• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

12 week wait for CPL in Macomb County

SlowDog

Why a gun board?

I am wondering why a gun board interview? It is not required by Michigan. I sent in my paperwork and recieved mine in 6 weeks .....and I live in the dreaded Wayne County! hmmmmmmmm

WilDChilD

In Clinton Co. I went to class on a saturday turned my info in on monday, got my cpl letter to go pick it up thursday 2 weeks later. So not even 3 weeks from start to finish. Had some friends take the class with me it took over two months to get theirs in Eaton Co.

fozzy71

I am wondering why a gun board interview? It is not required by Michigan. I sent in my paperwork and recieved mine in 6 weeks .....and I live in the dreaded Wayne County! hmmmmmmmm

Why?? Because, I assume the gun board members still get paid for this duty, which is no longer required with a shall issue system. I think it should have been done away with when they changed to shall-issue. Hopefully the SoS will get the CPL duties instead of the counties and then the gun boards can be eliminated too. My understanding is the meeting is mostly a dog and pony show where they ask everyone why they need a CPL and everyone gives the exact same answer of 'personal protection'.

Trip Report coming in a few hours when I get back home. I plan to record the meeting with my voice recorder. ;)

fozzy71

Got it. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I forgot to record the meeting but it was a joke anyways. It's a dog n pony show so those on the board can keep collecting the extra pay, that I assume they get for being there, IMO.

Tested it out with a stroll thru Meijer on Groessbeck for ammo but they didnt have any 45 and almost no 9mm so I didnt bother. Also ran into Walgreens at 10 mile & Gratiot for a few Coke Zero's in the fancy new bottles. The pop wouldn't ring up so the elderly female cashier had to call over her supervisor (who was 20' away on my strong side) and another employee tagged along. No one said anything about the gun and I didn't notice any of them pay it much mind.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

like sprinklerguy says. they have EXACTLY 45 days to approve or deny your license, once the fingerprint card is back. find out the day your finger print card comes back and the NEXT day go in and ask where you license is, the law underscore......LAW says they must approve or deny within 45 days of the return of the fingerprint card. this happened to me. the clerk said it would take 5 months before i got my license in the mail. i went in with a copy of the law and the clerk sent me up to the gun board a second time i sat down i the little stuffy room they had and before i was called up the a person in the clerks office called me out into the hall an said to come in the next day to pick up my license. . heres my guess as to what is going on, they are swamped with license requests, and instead of doing the smart thing....hire a person to handle the extra work, they instead do the easy thing, make us/you wait. its BS i agree but its the done thing look at wayne county oakland county and some of the big counties similar to macomb, they all have huge backlogs of CPL requests, and instead of doing the smart thing, hire a few temps to help with the heat, they do the easy thing and guess what! long wait times! however wayne or at least detroit has i believe hired a person just to work on the CPL mailing issue, this after a gentleman was arrested detained and eventually released because DPD pulled him over, and the gentleman disclosed he had a CPL, showed his DL and CPL and was ARRESSTED, FOR NOT HAVEING A CPL! long story short, he did have a cpl it was mailed to him a week before he was stopped, but it wasn't put into the LEIN network by the clerks office because the person who did that quit. i have the article here somewhere but it was on the late night news. the persons family even brought in the LETTER FROM THE CLERKS office and showed DPD, DPDs response was "its a fake" WTF! he was released hours later, without an apology! of any kind. and he said he wasn't interested in a law suit just that he didn't want it to happen to someone else. it was a 2 part story on 2 seperate night with i think it was channel 4 actually getting to interview someone at the wayne county clerks office. good story i'll post it the second i find it in my PC its a doozy!
shaun

NHCGRPR45

like sprinklerguy says. they have EXACTLY 45 days to approve or deny your license, once the fingerprint card is back. find out the day your finger print card comes back and the NEXT day go in and ask where you license is, shaun[/QUO i didn't get that quite right you should go in on the 46th day and demand to know where your license is. sorry