Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 week wait for CPL in Macomb County

Post imported post

it is taking 12 weeks to get a CPL in Macomb Co. it even says so right in their website.

http://www.macombcountymi.gov/clerks...nLicensing.htm

the CPL pamphlet from the michigan state police says right in it that they have to approve or deny you within 45 days. is there anything that can or should be done? i understand that they are bogged down, but they are not complying with state law.

Post imported post

Remember it is 45 days from the day the gun board receives your fingerprint report back. If you do not have it by then go to the clerks office. If they do not respond appropriately then speak to the prosecutors office. I ran into this with Macomb. I went in on day 45 and demanded to know if they approved or denied me. This was around 4pm and they said the person who prints the license had already left. I was told however to come in the next day and pick up my license.

Post imported post

it only took 6 days from the day i applied at the clerk's office and had my prints taken at the Macomb County Sheriff's to get to step 8 out of the 10 steps (according the the application status part of the macomb county clerk's website). they got everything they need to know about me in 6 days.

so, how does it take 3-4 months if they are getting everything back from the state police and FBI within a week?

also, i would like to say that the michigan state police and FBI seem to be very squared away. they seem very efficient.

Post imported post

LUNO58 Rocks!!!

Welcome to OCDO.

Watch for the UFO

Post imported post

This sucks for me as I am taking my CPL class in 3 weeks.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Post imported post

fozzy, do not despair yet. i am only going on what the clerk's office's website says. i will keep you informed of how long it actually takes.

Post imported post

It took me about 3 months to get my cpl in macomb county.
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Post imported post

My CPL class is 2 weeks from tomorrow, which means I likely wont have my CPL until mid July.

Post imported post

Yikes. And I thought it was bad that I took mine last January and got mine in late March.

Dodged that one.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

fozzy,I submitted my cpl application at macomb countyand done my fingerprints on february 17th, and my gun board meeting is may 7th

Post imported post

so, i applied at the macomb county clerk's office on 3/9 and my meeting with the concealed weapon board is 5/21.

Post imported post

I did my paperwork/fingerprints on April 5th (Day after my B-day) and I haven't received a date yet per Macomb County CPL website. This sucks! It took my buddy who lives in Big Rapids about 2 weeks after turning his paperwork in to get his CPL.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

I dropped my paperwork off/prints taken at Wayne Co. on the Monday June 7th. I was told expect a wait of between 90 & 150 days (3 to 5 months!) WTF? They are having lots of trouble with prints not being clear enough in addition to not being able to get the approved CPLs in the computer in a timely manner.

At $105 a pop plus $10 pic fee you think they could keep their print scanner working?

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

a bunch more OC should help rush it thru. if every time you get told by LEO why don't you get CPL and conceal - just say i applied 4 months ago..still waiting..have a good day.

Post imported post

DefenderoftheColt wrote:
    I did my paperwork/fingerprints on April 5th (Day after my B-day) and I haven't received a date yet per Macomb County CPL website. This sucks! It took my buddy who lives in Big Rapids about 2 weeks after turning his paperwork in to get his CPL.
    Join the club.

8. Macomb County Sheriff's Office receives background report regarding fingerprints from the Federal Bureau of Investigations(FBI). 04/28/2010

Post imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
    I dropped my paperwork off/prints taken at Wayne Co. on the Monday June 7th. I was told expect a wait of between 90 & 150 days (3 to 5 months!) WTF? They are having lots of trouble with prints not being clear enough in addition to not being able to get the approved CPLs in the computer in a timely manner.

At $105 a pop plus $10 pic fee you think they could keep their print scanner working?

That sucks, happened to me too. I think mine took around 14 weeks.
    Anything that has to do with wayne co. is usually a cluster beep.

Post imported post

Oakland County 7 Weeks in the mail.

God Bless
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Your Macomb County Concealed Pistol License application has been processed. You are scheduled to appear before the Concealed Weapons Licensing Board on 07/09/2010. Time of appointment is scheduled 1-2 weeks prior to meeting date.

The Licensing Board reviews nine applicants every 15 minutes starting at 9 a.m. You will receive a letter via U.S. Mail approximately two weeks prior to your Board of Review date informing you of the exact time of your review meeting.

Macomb County Court Building
    Fifth Floor
    Court Administrators Conference Room
    40 North Main
    Mount Clemens, MI 48043
    Phone 586-469-5749
    See http://www.mapquest.com for driving directions.
    Process Date Completed
    1. Application filed with Macomb County Clerk's Office. 04/20/2010
    2. Fingerprints filed with Macomb County Sheriff's Office. 04/21/2010
    3. Macomb County Sheriff's Office forwards fingerprints to the State of Michigan and Federal Bureau of Investigation for a background check. 04/21/2010
    4. Macomb County Sheriff's Office prepares applicant's Criminal Case History report for the Concealed Weapons Licensing Board to review. 04/26/2010
    5. Macomb County Sheriff's Office requests incident reports from local police department, unless the Sheriff's Department serves as applicant's local police department. 04/26/2010
    6. Macomb County Sheriff's Office receives Incident Report from local police department, unless the Sheriff's Department serves as applicant's local police department. 04/29/2010
    7. Macomb County Sheriff's Office receives background report regarding fingerprints from the State of Michigan. 04/28/2010
    8. Macomb County Sheriff's Office receives background report regarding fingerprints from the Federal Bureau of Investigations(FBI). 04/28/2010
    9. Macomb County Clerk's Office receives the State of Michigan and Federal Bureau of Investigation Reports from the Macomb County Sheriff's Office. 05/14/2010
    10. Concealed Weapon Licensing Board of Review meeting is scheduled for:
    PLEASE NOTE: This date may be subject to change up to a week prior to the meeting. 07/09/2010

Less than 24 hours to go.

Got my CPL renewal in Macomb County back on June 11th in 7 weeks.
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way?" - Waylon Jennings

Why a gun board?

I am wondering why a gun board interview? It is not required by Michigan. I sent in my paperwork and recieved mine in 6 weeks .....and I live in the dreaded Wayne County! hmmmmmmmm

In Clinton Co. I went to class on a saturday turned my info in on monday, got my cpl letter to go pick it up thursday 2 weeks later. So not even 3 weeks from start to finish. Had some friends take the class with me it took over two months to get theirs in Eaton Co.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog View Post
    I am wondering why a gun board interview? It is not required by Michigan. I sent in my paperwork and recieved mine in 6 weeks .....and I live in the dreaded Wayne County! hmmmmmmmm
    Why?? Because, I assume the gun board members still get paid for this duty, which is no longer required with a shall issue system. I think it should have been done away with when they changed to shall-issue. Hopefully the SoS will get the CPL duties instead of the counties and then the gun boards can be eliminated too. My understanding is the meeting is mostly a dog and pony show where they ask everyone why they need a CPL and everyone gives the exact same answer of 'personal protection'.

Trip Report coming in a few hours when I get back home. I plan to record the meeting with my voice recorder.

Got it.

I forgot to record the meeting but it was a joke anyways. It's a dog n pony show so those on the board can keep collecting the extra pay, that I assume they get for being there, IMO.

Tested it out with a stroll thru Meijer on Groessbeck for ammo but they didnt have any 45 and almost no 9mm so I didnt bother. Also ran into Walgreens at 10 mile & Gratiot for a few Coke Zero's in the fancy new bottles. The pop wouldn't ring up so the elderly female cashier had to call over her supervisor (who was 20' away on my strong side) and another employee tagged along. No one said anything about the gun and I didn't notice any of them pay it much mind.
    Last edited by fozzy71; 07-09-2010 at 02:30 PM.

like sprinklerguy says. they have EXACTLY 45 days to approve or deny your license, once the fingerprint card is back. find out the day your finger print card comes back and the NEXT day go in and ask where you license is, the law underscore......LAW says they must approve or deny within 45 days of the return of the fingerprint card. this happened to me. the clerk said it would take 5 months before i got my license in the mail. i went in with a copy of the law and the clerk sent me up to the gun board a second time i sat down i the little stuffy room they had and before i was called up the a person in the clerks office called me out into the hall an said to come in the next day to pick up my license. . heres my guess as to what is going on, they are swamped with license requests, and instead of doing the smart thing....hire a person to handle the extra work, they instead do the easy thing, make us/you wait. its BS i agree but its the done thing look at wayne county oakland county and some of the big counties similar to macomb, they all have huge backlogs of CPL requests, and instead of doing the smart thing, hire a few temps to help with the heat, they do the easy thing and guess what! long wait times! however wayne or at least detroit has i believe hired a person just to work on the CPL mailing issue, this after a gentleman was arrested detained and eventually released because DPD pulled him over, and the gentleman disclosed he had a CPL, showed his DL and CPL and was ARRESSTED, FOR NOT HAVEING A CPL! long story short, he did have a cpl it was mailed to him a week before he was stopped, but it wasn't put into the LEIN network by the clerks office because the person who did that quit. i have the article here somewhere but it was on the late night news. the persons family even brought in the LETTER FROM THE CLERKS office and showed DPD, DPDs response was "its a fake" WTF! he was released hours later, without an apology! of any kind. and he said he wasn't interested in a law suit just that he didn't want it to happen to someone else. it was a 2 part story on 2 seperate night with i think it was channel 4 actually getting to interview someone at the wayne county clerks office. good story i'll post it the second i find it in my PC its a doozy!
    shaun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast