• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what can/can't you do with a "pistol"?

mcintosh02

imported post

I've heard that you can't have a VFG or stock on a pistol, such as a glock, without violating the law.

I've also heard that you have to register things like AKs and SCARs, that have folding stocks, as pistols.

What's the difference? And just what are the rules?

Thanks.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In Michigan, anything under 30" is considered a "pistol" under the law.

If your gun is federally a rifle or shotgun, but is under 30", it must be registered. This is known as a "Michigan Pistol." You may put a VFG on such gun without any ramifications.

If your gun is federally a handgun, you may still put a VFG on it - however, you must apply for and pay for an AOW tax stamp first (These cost $200 to "create" an AOW, and $5 to transfer it to someone).

To explain further, if you have an AK or SCAR that is operable and under 30" when stock is folded, you must register it as a pistol. If it's overall length is under 26" once modified, it's illegal in MI.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Further, anything that's considered a "Pistol" under the law in MI may be carried concealed on your person or in your vehicle under authority of a CPL, subject to the regulations a CPL requires (same as for any other handgun).

You may also legally OC them without a CPL as handguns in MI, the same as any other handgun.