• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bolt assemblies for Stevens rifle and shotgun

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

So, I know these things aren't worth much, but the highest bid for the pair was $15. I said I'd bump the bid to $20 and nobody else bid so I won. I figured, for $20, even if they're not great rifles I can use the stocks at least.

For that $20 I came home with a Stevens model 57 single shot 20 gauge bolt action and a Stevens model 15-a single shot 22 cal bolt action.

The bolt is missing on the 22 cal, and the bolt action is broke on the 20 gauge. What I was originally thinking was I could just replace the bolts on both and call it done (still a possibility). But, then the mind started wandering...

I'm wondering if there are parts out there that I can modify these (all wood) stocks to create something even better. Is there a way I can use these stocks and barrels with some after market equipment and make them semi-auto or at least bolt action with clips? If not, replacement parts would be fine for these $10 guns.

I'd like info on how to find replacement parts, and info on parts that I could use to build something even more creative. I like tinkering with stuff and building things. A gun is one thing I haven't built yet. Thanks!

Old Grump

imported post

Went to my gunsmith with a similar problem, he pulled out his book found the rear sight assembly and the extractor for the bolt. Going to cost me more than I paid for the gun in 1964 but it will be fully functional again.

Why the fondness for a single shot 22. Well I really learned to shoot with that gun, conservative estimate was 500,000 rounds through it in the first 10 years.

Every new shooter I have trained that needed a gun learned on that gun. I have loaned it out for rifle team members would have something to practice with and I have competed with it against guys shooting match rifles and held my own.

Its not a super gun, the trigger is really lousy but I hit what I shoot at with it. Best yet it is light and easy to handle for my younger and smaller shooters. Gotta love a gun still as good if you don't count the scratches and minor surface rust as it was the day I bought it.

Don't part it out, bring the old darling back to life and make it sing again.

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Ok, so I found all the parts I need to put the guns back to original functioning condition.

I think what I really want to do is make this my first custom builds. Any suggestions or ideas where I can get parts to make both of these semi auto set ups? I intend to modify the stocks myself (I'm pretty decent at wood working).

If it's not possible (or legal) than I'll just rebuild them. I just really feel like it would be great to build something myself. I just don't know where to get the actions/barrels/clips and such.

PavePusher

imported post

As far as I know, it's not really possible to change a single-shot bolt-action into a magazine-fed semi-auto.

You are talking about mutually exclusive design and build processes.