• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone want to get together to OC in Arlington?

Burlyman78

imported post

Are there any upcoming OC events in Arlington? If not, are there any other gun owners in Arlington who would like to meet up and actually have an OC event here? I'm thinking maybe an OC breakfast at Bob and Edith's, or maybe just a walk from Ballston to Courthouse and back while OCing. I'm thinking bring a video camera and audio recording device to record any police interaction. Any other ideas?

Ben
Arlington, VA

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
Are there any upcoming OC events in Arlington? If not, are there any other gun owners in Arlington who would like to meet up and actually have an OC event here? I'm thinking maybe an OC breakfast at Bob and Edith's, or maybe just a walk from Ballston to Courthouse and back while OCing. I'm thinking bring a video camera and audio recording device to record any police interaction. Any other ideas?

Ben
Arlington, VA
Chances are you prolly wont have a whole lot of police interaction. However a dinner outside at Uncle Julios Rio Grande down in Ballston would surely be awesome. Ive carried there several times with no negatives encounters to speak of. Great service there too. There are a few other places up there that are tasty, but pretty small and a group of more than five might take up half the joint :p

Glock27Bill

imported post

I'll pass.

I'm not saying that you might be out to provoke a reaction, but as stated in your other thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/41204.html we've been successful with our low-key approach of being regular folk who carry while going about our everyday lives (because this is who we are).

Personally, I'd rather not just walk around as a group for no reason other than to be potential bait for someone with a camera who is convinced that there will be a negative police encounter. We've progressed beyond where Michigan is regarding our 2A rights.

Call me crazy...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
I'm thinking bring a video camera and audio recording device
Most OC'ers (that I know) carry Audio on them while OC. Northern Virginia is pretty used to OC now and there is usually not any interaction besides a smile and a nod. I would head to Ballston to go to Rio. We have also had dinners at Whitleys(?). Best thing to do is pick a date, time and place and post it.. otherwise you are herding cats.

AbNo

imported post

ed wrote:
Most OC'ers (that I know) carry Audio on them while OC. Northern Virginia is pretty used to OC now and there is usually not any interaction besides a smile and a nod. I would head to Ballston to go to Rio. We have also had dinners at Whitleys(?). Best thing to do is pick a date, time and place and post it.. otherwise you are herding cats.
This. I organized a BBQ three years in a row between a bunch of forum people (in different states, no less!), and getting people to agree on a date/time/location is really REALLY hard.

Best to say "We're doing it here, we're doing it then."

Best to make sure it's after business hours, though. ;)

Jonesy

imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:

Ben
Arlington, VA
Are you new to northern Virginia? The cops generally will not bother you at all, they are used to us. I agree with above posters that walking around with a group and camera is not needed. Just organize lunch or dinner somewhere, some members are sure to join. enjoy your freedom, this is not Kalifornia or Michigan.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:

Ben
Arlington, VA
I'd be interested in a dinner, or a weekend brunch or lunch.

El Paso Cafe is gun-friendly, and at lunch one could probably get seating for a large group; usually it's pretty tight in there, though.

I don't, however, want to walk around just to provoke a reaction. That's not why I carry. I carry in the course of my life, and enjoy meeting up with others who carry like that. Deliberately carrying a camera to record interactions is, in my opinion, an in-your-face tactic.

Harper1227

imported post

we could make a weekend thing. As said before, a meet-up should be about like-minded individuals getting together and enjoying one anothers company while possibly educating others. No need to provoke.

Ben, pick a date and location and people will come.

personally, i'm liking tess' idea of mexican!!

Burlyman78

imported post

O.K., we're on for an OC lunch in the heart of Ballston at Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Cafe on Fairfax Blvd. on Sat., April 24 at 12:30pm. I'll be the one with the video camera and the "Tyranny Response Team" t-shirt. Just kidding:) If you're interested, you can RSVP here:

http://www.meetup.com/Arlington-Open-Carry/