• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC today!

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

Hello everybody,

I’m mostly new here and glad to join the OC crowd. I live in Cowlitz County and was worried about venturing out before that nonsense gets worked out in Vancouver. But it happens that I got pulled over for doing seven over in Longview and had a chance to talk to a Longview officer. He was a young guy and very friendly. He didn’t give me a ticket and he told me very quickly and openly that “Washington is a open carry state. But don’t be surprised if a cop comes over to check you out.”

So with that I thought it would be fitting to venture over to Starbucks for my first OC outing. Like others have said before, most people don’t even notice the hand cannon on your side. It was a nonevent full day of going about my business.

Here is a pic. of me and my Kimber compact. Macro was on so the gun looks crazy big in the picture.

Jayd1981

imported post

Nice looking 1911. If you act normally, (just about) everyone else will also. I'm always glad to hear more people carrying. I would look at a retention holser also, but that is just what I prefer.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

I found the forbusholster on amazon.com for $23. It's a Paddle holster andI have to say it is comfortable and feels good when I hop in the car with the gun on.

BTW. I grew up in Richland in the 70s and 80s on Birch st. How is the old dust bowl?;)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the wonderful world of OC.

Be polite, be courteous, be professional, be kind and be nice. If you do and use any opportunity to educate both LEO and regular folks then all will be good.

Jayd1981

imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
BTW. I grew up in Richland in the 70s and 80s on Birch st. How is the old dust bowl?;)

Things are pretty well here. We have been pretty sheltered from the depression due to Hanford out here. Plus being this far away from seattle I don't get hassled for OC'ing.

I've got a few friends that use the fobus paddle holsters. I've been sold on the blackhawk serpa's ever since I saw them though.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

It's dumb but Forbus had me when they put "Kimber" on the side of the holster. At first I thought it was retarded. When I would try to Draw, the whole holster would pullout of my pants. It took time to learn the trick and now the draw is super fast with one clean motion.

John Hardin

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of OC.

Be polite, be courteous, be professional, be kind and be nice. If you do and use any opportunity to educate both LEO and regular folks then all will be good.
What gogo said, plus: get and carry a digital voice recorder, and carry some pamphlets (see sticky articles) to help educate others. ;)

Aryk45XD

imported post

Welcome to the forum. +1 on the digital recorder. I really should carry mine more when I'm out. The pamphlets help too for those who are curious or don't know the laws and want to "educate" you on things they don't know about, but have a strong opinion on. I've been spreading mine out quite a bit.
Be safe and courteous out there.

Batousaii

imported post

Welcome aboard, i admit it caught my eye, and i was wondering if you were a really small build, or what kind of artillery you were carrying - hehe, then i read it and seen about having macro on, nice looking piece btw.

:p

Glad you joined us
;)Bat

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

I'm 183lbs with a 36in waist but in the photo I look like I'm 135lb hiding behind that 4in barrel compact 1911. The camera was maybe 5 inches away. Probably should have used a different photo:?

Stretch

imported post

Welcome to the forum.

BTW, the dust bowl is just fine! If you haven't been over here in a while, you probably wouldn't believe the growth!

I was a born/raised Vancouver-ite myself, and had enough of the rain.