Thread: Anyone want to get together to OC in Arlington?

Post imported post

Are there any upcoming OC events in Arlington? If not, are there any other gun owners in Arlington who would like to meet up and actually have an OC event here? I'm thinking maybe an OC breakfast at Bob and Edith's, or maybe just a walk from Ballston to Courthouse and back while OCing. I'm thinking bring a video camera and audio recording device to record any police interaction. Any other ideas?

Ben
    Arlington, VA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
    Are there any upcoming OC events in Arlington? If not, are there any other gun owners in Arlington who would like to meet up and actually have an OC event here? I'm thinking maybe an OC breakfast at Bob and Edith's, or maybe just a walk from Ballston to Courthouse and back while OCing. I'm thinking bring a video camera and audio recording device to record any police interaction. Any other ideas?

Ben
    Arlington, VA
    Chances are you prolly wont have a whole lot of police interaction. However a dinner outside at Uncle Julios Rio Grande down in Ballston would surely be awesome. Ive carried there several times with no negatives encounters to speak of. Great service there too. There are a few other places up there that are tasty, but pretty small and a group of more than five might take up half the joint :P
    OC - Kimber Custom II - trijicon night sights, beveled mag well, and Wilson combat mags
    CC/OC Sig Sauer 229 - trijicon night sights

Post imported post

I'll pass.

I'm not saying that you might be out to provoke a reaction, but as stated in your other thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/41204.html we've been successful with our low-key approach of being regular folk who carry while going about our everyday lives (because this is who we are).

Personally, I'd rather not just walk around as a group for no reason other than to be potential bait for someone with a camera who is convinced that there will be a negative police encounter. We've progressed beyond where Michigan is regarding our 2A rights.

Call me crazy...

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
    I'm thinking bring a video camera and audio recording device
    Most OC'ers (that I know) carry Audio on them while OC. Northern Virginia is pretty used to OC now and there is usually not any interaction besides a smile and a nod. I would head to Ballston to go to Rio. We have also had dinners at Whitleys(?). Best thing to do is pick a date, time and place and post it.. otherwise you are herding cats.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Most OC'ers (that I know) carry Audio on them while OC. Northern Virginia is pretty used to OC now and there is usually not any interaction besides a smile and a nod. I would head to Ballston to go to Rio. We have also had dinners at Whitleys(?). Best thing to do is pick a date, time and place and post it.. otherwise you are herding cats.
    This. I organized a BBQ three years in a row between a bunch of forum people (in different states, no less!), and getting people to agree on a date/time/location is really REALLY hard.

Best to say "We're doing it here, we're doing it then."

Best to make sure it's after business hours, though.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:

Ben
    Arlington, VA
    Are you new to northern Virginia? The cops generally will not bother you at all, they are used to us. I agree with above posters that walking around with a group and camera is not needed. Just organize lunch or dinner somewhere, some members are sure to join. enjoy your freedom, this is not Kalifornia or Michigan.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:

Ben
    Arlington, VA
    I'd be interested in a dinner, or a weekend brunch or lunch.

El Paso Cafe is gun-friendly, and at lunch one could probably get seating for a large group; usually it's pretty tight in there, though.

I don't, however, want to walk around just to provoke a reaction. That's not why I carry. I carry in the course of my life, and enjoy meeting up with others who carry like that. Deliberately carrying a camera to record interactions is, in my opinion, an in-your-face tactic.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

we could make a weekend thing. As said before, a meet-up should be about like-minded individuals getting together and enjoying one anothers company while possibly educating others. No need to provoke.

Ben, pick a date and location and people will come.

personally, i'm liking tess' idea of mexican!!

Post imported post

O.K., we're on for an OC lunch in the heart of Ballston at Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Cafe on Fairfax Blvd. on Sat., April 24 at 12:30pm. I'll be the one with the video camera and the "Tyranny Response Team" t-shirt. Just kidding If you're interested, you can RSVP here:

http://www.meetup.com/Arlington-Open-Carry/