Thread: Bolt assemblies for Stevens rifle and shotgun

Post imported post

So, I know these things aren't worth much, but the highest bid for the pair was $15. I said I'd bump the bid to $20 and nobody else bid so I won. I figured, for $20, even if they're not great rifles I can use the stocks at least.

For that $20 I came home with a Stevens model 57 single shot 20 gauge bolt action and a Stevens model 15-a single shot 22 cal bolt action.

The bolt is missing on the 22 cal, and the bolt action is broke on the 20 gauge. What I was originally thinking was I could just replace the bolts on both and call it done (still a possibility). But, then the mind started wandering...

I'm wondering if there are parts out there that I can modify these (all wood) stocks to create something even better. Is there a way I can use these stocks and barrels with some after market equipment and make them semi-auto or at least bolt action with clips? If not, replacement parts would be fine for these $10 guns.

I'd like info on how to find replacement parts, and info on parts that I could use to build something even more creative. I like tinkering with stuff and building things. A gun is one thing I haven't built yet. Thanks!

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

You bought 2 parts guns. You will likely have to buy 2 more to make 2 good guns as the parts you need are not easily found.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

Try Numrich Gun Parts Corp.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=4405

That's the .22, but I don't see a model 57 shotgun.

Post imported post

Went to my gunsmith with a similar problem, he pulled out his book found the rear sight assembly and the extractor for the bolt. Going to cost me more than I paid for the gun in 1964 but it will be fully functional again.

Why the fondness for a single shot 22. Well I really learned to shoot with that gun, conservative estimate was 500,000 rounds through it in the first 10 years.

Every new shooter I have trained that needed a gun learned on that gun. I have loaned it out for rifle team members would have something to practice with and I have competed with it against guys shooting match rifles and held my own.

Its not a super gun, the trigger is really lousy but I hit what I shoot at with it. Best yet it is light and easy to handle for my younger and smaller shooters. Gotta love a gun still as good if you don't count the scratches and minor surface rust as it was the day I bought it.

Don't part it out, bring the old darling back to life and make it sing again.
    Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

Post imported post

Ok, so I found all the parts I need to put the guns back to original functioning condition.

I think what I really want to do is make this my first custom builds. Any suggestions or ideas where I can get parts to make both of these semi auto set ups? I intend to modify the stocks myself (I'm pretty decent at wood working).

If it's not possible (or legal) than I'll just rebuild them. I just really feel like it would be great to build something myself. I just don't know where to get the actions/barrels/clips and such.

Post imported post

As far as I know, it's not really possible to change a single-shot bolt-action into a magazine-fed semi-auto.

You are talking about mutually exclusive design and build processes.