Thread: what can/can't you do with a "pistol"?

Post imported post

I've heard that you can't have a VFG or stock on a pistol, such as a glock, without violating the law.

I've also heard that you have to register things like AKs and SCARs, that have folding stocks, as pistols.

What's the difference? And just what are the rules?

Thanks.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

In Michigan, anything under 30" is considered a "pistol" under the law.

If your gun is federally a rifle or shotgun, but is under 30", it must be registered. This is known as a "Michigan Pistol." You may put a VFG on such gun without any ramifications.

If your gun is federally a handgun, you may still put a VFG on it - however, you must apply for and pay for an AOW tax stamp first (These cost $200 to "create" an AOW, and $5 to transfer it to someone).

To explain further, if you have an AK or SCAR that is operable and under 30" when stock is folded, you must register it as a pistol. If it's overall length is under 26" once modified, it's illegal in MI.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Further, anything that's considered a "Pistol" under the law in MI may be carried concealed on your person or in your vehicle under authority of a CPL, subject to the regulations a CPL requires (same as for any other handgun).

You may also legally OC them without a CPL as handguns in MI, the same as any other handgun.

Post imported post

Thanks for the quick and concise reply Ziggity.

I see now that my confusion lie with the intersection of the federal and state laws.