• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Newark Open Carry Meet Ended With Cuffs and Threats Of Arrest

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
It still doesn't say that you have to show physical ID, it says "(A) No person who is in a public place shall refuse to disclose the person’s name, address, or date of birth, when requested by a law enforcement officer who reasonably suspects either of the following:". Where does it say, show physical ID? I just see, "disclose the person’s name, address, or date of birth". I can do that verbally, I do not need an ID to do that.

Correct, it says disclose. How you disclose is your decision. But. please stop promoting the entire section. It's disclose name only. Nothing else.

Of course CC in Ohio is different. CC license and a picture ID as well, government issued no less, must be proffered if requested by LEO.

D_Weezy

Correct, it says disclose. How you disclose is your decision. But. please stop promoting the entire section. It's disclose name only. Nothing else.

Of course CC in Ohio is different. CC license and a picture ID as well, government issued no less, must be proffered if requested by LEO.

"It's disclose name only", You might want to read that again. It says "(A) No person who is in a public place shall refuse to disclose the person’s name, address, or date of birth, when requested by a law enforcement officer who reasonably suspects either of the following:". These are serial comma. They are used to include all items of a list, in a sentence. Therefore, a Law Enforcement Officer may ask for one, any, or all of these items, if they have reasonable suspicion that "(1) The person is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a criminal offense." Show me how, this does not include all three items in the list of the sentence and how, it is used just for "the person's name"?

Last edited:

D_Weezy

I forgot, that the "2921.29 Failure to disclose personal information." law, also includes certain crimes that you are a witness to, but I digress.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
"It's disclose name only", You might want to read that again. It says "(A) No person who is in a public place shall refuse to disclose the person’s name, address, or date of birth, when requested by a law enforcement officer who reasonably suspects either of the following:". These are serial comma. They are used to include all items of a list, in a sentence. Therefore, a Law Enforcement Officer may ask for one, any, or all of these items, if they have reasonable suspicion that "(1) The person is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a criminal offense." Show me how, this does not include all three items in the list of the sentence and how, it is used just for "the person's name"?
Apparently you have chosen not to read my little treatise listed above. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

PS. Based on my above explanation as to why the ORC section does not support your theory is that a friend was acquitted of only giving his name. I'm not an attorney. But, look up the true definition of lawyer. And no, most attorneys are not lawyers.

Last edited:

D_Weezy

Then why don't we have that part of the ORC changed to say, "(A) No person who is in a public place shall refuse to disclose the person’s name when requested by a law enforcement officer, who reasonably suspects either of the following:". and just omit the rest.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Then why don't we have that part of the ORC changed to say, "(A) No person who is in a public place shall refuse to disclose the person’s name when requested by a law enforcement officer, who reasonably suspects either of the following:". and just omit the rest.

Don't ever try to make sense of a law. Example

2927.11 Desecration.
(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall purposely deface, damage, pollute, or otherwise physically mistreat any of the following:
(1) The flag of the United States or of this state;

Privilege means I can desecrate my own flag, First Amendment right.
But why do we even need this law. Criminal damaging is all ready a crime.