• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I had a knife pulled on me last night

younggun20

imported post

I went out to dinner last night with my family and decided not to carry, with some of the family members around I panned on having a drink or two.

Well after we were through with dinner I decided to run down the block and get the car while my wife stayed behind with our daughter because of the cold wind. As I was walking down the street a gentleman approached me and asked if i would like my windows cleaned. I said No thank you and continued to walk. He ran in front of me pulled a knife and demanded my wallet. I told him to get lost and he lunged at me with the knife, I jumped back and swatted his arm away. He ran through a construction site and I decided it was smarter not to give chase. After a minute or two of collecting my thoughts I got into the car and picked up my wife and daughter.

Later I got home and found my shirt had a cut in it and i had a little cut on my chest, Nothing serious.

Now two thoughts run through my head.
First If I was carrying I would of more than likely pulled, and if he lunged at me I may have shot. I may have ended someones life. Its an eerie thought!
Second From now on my side arm will always be on my hip where it belongs

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

younggun20 wrote:
I went out to dinner last night with my family and decided not to carry, with some of the family members around I panned on having a drink or two.

Well after we were through with dinner I decided to run down the block and get the car while my wife stayed behind with our daughter because of the cold wind. As I was walking down the street a gentleman approached me and asked if i would like my windows cleaned. I said No thank you and continued to walk. He ran in front of me pulled a knife and demanded my wallet. I told him to get lost and he lunged at me with the knife, I jumped back and swatted his arm away. He ran through a construction site and I decided it was smarter not to give chase. After a minute or two of collecting my thoughts I got into the car and picked up my wife and daughter.

Later I got home and found my shirt had a cut in it and i had a little cut on my chest, Nothing serious.

Now two thoughts run through my head.
First If I was carrying I would of more than likely pulled, and if he lunged at me I may have shot. I may have ended someones life. Its an eerie thought!
Second From now on my side arm will always be on my hip where it belongs

Another earie thought is that this criminal may end his next victems life, because you weren't healed when he attacked you.

The way I look at it, criminals should know the risk they take. If something goes wrong for them during the commission of their criminal activity, that's just tough.

younggun20

imported post

No, No report. All I could say was a white male in grey hoodie. Didnt pay much attention to him until he pulled the knife and after that my focus was on the knife and where it was going.

To be honest the thought of another victim never came to mind until you mentioned it.

BTW this happened in Ogden at the Junction.

Rottie

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
No, No report.
Younggun20 you really should have reported this. The nature of the crime is such that it would have been given priority over other smaller items and might have ended in a successful apprehension of this subject. I am sure that I am not telling you anything that in hindsight you have already figured out. Aside from apprehension reporting it does two things. One it provides data that is used in tracking crimes, and two it provides credibility to your claim. To be very clear, Im not calling BS to your story. Glad you were not hurt!

Edit: corrected spelling.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Should have been reported as quickly as possible. A containment would have been set up and a ATL would have been broadcast.

The person will continue until he is caught and the out come might be worse next time.

Glad your safe and your family is okay.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

For get the report what about the cut to you have? Haveyou got it checked it out? You might need a shot from the Doctor, or it could get infected?

That was more then likely the first and last time this will ever happen to you. Lesson to me from your story is always carry even on thosequick runs to a friends house, or return a video. You never knowwhen the bad guy willshow up.

You said it was cold, was your coatzipped up? How hard would have it been to get to your gun?Did you create space from him once he showed you the knive? Did you naturally reach for your gun?

younggun20

imported post

Rottie wrote:
younggun20 wrote:
No, No report.
Younggun20 you really should have reported this. The nature of the crime is such that it would have been given priority over other smaller items and might have ended in a successful apprehension of this subject. I am sure that I am not telling you anything that in hindsight you have already figured out. Aside from apprehension reporting it does two things. One it provides data that is used in tracking crimes, and two it provides credibility to your claim. To be very clear, Im not calling BS to your story. Glad you were not hurt!

Edit: corrected spelling.
I called into the local PD and reported what happened, they said not much they can do seeing as it has been a day or two. They asked for permission to contact me with further questions. Is that normal? The gentleman I spoke to said he has heard of no other reports of similar incident in that area on sat. Said it may have been a crime of opportunity. Guess I look like i'll give in..

For get the report what about the cut to you have? Have you got it checked it out? You might need a shot from the Doctor, or it could get infected?
It was just a little knick, recently lost job and insurance. So it was neosporin and a band aid for me.

You said it was cold, was your coat zipped up? How hard would have it been to get to your gun? Did you create space from him once he showed you the knive? Did you naturally reach for your gun?
I didn't have jacket on, I had been out all day and just meet up for dinner. When I carry and have to wear a coat I use my fobus holster and Virginia tuck the jacket. I think the draw would have been fairly easy, i practiced hundreds of times over the winter deciding what jacket was easiest to wear. As soon as I seen the knife I did back up about arms length, to be honest i dont even think i thought about reaching for my hip. He lunged forward and I sort of threw my lower body back and arched over the knife. Stupid move but at the time hell it worked.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

younggun20 wrote:
If the knife of an unknown person has broken your skin, you need to get yourself to a doctor for some tests. Especially if the person on the other end of the knife is likely to have been a drug user or other person at high risk for certain illnesses.

Fortunately, AIDS/HIV are very fragile viruses outside the body so odds of contracting either of those from a superficial scratch are minimal.

Unfortunately, Hep C is a very durable virus outside the body and will survive a very long time on all kinds of surfaces. Again, odds are fairly low, but you should get tested for peace of mind.

You should also consider this incident as roughly equal to a "dirty needle stick" in terms of not donating blood for the next 12 months, just in case.

And you really should go ahead and file a police report. Even though it won't likely result in them catching the guy, it could help put him away for longer if they ever do catch him. Or, it could act as evidence of his violent intent should one of your fellow gun carriers have need to actually shoot the guy.

I'm glad you are ok. All the best.

Charles

scorpioajr

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
.....decided not to carry....
I'm glad everything worked itself out. This could have gone a different way. This is why whenever i think about carrying when I'm not, I'll turn around and grab my piece. Scary, scary, scary bro!

I hope I never find myself in that situation.

UtahJarhead

imported post

k, scary much? Where exactly were you knifed? Not your body location, but where at the Junction? Parking Garage, etc...

I go there a lot, sometimes to eat at Iggy's, sometimes for a movie.

younggun20

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
k, scary much? Where exactly were you knifed? Not your body location, but where at the Junction? Parking Garage, etc...

It was down the little street in front in between the movies and Sanora Grill. Down by subway.

BILLYBADBOY

imported post

And what time were your there? Busy part of town, I bet there are pleanty of cameras up. Dude you got sliced at with a knife, That is a serious aggrivated crime. I bet the cops would be all over that!

younggun20

imported post

It was about 9:30. I called and reported what happened and the person I spoke to said if they found anything they would be in contact

caverat

imported post

OMG I wonder if this is the same guy my GF had a run in with last night. Same description & location as well as MO. I ripped her a new one for even talking to him and not having her pepper spray in hand as soon as she noticed him!!
She had her 12 year old son with her sounds like he may have been her saving grace. Unfortunately she refuses to carry a gun :banghead: I bought her the pepper spray and had to beg her to carry that.:(

caverat

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
UtahJarhead wrote:
k, scary much?  Where exactly were you knifed?  Not your body location, but where at the Junction?  Parking Garage, etc...

It was down the little street in front in between the movies and Sanora Grill. Down by subway.
MMMMM yep my GF was on the back side of subway at around the same time of day.:cuss: I hate these worthless slime balls summer is coming and we will be getting alot more of the transit trash staying the summer now :uhoh:

LovesHisXD45

imported post

caverat wrote:
OMG I wonder if this is the same guy my GF had a run in with last night. Same description & location as well as MO. I ripped her a new one for even talking to him and not having her pepper spray in hand as soon as she noticed him!!
She had her 12 year old son with her sounds like he may have been her saving grace. Unfortunately she refuses to carry a gun :banghead: I bought her the pepper spray and had to beg her to carry that.:(
Dude. That's jacked up. :( She needs to protect herself. Scary man! I hope she will come around some day. Even carrying a little 38 revolver would be better than pepper spray. Bad guys run from guns, especially if a woman pulls one on em.

Kevin

younggun20

imported post

caverat wrote:
I would show her this thread maybe this would change her mind.

M

McX

imported post

this is deserving of the classic; don't you hate when someone brings a knife to a gun fight. bad joke.