure, I have handled myself well in altercations before, but one mistake in your situation could have become your lastmistake.

markm