• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does out of state cpl waive waiting period?

tai4de2

imported post

In Fla for vacation, have WA CPL (Fla and WA have reciprocity). The way I read Fla law, reciprocity does not mean that my WA CPL exempts me from the 3-day waiting period for handgun purchase from dealer in Fla; it simply means I can carry concealed in Fla and nothing more.

Anyone have any experience or insight that confirms my reading of Fla's laws?

JeepSeller

imported post

My understanding is that under federal law,youcan purchasehandguns in another statebased upon that state's purchase laws, however, thehandgun must be shipped back to a FFL dealer in your own state, and transferred to you via your home state law by that dealer. In other words, you can pay for it, but, you will not walk out the door with it. That gun shop will ship it to the dealer of your choice within your own state and they will in turn transfer the firearm to you based on your own state's laws. It's actually illegal to even to a personal FTF sell/transfer with someone who resides in another state.

Which means, you'll need your local dealer's info with you in all likelyhood and you'll get charged a few extra fees. Your recieving dealer will charge anywhere from $40 to $70 on average, the shipping dealer may charge as well a little extra to cover his shipping charges and, I think you may even get dinged twice on the phone call/background check on both ends, but, I"m not100% sure on that one.

Since it's being shipped, the waiting period doesn't come into play on the front end, but, when it gets to your dealer in your state, they will have to adhere to whatever laws your state has regarding wait periods and CCW licenses.

PT111

imported post

ABNinfantryman wrote:
Incorrect. He can transport it back on the plane if he follows TSA regs.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

You can carry a gun on a plane fine but you can't buy one in another state and walk out the door witha new handgunto get to the plane. Sales to out of state residents must be shipped to a dealer in the purchasers home state to be transferred to the purchaser there. If you are a Washington resident and purchase a handgun in FL (even a private purchase) it must be shipped by commercial carrier to a Washington FFL who will then transfer it to you.

If you already own the handgun or possibly purchase a longgun you can carry it back with you on the plane.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

PT111 wrote:
ABNinfantryman wrote:
Incorrect. He can transport it back on the plane if he follows TSA regs.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

You can carry a gun on a plane fine but you can't buy one in another state and walk out the door witha new handgunto get to the plane. Sales to out of state residents must be shipped to a dealer in the purchasers home state to be transferred to the purchaser there. If you are a Washington resident and purchase a handgun in FL (even a private purchase) it must be shipped by commercial carrier to a Washington FFL who will then transfer it to you.

If you already own the handgun or possibly purchase a longgun you can carry it back with you on the plane.
Didn't know the exception to pistols, thanks.

JeepSeller

imported post

ABNinfantryman, I WISH it were that simple. Well, not that dealing with the TSA is really simple I suppose. :lol: But, I travel a couple times a year to see family and I've come across GOOD deals a few times at out of state gun stores. But, by the time you add up all the extra fees, it's just not worth the hassle. You're talking upwards of $100 extra cost on averageif I recall correctly, it's been awhile since I tried.

I'm far from an expert on the subject though, I'm just going off what I was told at a couple dealers when I found something I wanted and they told me since I was out of state, that's how it had to go.

Yea, long guns are different from what I undestand. You can buy that and head out the door w/it. But, again, just remember that you're under whatever laws and regulations THAT particular state has regarding firearm sales. Just because it's a certain way in your state, doesn't nessicarily mean it's that way where you're going.