• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

dogs

gunman

imported post

well i just defended myself against a big dog,the police and animal control show up no problem at all the police never even asked for id or anything just took a statement from me wrote the owner a ticket because his dog was running loose and that was the end of it i finished my walk and went home .

Big Boy

imported post

This is rather vague. You had to shoot the dog? What happened?

gunman

imported post

yes i had to shoot the dog,he came up on me from behind i turned around and he stopped but every time i tried to walk away he would come at me again,so i called 911 and while on the phone with them i told them that i was armed and already had my gun drawn.then i had to shoot before the officers arrived,i had wittneses there were other people aroundthe officer said i did the right thing,there have been complaints about the dog in the past.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

gunman wrote:
well i just defended myself against a big dog,the police and animal control show up no problem at all the police never even asked for id or anything just took a statement from me wrote the owner a ticket because his dog was running loose and that was the end of it i finished my walk and went home .
gunman wrote:
yes i had to shoot the dog,he came up on me from behind i turned around and he stopped but every time i tried to walk away he would come at me again,so i called 911 and while on the phone with them i told them that i was armed and already had my gun drawn.then i had to shoot before the officers arrived,i had wittneses there were other people aroundthe officer said i did the right thing,there have been complaints about the dog in the past.
You made a 911 call, shot(s) fired, dog shot/killed (?). right so far?

Officers arrive, take report and do NOT require you to show identification or anything else? They just ticket the dog owner and leave and you continue your walk?

No investigation with typical WWWWW & H information? Discharge of a firearm in a residential area, but only you did the "right thing" because of prior "complaints?"

Not saying that defending oneself from a dog attack is wrong or bad, but there are a few, teenie, tiny things that don't ring well for me.

Did it make the news? Typically a news report would read:
"Man Shoots Attacking Dog, Witness Says

Clay County Deputies Investigate Animal’s Death
"

Did you get a copy of the LE report?

Exactly in what city, date and time did this occur?

Questions - need answers.

Yata hey

gunman

imported post

dont know why they didnt ask,and it wasnt in a residential area it was on a walking trail the city put in,it is along side and goes around a conservation area in the city limits,you can even hunt there with a shotgun/bow only so that could be the reason i dont know

Festus_Hagen

imported post

What exactly was this dog doing by "coming at you" when you turned around? Could you have stood there until the cops arrived? I dunno, but I would do anything I could to not shoot the dog unless I was in immediate danger. I wouldn't want "the man" in my life if I didn't have to.

cscitney87

imported post

I would do almost everything TO shoot the dog. This has been posted about a million times- you just CANNOT attempt to "guess" what a dog is going to do. As it approaches- you have extremely little time to figure out if you are going to get bitten or licked. If the dog is large enough to do some damage to you- and it's unleashed- and it's coming towards you; you should shoot every single time. Mind you; the dog will not know what the drawn pistol represents- so that's no defense.

Duh, now if the dog has a smile on his face and wagging his tail and you know it's your neighbors dog; and blah blah- there are exceptions- I'm talking about a strange dog or a new; unknown- dog.

How many of us need to be reminded that ANY breed of dog; with size; can latch onto your neck- rip it out- and leave you to bleed out in minutes without a voice box to scream. If you are knocked to the ground- the dog could even be smaller- if it's teeth sink into your wrist or neck or vital vein- you are at high risk.

cscitney87

imported post

I won't even go into Rabies- which is obviously a very very serious issue. Any canine can carry Rabies and you don't want to get nipped or bit first and find out later. Even a tiny dog can draw a little blood- any- with Rabies- and you are done for.

Shoot any unleashed dog that approaches you that you are unknowing of.

Festus_Hagen

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I would do almost everything TO shoot the dog.  This has been posted about a million times- you just CANNOT attempt to "guess" what a dog is going to do.  As it approaches- you have extremely little time to figure out if you are going to get bitten or licked.  If the dog is large enough to do some damage to you- and it's unleashed- and it's coming towards you; you should shoot every single time.  Mind you; the dog will not know what the drawn pistol represents- so that's no defense. 

Duh, now if the dog has a smile on his face and wagging his tail and you know it's your neighbors dog; and blah blah- there are exceptions- I'm talking about a strange dog or a new; unknown- dog.

How many of us need to be reminded that ANY breed of dog; with size; can latch onto your neck- rip it out- and leave you to bleed out in minutes without a voice box to scream.  If you are knocked to the ground- the dog could even be smaller- if it's teeth sink into your wrist or neck or vital vein- you are at high risk.
I'd hate for you to be walking by my house ......

cscitney87

imported post

I guess even if this wasn't a real incident and the OP cannot provide proof; I don't doubt that the police acted very casually about such a situation. This isn't a typical; dog is on my property so I shot it- it was a black and white case of Unknown Dog approaching a man and he acted in self defense. It's not a casual situation by any means- but it's a simple open and shut case. There's a protective statue in almost every single city/town/area in the country- that says you don't need proof or need a bite mark or need witnesses or shit- you can shoot the dog if you are approached and you don't know the dog. The law recognizes you just CANNOT take a risk and let the dog get close enough to you. Cops recognize this too and probably show up to many "dog barking" incidents only to secretly wish someone would put the dog down Old School.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I would do almost everything TO shoot the dog. This has been posted about a million times- you just CANNOT attempt to "guess" what a dog is going to do. As it approaches- you have extremely little time to figure out if you are going to get bitten or licked. If the dog is large enough to do some damage to you- and it's unleashed- and it's coming towards you; you should shoot every single time. Mind you; the dog will not know what the drawn pistol represents- so that's no defense.

How many of us need to be reminded that ANY breed of dog; with size; can latch onto your neck- rip it out- and leave you to bleed out in minutes without a voice box to scream. If you are knocked to the ground- the dog could even be smaller- if it's teeth sink into your wrist or neck or vital vein- you are at high risk.
There is so much wrong with this - it is hard to tell where to begin.

Nothing in the OP or your reply indicates that the dog was acting aggressively, growling, hackles raised. Just that he was there, "coming towards you." Maybe he wanted to say hello and get a pet on the head - but you say, "I would do almost everything TO shoot the dog" and "you should shoot every single time"

Your views are NOT representative of most here - we encourage and are capable of cognitive thought and deductive reasoning. We prefer Not using our defensive tools. Deadly force is a last option - not our first.

Don't even go with the "yes, but...." routine. Final grade D-

Yata hey

Festus_Hagen

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
I would do almost everything TO shoot the dog.  This has been posted about a million times- you just CANNOT attempt to "guess" what a dog is going to do.  As it approaches- you have extremely little time to figure out if you are going to get bitten or licked.  If the dog is large enough to do some damage to you- and it's unleashed- and it's coming towards you; you should shoot every single time.  Mind you; the dog will not know what the drawn pistol represents- so that's no defense. 

How many of us need to be reminded that ANY breed of dog; with size; can latch onto your neck- rip it out- and leave you to bleed out in minutes without a voice box to scream.  If you are knocked to the ground- the dog could even be smaller- if it's teeth sink into your wrist or neck or vital vein- you are at high risk.
There is so much wrong with this - it is hard to tell where to begin.

Nothing in the OP or your reply indicates that the dog was acting aggressively, growling, hackles raised.  Just that he was there, "coming towards you."  Maybe he wanted to say hello and get a pet on the head - but you say, "I would do almost everything TO shoot the dog" and "you should shoot every single time" 

Your views are NOT representative of most here - we encourage and are capable of cognitive thought and deductive reasoning.  We prefer Not using our defensive tools.  Deadly force is a last option - not our first.

Don't even go with the "yes, but...." routine.  Final grade D-

Yata hey

I feel the same way, but people like that you just can't get through to. I do NOT want to be associated with a "RAMBO" type that thinks the way he does. It makes all gun owners look bad.

And you don't mess with my dog. Ever.

cscitney87

imported post

lol Sooo serious...

Listen I am a pet owner and have two canines. I'm not "Rambo" so that's cool to insinuate I am immature while also insinuating that I am a "Rambo" type character.

Back to the topic; It's obvious that you are attached to the whole "What if it just wants a pat on the head?" thing. That's fine. I get it- I understand.

What if the dog just wants a pat on the head. Just wants a lick. "You just want to go around shooting dogs."

I've said before; in previous posts of this type; I would understand if You or any stranger actually killed my dogs when my dogs approach them unleashed. There are leash laws in every city; every area; except specifically designated areas- with signs-

This is because canines are unpredictable, in nature, to strangers with whom the canines has not had the pleasure of meeting.

Canines are also trained; some for the better, some for the worse; and react similarly to their owner.

Like I said I own two dogs myself. I get it. Don't shoot my dog or else! That's the attitude around here. Nobody's been bit in the face by an otherwise "nice" looking dog. Nobody's had their neck ripped out by that nice guy's beautiful boxer that lives down the block.

Nobody's had their child attacked by a neighbors dog, nice or not? Nobody's had their OWN dog attacked by an otherwise Nice dog?

Duh! Don't come in here with that "Nice dogs don't do bad things" attitude. I will shoot your dog with my pistol and the cops will NOT prosecute me and I will have immunity from civil suite in my area, in my state, in this country- a human being's life is CERTAINLY held high above the life of a canines. If I shoot the dog because it attacked me, came at me, showed it's teeth, growled, I am good to go 100% and if the owner feels like getting justice- the owner will be prosecuted.

Yata Hey*

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
l If I shoot the dog because it attacked me, came at me, showed it's teeth, growled, I am good to go 100% and if the owner feels like getting justice- the owner will be prosecuted.

Yata Hey*
You just reversed yourself 180 degrees - that is the complete opposite of what you said before.

Now you espouse self-defense. Previously you described an unwarranted, preemptive strike based on nothing in evidence.

The devil is in the details, sir.

Yata hey

cscitney87

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
l If I shoot the dog because it attacked me, came at me, showed it's teeth, growled, I am good to go 100% and if the owner feels like getting justice- the owner will be prosecuted.

Yata Hey*
You just reversed yourself 180 degrees - that is the complete opposite of what you said before.

Now you espouse self-defense. Previously you described an unwarranted, preemptive strike based on nothing in evidence.

The devil is in the details, sir.

Yata hey
You Sir, are wrong. My statement was obviously in response to the Original Posters situation

"yes i had to shoot the dog,he came up on me from behind i turned around and he stopped but every time i tried to walk away he would come at me again,so i called 911"

Duh! Not unwarranted! Duh! Not a pre-emptive strike, Duh! One smart cookie..

cscitney87

imported post

But with 8000+ posts, a donation, and a cool special Signature;

You will probably be to proud to apologize to me. Or suggest that you do not owe me anything at all; even though you called me out and I proved you wrong. I did no 180, Sir.

But hey you could surprise me.

Yata Hey

imported post

All i can say is if you don't want the SOB killed then keep him on a leash or in a pen. I have been bitten by more thanone little Foo Foo that was running loose and wouldn't bite anyone according to the owner. But before I would shoot I would use pepper spray as that does wonders for changing a dogs attitude.