• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Costco for open carry

NovaCop

imported post

tdbarge wrote:
He is a member of costco (I assume) so, as pointed out in the previously mentioned thread, he has rights by law. If it was "we search you or you don't get to come in" they might be in the wrong. Just something to look into, be it with corporate or other. That is all.

Also pretty sure Terry v. OH doesn't cover private employees whether they are granting entry or not. Thats an entirely different subject.
I believe his "costco member rights" would only apply civilly between him and costco and their contract. I'm sure they will have some clause that protects them in a situation like this. Small claims court only if they can prove they were in some way affected with some sort of injury (financial, mental, etc).

In my post, I did say that Constitutional rights don't apply (terry)... only used the phrase "terry pat" because that's in essence what they were trying to do, ha. I guess I should have used a different word to avoid confusion.

It's always interesting to see incidents involving private citizens or employees in search and seizure. Commonly, employees will search suspects, their friends, purses or bags, and at times, the cars of suspected shoplifters. After the officer arrives, all of that evidence is usable since the employee is not a government official. Makes me wonder why anyone would consent to such searches (but then again, criminals are dumb).

bohdi

imported post

rff21- Welcome to the board. Fun experience you had there. Some friendly advice to someone who is either new to the site, or has been browsing but not logged in as a member.

Try the search function -- BEFORE you go somewhere carrying, in the future. See if someone else has had a similar experience. It might save you some time. There is also a link (buried in the threads) for reporting OC friendly businesses in the USA. That way we know who likes us and who doesn't. That will save you from getting any flame responses from others. People here don't have problems helping you out as you will find, but it's nice if you have made an effort to look for information before you ask. The search button is up at the top of the page to the right of the banners.

Have fun.