• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

allow you to take your gun to work

have gun will travel

imported post

maybe this can become law to where your employer can not tell you no handgun on company property it does not make sense to be able to open carry or conceal carry but when you have to go to work you will leave your weapon at home because property mean the parking lot to so no weapon in your car either

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

have gun will travel wrote:
maybe this can become law to where your employer can not tell you no handgun on company property it does not make sense to be able to open carry or conceal carry but when you have to go to work you will leave your weapon at home because property mean the parking lot to so no weapon in your car either
You can't open carry in Texas...

M

McX

imported post

wouldn't company property be considered private property, so in your state you can open or conceal with an ok from the property owner?

have gun will travel

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
As much as it pains me to say it. Property law has to trump it. Otherwise where does it stop? What if I want to come to work in the nude to express my freedom of speech.

Don't get me wrong I think it is terrible being disarmed by your employer. Maybe if the economy was better you could just find a better job where the paper pusher doesn't take away to defend yourself.

What we need is a change of prospective in the country as a whole. So owners encourage their employees to arm themselves and protect not only themselves but their place of buisness.

Maybe when we get open carry and the less informed members of our socicity see that it actuality makes our world a better place we could see changes in policy.
Texas Legislature Considering New ‘Bring Your Gun To Work’ Bill
by David Barron and Nelsy Gomez March 2009
Texas State Senator Glenn Hegar has proposed a new bill that would limit Texas employers’ rights to prohibit guns in the workplace. While the proposed bill would not necessarily allow an employee to carry a licensed firearm while at work, it would allow the employee to store the firearm in their vehicle in a parking lot, garage or parking area. Specifically, Senate Bill 730 would restrict a public or private employer’s right to prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun from keeping a legal firearm in a locked, privately owned vehicle in an employer-controlled parking lot or garage. If the bill is passed, employees can begin taking their guns to work as soon as September 1, 2009, without facing the risk of being terminated for doing so. The law would also create a new cause of action for employees who are terminated for seeking to store a firearm in compliance with the statute.
The proposed bill comes packed with a number of significant exceptions that would allow an employer to retain some discretion regarding firearms on its property. For example, an employer could implement and enforce a policy requiring that a firearm or ammunition be kept hidden from plain view, or kept in a case or container located in the vehicle. Another provision of the proposed bill would allow an employer to prohibit an employee from transporting or maintaining a firearm if the parking area is restricted from general public access by way of a fence, gate, or other means, and if the employer provides an alternative location on the employer’s property where the firearm can be stored. According to the proposed bill, the employer would also have the option of providing an alternative parking area for those employees with firearms, if the area is still reasonably close to the main parking areas provided to other employees. Most importantly, employers could still prohibit an employee from carrying a firearm on business premises and prohibit storage of a firearm in a company owned or leased vehicle.
A number of other states, including Georgia, Florida, and Louisiana, have already enacted statutes similar to the bill proposed by Senator Hegar, but not without facing much criticism from employers. A similar law in Oklahoma also recently survived legal I think this bill is still trying to be pass like the open carry bill they should attach these two bill together

have gun will travel

imported post

and for everyone that thinking that their car will be broken in to and weapon stolen and use in a crime your weapon can be stolen from your home or your car could be taken and be use to kill people with to i would like to be able to open carry or conceal my handgun everywhere i go and when open carry become legal in texas i think we should be able to carry our handgun to work and i mean not just leaving lock in my car which i know this law has not pass yet either but with me on my hip or conceal after all i am law abiding citizen the criminal are going to carry there weapon everywhere so i should be able to do the same legally this is all nonsense about where you can carry and where you cannot carry

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

The government ALREADY is telling people (and has been for decades) what they can or cannot do with their own personal property/business/real estate: To whom they must rent, who they must hire, what they can not do on their property because of some "endangered" insect, snail, fish or bird -- to hell with all that BS (to hell with "endangered species," let them become extinct)! People should be free to do what they want, hire (or not) who they want, rent (or not) to whom they want...and for WHATEVERreason, even if it's so-called "discriminatory."

After all, it's THEIR property, let them do as they wish. But they can't, can they.

So why not tell business/property owners -- ESPECIALLY if they refuse to protect employees/patrons at the business/school/workplace yet refuse same the right to protect THEMSLEVES while at work -- thatthey MUST allow citizens to do so or business/proptety owners WILL be criminally and civilly sued out of existence for anything that happens to said employees/patrons, especially death? THAT seems fair, doesn't it. Aren't people's live worth more than some damn beetle, snail, fish or whatever? Sure SHOULD be. But presently it's not, is it.

Seems to me like a HELL of a lot better reason for tellingpeople what to do with their property than the other crap already in place now.

-- John D.

have gun will travel

imported post

I have paid for my conceal carry permit when open carry is pass i don 't know if a fee will be tack on for that either way i am a law abiding citizen and just like your police officer you let come into your stores restaurant and school with there gun once again criminal are not going to worried about your sign when they come to rob you i think with enough people carry conceal or open and able to enter these establishment with out fear of being arrested i think this would cut down on crime after all the police is not every where so if this bill pass to open carry i don 't want to see no restrictions on it i would like carry every where and if needed to prevent a crime from happening and to save a life i might not have time to go too my car and get my handgun

have gun will travel

imported post

most of these company trust police officer so they should trust law abiding citizen for we are not there to do them harm if any thing there company would be more protected i don 't know if you own a business or not but you are starting to sound you want to take your weapon every where but will not allow other to carry in your business i know property owner have the right to say no but when the law change and you see other company going with the flow like star buck coffee then it time to stop the nonsense and give it a shot if you see a problem try to work it out before just out right saying no gun allow in my business and yes i can shop else where but trust me there will be a lot of other people right behind me taken there business else where when this happen i for one would not return to your business because now they are willing to allow you to carry in there establishment because they are losing money yes money will play a big part in all of this for when they start to lose they will change there tune so you might as well march to the beat of the band for this is a big band and we have plenty of tune all meaning the same thing arm yourself protect yourself carry at all time

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I've been saying this for years: When are stupid, short-sighted, shallow "thinking" business/corporation people going tograsp that having an armed citizen(s) on their property is like having a FREE ARMED SECURITY GUARD(s) on staff ("part-time," temporary and erratic as it may be)? The greedy "want to make money off people (customers/employees) but don't want t protect them" (or pay ANYTHING out they don't HAVE to) business/corporation bean-counters should JUMP at the chance to have "FREE SECURITY" on their property -- even if temporary and erratic (which is still better than none at all, ever) -- but not have to PAY for it, yes?

Does it get any better than that? I don't think so, yet the"no guns" policies persist.

So I recommend civil "wrongful death" or "criminal negligence" lawsuits EVERYTIME some employee/customer gets shot or killed (or worse) until things change...bean-counters (and stockholders, if any) will HAVE to take notice as it hurts their bottom line.

As I also have said for years, lots of people have to be FORCED to do the right thing, which is one big reason we need laws/courts. So let's USE THEMagainst such cowardly, irresponsible businesses/employers.

As for choosing not to shop somewhere, even if ALL gun-carriers boycotted some anti-gun business, there'd not be enough of them to make any impact whatsoever as MOST PEOPLE will never carry (CC or OC) even if the law allows it!For decades now CC statistics have shown only about 3% of people qualified to carry ever do so (free/unpermitted OC is probaby MUCH LESSfor other reasons). So the way an impact CAN be made on "problem businesses" is to take money AWAY from them big time --via a civil lawsuit every timesomeone is shot/killed (or worse).

Besides, sometimes you pretty much have to patronize a problem businesses if there aren't viableOTHER choices (like the small island town I live in).

Regardless, the civil suit seem to me the best (and pefectly legal) way to deal with businees/corporations/employers who refuse to provide security yet also refuse to let people protect themselves.

-- John D.

jsimmons

imported post

I work on a military installation, and can't carry (even a loaded magazine) onto the base - at all. This means that I have to leave my pistol at home.

It sucks that the government can decided when the constitution applies and when it doesn't.

txn4opencarry

imported post

what they dont know ,dont hurt them , never leave home without it :cool: ( not worried abouttrouble at the workplace , just the drive back and forth to south dallas that concerns me ):quirky